San Juans Winter Climb

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
POLUKO

San Juans Winter Climb

by POLUKO » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:53 pm

Hey Spers, I'm looking to climb some 14ers or 13ers in the San Juans sometime this winter. I just moved to Durango in August and itching to do some winter peaks. Just something moderate, class 2-3 snow/ridge climb type thing. Either with crampon/snowshoes or with skis. I'm the kind of person that goes for the hike, take pictures, and enjoy the scenery and not be stressed that I might die that day. I leave my ego in the bar. Hardest thing I've done is Mt Shasta. I have no avy training, just basic awareness I guess, but I can get rent the gear if needed for free. I am a pretty good downhill skier (25 years) and would like to get into backcountry type stuff. I can get tele skis or carry a light pair I have from the 90's and would love to get out there.

I was thinking the Ice lakes basin or Redcloud/Handies area but I am open to anything. I'm also trying to do some shorter peaks in the La Platas this month with an SPer from far away in Arizona somewhere. I have a 4x4 pickup truck if access is difficult.

I also have a -15 down bag and all other winter camping gear and can pretty much get anything for the outdoors from Fort Lewis. So generally I like to carry in or trailhead camp to acclimate if possible. I spend a lot of time skiing currently so that might not be something I need to do but I find it helps regardless.

Is there anyone out there looking for company? I really want to get some more winter experience, on skis or foot, but I just can't afford to take avalanche classes. I live in Durango and just going to school so i'm not that busy most of the time.

Return to Colorado