About to buy my first crampons and I need some help!

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
Snowslydder

About to buy my first crampons and I need some help!

by Snowslydder » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:04 am

I have been mountaineering for 3 years now. I had a hand me down pair of crampons that got lost during my move to California. So know I am on the market for a new pair but with all of the options I really cannot deiced. A buddy of mine that rock climbs pointed me here so I hope you can help.

I do class 1-3 mountaineering. I have done ST helens, hood and baker and some winter hiking. I was looking at a couple of pairs but I really can not figure out which on to pick with all of the different options out there. I was looking at the:

Black Diamond Cyborg
Grivel G-12 New-Matic
Petzl Vasak Crampon

I would use them for snow, ice/glacier and rock travel. I would need them for steep faces as well but not waterfall ice climbing. I am not at that level yet. I appreciate any help

ExcitableBoy

Re: About to buy my first crampons and I need some help!

by ExcitableBoy » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:08 am

Of the three I would recommend the Grivel G-12. I have the Vasak and am not all that impressed with it. BD Cyborg is a much more technical crampon for steep ice and mixed routes.

The following user would like to thank ExcitableBoy for this post
Snowslydder

Snowslydder

by Snowslydder » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:48 am

also if there are any crampons that I have over looked I am open to all suggestions

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:55 am

Snowslydder wrote:also if there are any crampons that I have over looked I am open to all suggestions

The new Petzl Lynx is supposed to be the bee's knees, but is more crampon than you need now and is $245. If you anticipate doing more technical climbs in the future, look at the Grivel G-14 or the Petzl Sarken. That said, Steve House has climbed seriously big, hard stuff with G-12s.

The following user would like to thank ExcitableBoy for this post
Snowslydder

Snowslydder

by Snowslydder » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:12 am

what are the pros and cons of the 12 point vs the 14 point. When it comes to money I would rather buy nice then buy twice.

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:38 pm

The big difference betwetn the G-12s and G-14 are the 12s have horizontal front points and the 14s have forged, 3D vertical front points, which are better in ice.

As for BD Sabertooths, I would buy a used or new old stock CroMoly pair, not the new Stainless Steel ones. http://coldthistle.blogspot.com/2010/11 ... mpons.html

Snowslydder

by Snowslydder » Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:25 am

Thanks for all of the help I bought the G-12s. I am hiking baldy tomorrow so if I run across any good snow I will give them a try.

Return to Gear