Deleting threads

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.
Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

Re: Deleting threads

by Bob Sihler » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:20 pm

If you don't know why a thread entitled "Fuck this all..." isn't appropriate for the front page or why it got deleted after you restored the original title, it's not worth explaining.

I didn't edit the title but did delete the thread after you changed it back. That's all the explanation I'll bother with on this one.
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)

The following user would like to thank Bob Sihler for this post
Fletch, Josh Lewis, Kiefer, Marcsoltan, MarkDidier, PellucidWombat, Sarah Simon

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:30 pm

The title the elves selected was much more descriptive.

mvs

by mvs » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:10 pm

See, I would have seen the change and thought, "huh, I guess I was too offensive, oh well." As long as the content of my message was basically the same, I would have then forgot about the edit and continued learning in the thread.

But Stef you made this about YOU and YOUR FREEDOM and YOUR RIGHTs. :D So now the thread is gone (it had a bunch of good advice from experienced climbers), and you have to find a new website to post it on just so you can have your exact title line.

Ever heard the expression a "mountain out of a molehill?" Sometimes we create our own problems! Anyway, good luck with the big walls man!
--Michael

The following user would like to thank mvs for this post
Kiefer, PellucidWombat, Sarah Simon, Woodie Hopper

Fletch

by Fletch » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:11 pm

sjarelkwint wrote:
Bob Sihler wrote: Fuckin' fuckety fuck.

But using this in a post is allowed? Posted by yourself!

Was he referring to you? :lol:

Kiefer

by Kiefer » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:18 pm

No, actually you are 'arsed' with the edit from Bob. And like MVS already stated, you ARE making this about yourself since no one else seems to have a problem with your title being edited.
Calling attention to yourself because you're not getting your way and validating it by indirectly saying that your 'rights' are being impinged upon in the name of censorship is pretty weak, dude.
The ONLY REASON to use offensive languare, language that I'd say most people would find crude, low-brow, elementary and in my opinion, a sign of weak intelligence when used in this context, is to draw attention to yourself because it's still viewed as "attention-getting" and vulgar no matter how often one chooses to use it.
Obscenities can be useful in certain contexts and do provide a purpose but not how you did. Your intentions were to merely 'stir up the pot'...nothing more...nothing less.
IMO, the Elves should have deleted your thread sooner.

You know, sjarelkwint, I've paid attention to the stuff you've posted here on SP for some time and the overriding majority of the drool you do post is useless and stupid.
I personally think you're useless in as far as helping to build SP into a site that people can go to for viable beta without the political BS that riddles other sites.
Why don't you, for once, try posting either CONSTRUCTIVE information to the boards or God forbid, try putting up a mountain/range/list et al. page for your geographic area.
YOU are a perfect example of someone touting their personal freedoms at the expense of the quality of the medium you're using to do your crying. Kleenex must be cheap in Bulgaria.
And yes...you CAN quote me on all that.

Trust me pal, you say a lot more by the things you're not saying. Go play Farmville :roll: for a while and chill out!

The following user would like to thank Kiefer for this post
chugach mtn boy, Fletch, Sarah Simon

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:26 pm

Because I have a Fuck this all feeling i can't use the f word because of what reason?

People like you are the reason that the rest of us can't access the forums from public places (such as from libraries when we're out travelling). It filters everyone else out from accessing SP. That should be reason enough (at least if you actually cared about anyone else). I have already told you about this before, but you contine to do it just for the sake of being an ______ (fill in the blank with what ever word you want).

What is it going to take to get you to leave SP for good? Maybe we can all pitch in and get donations to make it happen.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:44 pm

NONE of this would have happened if we had php 17.43a, with its intelligent offense-sensing filters.

Let's get back to the important stuff. Is it possible to climb a big wall with those suction-cup things that I see in action movies? Can I rappel on 3mm cord? Why not? It's my right. OK then, where can I rent 4mm cord?

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:47 pm

Don't know what kind of filters your libraries use but i never had a problem with accessing SP for any reason ...

And others of us do have a problem accessing.

It isnt about personal freedom it is about giving a reason why something is not allowed ...

What's wrong with my reason?

PS, kids also use this website, but that might not be a good reason for you.

You have never told me anything about it Scott so please clarify yourself!

I told you (more than once) by PM during our coversation of SP ownership. I have a draft copy of it at home and will show it to you. You used the english is my second or third language excuse or something like that.

There were several old threads explaining the problem as well.

The following user would like to thank Scott for this post
Josh Lewis

mvs

by mvs » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:19 pm

sjarelkwint wrote:
Why don't the elves just use a word-filter so every f-word would show up as "f-word" which is like 2 seconds of work in phpBB?

Oh because THAT would be okay. Lessee...editing your post to manually remove an f-word: INTOLERABLE. Automatically removing your f-words: COMPLETELY ACCEPTABLE.

Today anyway. For this specific case. :roll:

The following user would like to thank mvs for this post
Sarah Simon

kevin trieu

by kevin trieu » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:35 pm

I felt really bad that EB gave you an honest answer and even offer a partner. I really don't think you deserve any reasonable explanation and adult treatment from the elves or any other respectable members on this website. Your post was trolling at best.

The following user would like to thank kevin trieu for this post
Fletch, Sarah Simon

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:01 pm

sjarelkwint wrote:
Bob Sihler wrote: Fuckin' fuckety fuck.

But using this in a post is allowed? Posted by yourself!

:lol:

Stef, we're talking about the title of a thread on the front page, not the contents of a thread, especially one in Off-Route. Can't you do better than that?

Context for anyone bored enough to take an interest: http://www.summitpost.org/phpBB3/post783718.html?hilit=Fuckin%27%20fuckety%20fuck#p783718.

Stef, have a great trip to the Sierra Nevada this summer. Actually, I'll be out there around the same time myself. If we run into each other, we can drink some Belgian ales by a real campfire and you can tell me how awful I am!
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)

Fletch

by Fletch » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:27 pm

sjarelkwint wrote:What might seem vulgar for some, might seem normal to others. And probably most americans would use the same language in a speaking form as the language I used. If you read the post give me an alternative which expresses the same feeling but doesn't involve any vulgar language ...

That's bullshit. And 'Americans' is capitalized.

The following user would like to thank Fletch for this post
Josh Lewis, mvs

Bob Burd
Forum Moderator

by Bob Burd » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:45 pm

I really love the martyr routine. And I don't think I owe you an explanation for getting rid of a "Fuck" in a thread title in the regular forums. As others said - that should be obvious. If it makes you feel better, go ahead and downvote some of my pages or pictures. I especially get rankled over 8s. Drives me up a wall.

Vitaliy M.

by Vitaliy M. » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:30 pm

WOW Did you really need a "We edited the word "FUCK" out of your thread's name because SP is a public site, and we do not like this language on our front page." note????

Especially after stating you want to top rope the Nose!

Next

Return to Site Feedback