Just Finished Seven Summits And Selling New and Used Gear

A forum for members looking to buy and sell gear from and to each other.
colinr

Re: Just Finished Seven Summits And Selling New and Used Gea

by colinr » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:13 pm

Something practical seems to have come from all this talk of trophy hunting: http://www.summitpost.org/users/ugandasafari/75249

Funny, I was just fixing a gorilla toy for my kids today. It happens to play the number one song from the week I was born (my wife got it for me one Valentine's Day not realizing the coincidence). The song?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGXSRISBu3Y[/youtube]

Why did she get it for me? I have a picture of a silverback gorilla next to my bed. Duh!

colinr

by colinr » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:20 pm

MoapaPk wrote:Personally, I'd be interested in a motivational talk from http://latino.myspace.com/johnchristiana .

Wow! A wealth of information and inspiration. I can see the connection so clearly:

About me:
“Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains or slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take but as for me; give me liberty or give me death!”.... ~Patrick Henry, March 23, 1775 speech to inspire The American Revolution “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”..... ~Patrick Henry............. The liberties of a people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them.".... ~Patrick Henry............. “It is natural for man to indulge in the illusions of hope. We are apt to shut our eyes against a painful truth, and listen to the song of that siren till she transforms us into beasts... For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth, to know the worst, and to provide for it.”.... ~Patrick Henry.............. "Bad men cannot make good citizens. It is when a people forget God that tyrants forge their chains. A vitiated state of morals, a corrupted public conscience, is incompatible with freedom. No free government, or the blessings of liberty, can be preserved to any people but by a firm adherence to justice, moderation, temperance, frugality, and virtue; and by a frequent recurrence to fundamental principles.”.... ~Patrick Henry QUOTE: "To Summit, I have to push myself to extremes never before realized by me, which is pretty out there." John Christiana wrote (verbatim) in his journal May 9, 2005 before climbing to the summit of Everest.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:59 pm

I'm trying to be ironic. Presumably you know what happened with JC a few years back -- google his name with arson or Patriarch Grove. He is an argument for using supplemental O2 on Everest.

We shouldn't stereotype 7-summiters. We might also unjustly stereotype lawyers, and presume that all lawyers fit that mold. Personally, I've known lawyers who didn't fit the stereotype.

colinr

by colinr » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:04 am

MoapaPk wrote:I'm trying to be ironic.

Yes, of course!

Presumably you know what happened with JC a few years back -- google his name with arson or Patriarch Grove.

I knew the story, but not the name; even more ironic with that clarification!

He is an argument for using supplemental O2 on Everest.

:lol: That is the vibe his page seemed to give. Very much about the government needing to be moderate, but no need for individuals to be moderate as well. ME!ME! ME! sort of value/virtue system. Someone mentioned something on there about pictures of nude young children as well.

We shouldn't stereotype 7-summiters. We might also unjustly stereotype lawyers, and presume that all lawyers fit that mold. Personally, I've known lawyers who didn't fit the stereotype.

That's a big part of what got several us to post counterpoints to the calling out of the OP, adding to the entertainment and length of this thread. The hypocrisy of what many of us write on here is hilarious (myself included at times), especially when context is confused, but what fun is temperance and moderation when posting? Less risk than when not being moderate in the mountains I suppose, but what will happen with SP and with smart phone addicts as it gets easier to access the internet while still in the mountains? I guess Jordan Romero's story started to show some of that to the world. My wife now expects texts from summits or a SPOT message when that isn't possible. I'm not complaining that I have avoided trouble, but as of yet, that is all I've used those devices for in the mountains. I could Facebook about where I am too if I so desired. I bet there are some who will get into trouble a la those who follow their car GPS units too literally. A whole nother can of worms to discuss that was touched on a bit in this thread I suppose.

Edit: I dig placing blame for stuff...so now I know who to blame for when I drove up toward White Mountain Peak a few months ago and got a screw in my tire. I suspect the screw was related to the reconstruction going on up there. My family and I actually had fun changing the tire. After an incident in Death Valley involving tires that were recalled around the same time ours blew, we got some thick, high quality tires, so I was surprised to get a flat despite the notoriety of that road.

Pyroman9

by Pyroman9 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:15 am

Just a quick question...

Did anyone ask him about the actual climbs? did he use a guide service on all? if so how much support and what kind???

I recall a thread I was on that I mentioned I just got back from Aconcagua... people gave me all sorts of shit. Not once did they take the time to ask about who I was and what I did there. Then they found out the actual story and all shutup.

Either way, congrats Chapter 11. This was a big goal of yours and I give you props. PM sent to ya.

The following user would like to thank Pyroman9 for this post
Baarb, lcarreau, Marmaduke

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:31 am

Dow, don't you guide?

Pyroman9

by Pyroman9 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:30 pm

There is a major difference in those who get a guide just for logistics or something... and a guide with 20 porters. and not one person has asked that yet. just pointing that out....

Baarb

by Baarb » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:18 pm

I think there have been 2 posts on here actually iterating what the basis of much of the vitriol is and I'm glad for them, particularly Dow's last one as there's actually an explanation in there. Thus couldn't we have just started out with "Those prices seem quite high because of X, Y, Z. The way you have phrased your post could be construed as exploitative even if there is no evidence for that as we don't know anything about you or your motives. Please expand further on you escapades or reduce the details to the minimum." Climbing has been described as a selfish sport, but there's also a lot of team-work and camaraderie. Not sure why that can't extend to message boards at least until there's some viable information to work with.

The following user would like to thank Baarb for this post
aran

DK

by DK » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:14 pm

Even if you get guides to summit mountains, it is still an accomplishment. It's not like the guides *carry* you up!

Pity you're "retiring" from mountaineering Chapter 11 :(

Congrats again!

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:32 pm

Based on Dow's stance on this, I wonder if he would turn away business from these "types" of climbers?

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:44 pm

myfierceblackhound wrote:Those of you defending him and congratulating him obviously have no idea how easy it is to buy your way to the top of the 7S.
Jealousy...LMFAO!

Do you speak from experience?

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:08 pm

myfierceblackhound wrote:
Do you speak from experience?

Hell no! I run a puppy mill and collect antique lawn tractors.

Are you seriously trying to have a rational conversation with another anonymous user or are you trying to "win" the internets Moapa?

I never try to win "the internets," but thank you for narrowing down who you are, by the choice of phrase.

JB99

by JB99 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:30 pm

Not much other than jealousy could motivate a totally anonymous person to all but throw on the CAPS LOCK and yell at someone for mentioning why he was selling his gear. Sure, his prices were way too high, but BFD, make him an offer and bring him to reality or don't buy his stuff - pretty simple.

And I call bullshit that the 7 Summits are easy. Sorry, all the money, Sherpas, guides, fixed lines, non-technical terrain etc. wouldn't mean a thing at 29,035 feet. Just because something isn't WI6 or 5.13 doesn't mean it is easy, except by that very specific definition, technically easy. That's very different from just easy - it's easy to flame someone anonymously online because you are jealous of the way they chose to spend their money and the traveling they chose to do with their time.

colinr

by colinr » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:46 pm

sjarelkwint wrote:We can always laugh with it but books like Into Thin Air, Touching The Void and even series like the Everest one on Discovery creates new climbers. We must be gratefull for those who wrote and made those books instead of bashing on them.

Yeah, I really enjoyed watching Touching the Void, seeing those guys survive suffering in challenging circumstances. As far as Into Thin Air, I've been pretty busy for several years and I just don't take time to read books for pleasure much (too much required reading for classes and work). I enjoyed an Extreme Expeditions show last night on National Geographic Channel, even though I wouldn't want to do any of the several activities I watched thrill seekers do. Not my favorite, but this was one:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00WVMXr2lcs[/youtube]

Have to be honest that my own attention is drawn to bigger mountains and more and more I am considering going for them (not everest since it is financially a bitch :-) ) but other ones where you have to put one foot in front of the other without climbing 5.14d pitches, no scottish grade 5 ice and no bivy's of 3 weeks without food before getting back barely alive...Sometimes it is fun to just test you in a physical way. How deep can i go how bad can i suffer... Everest and the other 7 summits are "pretty" easy on a technical level but they are still a physical challenge...It is pretty obvious that the OP looked for a hard physical challenge to do with his father

Yes, differnet people have different interests. I like the physical exertion, views, and occasional suffering gained from a long, high hike, but am not currently interested in the time, energy, and expense required to get into really technical stuff nor spend extended time on one route/trip. It's cool when I've got friends, or better yet, family to hike with, but usually I'm just with my dogs. Maybe that's part of why discussing this stuff is easy for me to not take too seriously. :wink:

no avatar
workmanflock

by workmanflock » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:55 pm

JB99 wrote:
And I call bullshit that the 7 Summits are easy. Sorry, all the money, Sherpas, guides, fixed lines, non-technical terrain etc. wouldn't mean a thing at 29,035 feet. Just because something isn't WI6 or 5.13 doesn't mean it is easy, except by that very specific definition, technically easy. That's very different from just easy - it's easy to flame someone anonymously online because you are jealous of the way they chose to spend their money and the traveling they chose to do with their time.

Didn't you get the message? Anyone not named Messner, Hillary, or Norgay who does Everest is a sellout, rich, route buying pussy.

Bashing 7 summitters is climber chic.

The following user would like to thank workmanflock for this post
JB99

PreviousNext

Return to Classifieds