Bad TV research

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
ExcitableBoy

Bad TV research

by ExcitableBoy » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:45 am

Watching the TV show 'Life'. Episode centers around two friends who climb K2. The climbers, 'tethered together' fall at 12,000 ft. That's not even near base camp, much less high enough to be climbing, no? Also, both climbers have Buddist flags from the trip. Pakistan is a predominantly Muslim country no?

DK

Re: Bad TV research

by DK » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:29 am

ROFL: maybe they fell into a deep hole :P

Baarb

by Baarb » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:07 am

Do you have a link to something about the show? The two I could find were about a cop and a wildlife documentary. The one with the cop had a Zen theme running through it apparently, Buddhist link there.

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:17 am

Life, season 2, episode 13 'Re-Entry': http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1185950/

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:27 am

The show is a mystery, wrapped in an enigma, wrapped in bacon. Its delightful.

The following user would like to thank ExcitableBoy for this post
PellucidWombat

dadndave
Forum Moderator

by dadndave » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:53 am

I thought, for a horrible minute, that you were talking about a news or current affairs program.

Mind you, nothing would surprise me these days. Just the other day there was a TV news item on Sydney TV channel 7 which introduced an interviewee as just having become the first woman to summit Everest without oxygen! I didn't catch her name because I was a bit taken aback by the intro. She didn't correct it, but to be fair, as she was being interviewed by video link, it's possible that she didn't hear the claim made in the intro.
The strawman is evil and must be punished,

Damien Gildea

by Damien Gildea » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:16 am

ExcitableBoy wrote:... both climbers have Buddist flags from the trip. Pakistan is a predominantly Muslim country no?

Now then, we've been through this. Climbers take Tibetan prayer flags all over the world and leave them behind on summits. It shows they're 'spiritual' and enlightened and not your average white bread yankee christian. They're cool, brah, so stop the hatin'. They may or may not be the same flags strung from their home balconies etc to show everyone that they've been to a souvenir shop in Asia. Or Boulder. Using other cultures' religious icons for your own personal expression of individuality and cool is way cool, brah.

And anyway, if Buddha is truly compassionate surely he'd protect your ass on that nasty terroristy K2, not just nice smiley Nepalese, Tibetan and Indian mountains, right?

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:50 am

K2 is also a sub-peak in Colorado. Maybe they fell off that one. People sometimes leave prayer flags on Colorado summits.

When someone ask about my climbing resume, I can always say that I've climbed K2 and Devils Thumb. Just don't tell anyone that they are the Colorado ones.

K2:

(Kiefer's photo). No SP page since it's a sub-peak.

Devils Thumb:

http://www.summitpost.org/devils-thumb/154398

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:01 am

In general, I've found that television fiction shows are extremely accurate. I'm shocked that you find errors in this one.

The following user would like to thank MoapaPk for this post
lcarreau

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:50 pm

MoapaPk wrote:In general, I've found that television fiction shows are extremely accurate. I'm shocked that you find errors in this one.

"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

surgent

by surgent » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:37 pm

MoapaPk wrote:In general, I've found that television fiction shows are extremely accurate. I'm shocked that you find errors in this one.

I agree. In fact, everything I know about the Las Vegas area I have gleaned from watching episodes of CSI-Las Vegas. For example, I know that Las Vegas and surrounding lands look shockingly similar to Lake Castaic and the Newhall areas north of Los Angeles.

To the gent who has climbed K2, but not the Pakistani K2, I am with you, man. You may also consider climbing Orizaba, the island highpoint of Catalina Island off of the L.A. coast. Me, I have climbed the highest point of McKinley ... County, New Mexico.

Why, I bet we could find littler, easier peaks with the same names as their more famous brethren. We could call it the "Weenie 7 Summits". Thirteen year old kids who do them would be called heros.

Lastly, watching one of those real-life crime re-enactment shows recently about a Phoenix-area housewife killed by her husband in Puerto Penasco, Mexico, they needed some stock footage of "Mexico" for the show. They accomplished this by quick, blurry road shots around Scottsdale and the Papago Buttes in Tempe. So now I know what Mexico probably looks like.

surgent

by surgent » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:33 pm

3Deserts wrote:
surgent wrote:To the gent who has climbed K2, but not the Pakistani K2, I am with you, man. You may also consider climbing Orizaba, the island highpoint of Catalina Island off of the L.A. coast. Me, I have climbed the highest point of McKinley ... County, New Mexico.

Impressive!

But I've bettered you by naming a small outcrop of rock on my hill behind my house Everest. And I have climbed it.

Many, many, many times.

But have you done it without oxygen?

simonov

by simonov » Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:09 pm

If you know anything about firearms, movies and teevee are almost unwatchable.

Of course, even the newspapers are hard to take sometimes:

This article caught my eye this last week. I mean, I know it's the New York Daily News and all, but few mainstream media articles are as full of fail.
Nunc est bibendum.

Ben Beckerich

by Ben Beckerich » Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:21 am

My wife and I were just talking about this last night. I happen to be both climber and firearms "enthusiast" (for simplicity), and pretty much can't enjoy any action flick. The complaint in question was the intro to Mission Impossible II, which somebody had posted here the other day.... I said, "Climbing is already freaken badass and crazy impressive to most people to begin with- why do they feel the need to exaggerate physical possibilities like that?" To which she replied, "climbing actually ISN'T impressive to most people- not the current generation, who's seen it all a thousand times on TV and isn't impressed by anything."

Think she's right?
where am i going... and why am i in this handbasket?

Hotoven

by Hotoven » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:05 pm

I think people may find it more "interesting" than "impressive" these days.
"Hey, careful, man, there's a beverage here!"
- The Dude, Lebowski

Next

Return to General