What's New in the Midwest...

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Heartland of the America. Hey, this includes Arkansas. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Midwest US Climbing Partners section.
Arthur Digbee

Re: What's New in the Midwest...

by Arthur Digbee » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:40 pm

Tomorrow would mark a full month without a new posting in the entire Midwest region board.

I couldn't let that happen.

What's everyone been up to? I know . . . leaving the Midwest in one way or another. That's what I did.
OCCUPY SUMMITPOST !

outofstep80

by outofstep80 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:21 pm

I was just looking at this the other day and it made me sad also.

I'm back to working a boulder problem I started last spring. I was on it roughly 1x a week last year from may through August. It's a 200' traverse that is pretty over hung.

I think this will be my year to get it. I hope. I have too much time into it to let it go.

MarkDidier

by MarkDidier » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:37 pm

Arthur Digbee wrote:What's everyone been up to? I know . . . leaving the Midwest in one way or another. That's what I did.

It is ironic that most of the posts in this thread are about what us midwesternerns do outside of the midwest. That being said, I've been to North Carolina twice in the past month. Three weeks ago I went on a short weekend trip and hiked Grandfather Mountain...

http://www.summitpost.org/the-grandfather-mountain-traverse/719061...and went back last weekend for a two night backpack in Linville Gorge.

I do hope to post several pages from that trip.

But the rest of the summer is looking pretty dry as far as trail time goes! :(

Arthur Digbee

by Arthur Digbee » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:20 am

MarkDidier wrote:It is ironic that most of the posts in this thread are about what us midwesternerns do outside of the midwest. That being said, I've been to North Carolina twice in the past month. Three weeks ago I went on a short weekend trip and hiked Grandfather Mountain...

http://www.summitpost.org/the-grandfather-mountain-traverse/719061...and went back last weekend for a two night backpack in Linville Gorge.

Wonderful! Keep the pages coming.
OCCUPY SUMMITPOST !

Chinigo

by Chinigo » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:49 pm

Thanks for pushing me to post something here.

Local stuff: I recently put up pages for 2 Michigan county HP's, and I've been working on albums for the Yankee Springs Recreation Area and North Country Trail (NCT) through Michigan. Some of those are still in progress. Also, some of my NCT description from last year is now obsolete, since tornadoes/wind ripped up the Kimball Pines County Park near Battle Creek. The trail was recently completely impassable (and may still be), and once it's cleared it will NOT look the same.

Away stuff: I was in the Northeast last week, and went to NH for a day. So, I put up a trailhead page for Mount Osceola and East Osceola in the White Mountains. Eventually, I'll post an album of the Mount Osceola Trail and a trip report. Unfortunately, I had no views because the summits were in the clouds.

grabbs146

by grabbs146 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:07 pm

Went to devils tower in may and on the way back we stopped at pictured rocks in Iowa. It was a very cool crag along side of a small river. There was some bolted routes and a really cool cave. One down side I didn't see any camp grounds around there.

dwhike

by dwhike » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:54 am

Finally getting around to posting some pages from my trip out to the South Dakota this past May. Just set up a page for White Butte in the Badlands, more to come...

dwhike

by dwhike » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:14 am

dwhike wrote:Finally getting around to posting some pages from my trip out to the South Dakota this past May. Just set up a page for White Butte in the Badlands, more to come...

...and now a trip report for a day hike up Little Devils Tower...

grabbs146

by grabbs146 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:36 pm

just back from Washington and had a great time getting away from the hot weather here in chicago. I went up rainier for my second summit. We had the best weather of the year I think.

dwhike

by dwhike » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:21 pm

Just finished a page for Wind Cave National Park if anyone's interested!

Bubba Suess

by Bubba Suess » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:47 am

I just posted a new route page for the Wichita Mountains. The route is a grand loop passing most of the highlights of the Charon's Garden Wilderness.

This is part of a revamp of the Twin Rocks Mountain page that is currently underway.

Bubba Suess

by Bubba Suess » Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:25 am

Revamp on Twin Rocks Mountaincompleted.

Alpinist

by Alpinist » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:30 am

I finally completed the 50 state highpoints last week and put together an album here. (WooHoo!)

mountainhare

by mountainhare » Tue May 22, 2012 11:26 pm

Just discovered the site, I like it! Looks like there is some great information all around here. Obviously the Midwest doesn't compare to the Appalachians or the wonderful West, but if you have to live here, you may as well enjoy the regional stuff until you can get some extended travel time.

Just spent a weekend in the Saint Francois Mountains and, for me, it's second only to the Upper Peninsula for most enjoyable area of the Midwest.

Stu Brandel

by Stu Brandel » Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:19 pm

I just had a great couple days in the Porcupine Mountains near Memorial Day. Planning my drive from Chicago, I came across the Alligator Eye. For more, see this:

http://www.summitpost.org/alligator-eye/794272

The following user would like to thank Stu Brandel for this post
Arthur Digbee

PreviousNext

Return to Midwest (Great Plains, Great Lakes)