Zion day hikes in April

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the great state of Utah, from the alpine peaks to the desert slots. Please post partners requests and trip plans here or in the Utah Climbing Partners section.
Fettster

Zion day hikes in April

by Fettster » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:01 am

Any recommendations for 3 days of day hiking Zion NP in mid-April? There are probably some good threads on this already so feel free to share those. Up to 12 miles a day would be fine.

Thanks!

lcarreau

Re: Zion day hikes in April

by lcarreau » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:45 pm

http://www.summitpost.org/users/tanya/34842

This member seems to have some reliable information on Zion - expect a lot of rain during the month of April !
"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

Stu Brandel

by Stu Brandel » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:47 pm

I recommend as the top 3 (keeping in mind the 12 mile limit ):

Partial West Rim (Grotto to top of Angels Landing, then continue on to the stunning West Rim overlooks). This is great even if you turn around and go back at the top of Angels Landing.

Zion Narrows from the bottom (IF water conditions allow - check first). Go as far north as you are comfortable going and turn back. Only the first mile or so is trail, then you get wet, wade and even swim in spots.

Left Fork hike to Subway from the bottom (permit required, get this the day before you do the hike and check water condiitons). Expect to get wet, esp near end).

Other nice ones: Observation Point

These are all stunning. If you want to go off trail there are other options too.

SiriusPhotog

by SiriusPhotog » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:19 pm

I have to echo what Stu said. Except I'd put Subway at the top of the list. My personal favorite in Zion.

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:28 pm

For one day, you might consider a handful of shorter hikes in Zion Canyon such as Emerald Pools, Weeping Rock, and the trail to the mouth of the Narrows. Unless you're equipped for cold water, you probably don't want to get wet at that time of year there.

As already suggested, Angels Landing is good. If you have issues with crowds, make sure to go very early or very late in the day.

Something I strongly recommend: starting from the Weeping Rock shuttle stop and hiking up through Echo Canyon and from there to Observation Point. I can think of no more scenic day hike you can do on a trail in the park than that one.

If Kolob Terrace Road is open, consider hiking from the Wildcat TH to the overlook between the Northgate Peaks. East Northgate Peak is as easy as Class 2. West Northgate is a little spicier but is more aesthetic.

On the east side, consider pairing the Root Canals (specifically Many Pools Canyon) and the Tunnel Overlook into one day, or wander the unnamed canyons and slickrock domes.

A little west of Springdale is the Chinle Trail, which does not penetrate the canyons but has nice views of the peaks and where there is also a lot of petrified wood on display.
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)

Fettster

by Fettster » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:17 pm

I'll be staying at the Watchman CG. Are there any options for showers anywhere without getting a hotel room?

Scott Wesemann

by Scott Wesemann » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:01 pm

I have spent a lot of time in Zion and my top choice would be the East Rim trail. It is one of the most amazing trails I have ever been on. The West Rim trail is also awesome and would be my second choice. The hikes around Zion Canyon are all great, but if you want a longer hike do the East or West Rim and throw in Angels Landing on the WR.

I made an attempt to run the entire length of the park last year and did the East and part of the West rim trails. Check out my trip report for some pics. The first group of pictures is from the East Rim and the second from the West.

http://scottwesemann.blogspot.com/2011/06/zion-traverse-attempt.html

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:59 pm

Fettster wrote:I'll be staying at the Watchman CG. Are there any options for showers anywhere without getting a hotel room?

I got this off the nps.gov website:

Springdale is adjacent to Zion Canyon; pay showers, a small market, firewood, laundromats, a limited medical clinic, and restaurants are available. Springdale can be reached from the campgrounds by car, foot, bicycle, or free shuttle (April through October).

I can't figure out if this is Zion Canyon Campground in Springdale, but would be worth looking into ..

no avatar
erial

by erial » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:09 am

For years I availed myself of the showers at Zion Canyon Campgrounds in Sprindale. You'd pay a couple dollars at the office. Last time I visited, the office folks said that only those staying in their campground could partake of the showers. Hopefully, that policy has been rescinded. You might want to call them for current info.

If you plan on a day trip up to Bryce, that park has shower facilities.

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:28 am

erial wrote: Last time I visited, the office folks said that only those staying in their campground could partake of the showers. Hopefully, that policy has been rescinded. You might want to call them for current info.

Yes, might want to take this man's advise. It's been several years since I took a shower ... in Springdale ... boy, do I STINK !!! :shock:

Fettster

by Fettster » Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:50 am

Where can I buy gas canisters near Zion for a gas canister stove?

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:29 pm

If you're driving from Vegas, Outdoor Outlet in St. George has cannisters and whatever else you might need. If you're driving down from Salt Lake, there's an REI right off the interstate. The outfitters in Springdale surely has cannisters and will have up to date info on water conditions in the Narrows and can rent you a dry suit if yo decide to hike up to the Narrows.

Fettster

by Fettster » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:50 pm

Stu Brandel wrote:Partial West Rim (Grotto to top of Angels Landing, then continue on to the stunning West Rim overlooks). This is great even if you turn around and go back at the top of Angels Landing.

Anyone been to Zion lately? Is the trail melted out to the West Rim overlooks? I'll be there in about a week.

Fettster

by Fettster » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:32 am

I called the backcountry office today. Apparently snow should be a non-issue for the West Rim trail, though there is quite a bit of mud in places.

Deb

by Deb » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:21 pm

Any idea on how high the Virgin River is running at the cross over for Moonlight Buttress? We'll be fjording it in 2 weeks! =8O

Next

Return to Utah