Need help buying serous mountaineering pants

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
no avatar
rsf1961

Re: Need help buying serous mountaineering pants

by rsf1961 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:59 am

Dane1 wrote:Yes, the Neoshell version is a prototype I sourced the fabric for. Only marmot and mammut making production garments using this specific Neoshell fabric currently.

what did you think of neoshell? how did it breath under field conditions in comparison to a non-membrane softshell material like dryskin? is it as stretchy?

Dane1

by Dane1 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:13 pm

Compared to the three versions of Arcteryx pant fabrics and the current NW Apline fabric the Neoshell soft is the warmest and most breathable but least stretchy. It is just stretchy enough and as tough or tougher than most fabrics I have mentioned and not any heavier. May be not the best material for warmer weather use though from what I have whitnessed so far.

My salopettes are 1# 6oz in the NWAlpine fabric which Arcteryx also uses. It is a lwt to mid weight very stretchy fabric which isn't very durable in the long run. 1# 5oz in the Neoshell soft which is much warmer, water proof, very breathable and no question more durable.

I have a Big Four Jacket and the Salopettes in the Neo soft and will be doing a full review and comparison on the blog in April after the next trip north.

Short version? The Neoshell soft is changing the way I dress for winter climbing and the physical comfort level while doing so. All while wearing less and being better protected from any weather.

Big claims I know but true to date. Having used 3 previous hard shell Neoshell garments and being impressed with them, I think the Neoshell soft is THE fabric that will change how we dress for climbing.

no avatar
rsf1961

by rsf1961 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:45 pm

Dane1 wrote: I think the Neoshell soft is THE fabric that will change how we dress for climbing.

That is a pretty strong endorsement. What do you see as the upper temperature range at which it will be too warm, or do we have to wait until your April review for that answer.

Dane1

by Dane1 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:18 pm

rsf1961 wrote:That is a pretty strong endorsement. What do you see as the upper temperature range at which it will be too warm, or do we have to wait until your April review for that answer.

It is a strong endorsement. I had heard rumblings of others making similar comments that I simply didn't believe nor could I appreciate. The buy in @ retail is steep at the moment...$400 or $500 depending on the manufacturer. So not a lot rushing out to snag the two garments that are available.

Temps? This is a fabric that could use some really smart design work. Done right it should do anything you can imagine in the mtns, snow, rain, wind or shine. Done wrong you might think you were wearing a plastic bag I suspect.

Since ya got me started I expanded on this thread for the blog.

http://coldthistle.blogspot.com/2012/03 ... anger.html

Oceansnz

by Oceansnz » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:58 am

All, thanks I really appreciate all of your input, and also the discussion about the Neoshell Soft. I've decided to go with these: http://www.norrona.com/Products/0353-10/dovre-gore-tex-pro-shell-pants-mw

As most of my climbing is lower than 4000m, these Gore-tex pro shell pants with bib connections, side vents...etc should provide the technical needs that I have as well as basic use.

BigMitch

by BigMitch » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:02 pm

OT: Nice ice, Dane1!

Dane1

by Dane1 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:26 pm

OT again but fun anyway :) Last week!

Previous

Return to Gear