John Muir Trail/High Sierra Trail Shuttle Service?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
MCGusto

John Muir Trail/High Sierra Trail Shuttle Service?

by MCGusto » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:23 am

Anyone know of a shuttle service that runs for one-way hikers either hiking sections of the John Muir Trail OR for the High Sierra Trail? Trying to organize one of the two trips for some buddies coming from out of town. I know I've heard of buses that run out of the Valley up to Tuolumne, but what about sections further south to Mammoth, Kearsage Pass Trail, etc.?

Any help would be great!

Thanks,

Gusto

snowblind

Re: John Muir Trail/High Sierra Trail Shuttle Service?

by snowblind » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:41 pm

YART runs buses from Yosemite Valley to Mammoth (stops along the way including Tuolumne and June Lake) daily. I believe just 1x each direction a day. It was about $15 to get to Mammoth from Yosemite. I took it last year. It got us to Mammoth at about 7pm and as we wanted to start at night we grabbed a cab after dinner....the cab was a bit spendy (~$40) but there was really no other way to get to the trailhead at night. In the day, you just take the Mammoth shuttle from town to Red's or Agnew. Naturally, both the JMT and SHR sections are easily assessible.

Very easy. I believe further south than Mammoth will be a bit more challenging, but there are folks (maybe cabs) that will do it from Mammoth.

The following user would like to thank snowblind for this post
MCGusto

asmrz

by asmrz » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:13 pm

From Lancaster to Mammoth there is ESTA(?) Eastern Sierra Transit Authority which stops anywhere you want them to. What My wife and I did in 2009, we left our car in Lone Pine with friends, took the ESTA bus to Mammoth, stayed overnight at a Campground across from McDonald's and early next morning took the YART bus to Yosemite. Hiked the JMT from Yosemite to Lone Pine and our car. Worked just fine. Make bus and other arrangements well before your trip.
Last edited by asmrz on Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The following user would like to thank asmrz for this post
MCGusto

dshoshone

by dshoshone » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:20 pm

This bus service runs up and down hwy 395. Eastern Sierra Transit. Yarts runs daily in July and August from Mammoth to Yosemite.

http://estransit.com/pages/bus-routes.php

The following user would like to thank dshoshone for this post
MCGusto

MCGusto

by MCGusto » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:28 am

Just what I was looking for. Thanks guys!

Gusto

no avatar
laisling

by laisling » Sun Aug 22, 2021 8:08 pm

We had a great experience with MAWS (Mammoth All Weather Shuttle). Our driver was knowledgeable and professional; he showed up early; and the vehicle was luxurious. Under no circumstances should you trust East Side Sierra Shuttle (also called Inyo Pro). Paul Fretheim (the owner) cancelled on us the day before our trip and refused to refund our money. We reported him for business fraud.

Return to California