Sleeping Bag

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
no avatar
j4ever

Sleeping Bag

by j4ever » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:36 am

I liked to get some recommendations for a 0 degree sleeping bag,i know i can search and compare but would really like to hear from everyones experience,i am looking at Marmot Lithium +0 sleeping bag,just under 3 pounds and 850 fill goose down but at 500 bucks not sure i want to pay that much. Be for Mountains like Shasta,Rainier,Aconcagua,i have a 15 degree bag that i used on shasta once but would like something just a little warmer. Thanks.

ExcitableBoy

Re: Sleeping Bag

by ExcitableBoy » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:43 am

Western Mountaineering and Feathered Friends make the best bags. You could actually get a lighter bag (maybe +10) that would be as warm as a Marmot 0. FWIW, I have used my WM Apache Super Dryloft rated to +15 on Shasta, Ranier (including multiple winter ascents) Mt Hunter, Mt Barille, Pk 11,300, Mt Dickey, and the Mooses Tooth in AK in spring.

radson

by radson » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:40 am

Kai

by Kai » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:30 am

Marmot Lithium is worth the $$$.

Terrific bag, with enough room inside that you can wear warm clothing in the bag so that you can push the temperature even lower.

I have one and love it.

no avatar
mconnell

by mconnell » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:24 pm

Kai brings up a good point. I have a Feathered Friends 10 degree bag (Lark). I love the bag, but I wouldn't use it on Aconcagua. The bag is cut very tight and does not have enough room to wear much warm clothing. No matter which bag you get, make sure that it has some extra space in it if you are going to use it as an expedition bag.

As for which bag is the "best", I don't see a huge difference. I have used FF bags for 15 years, and used to sell Marmot bags. Not a lot of difference in quality.

radson

by radson » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:52 pm

I have been wondering about this. Would be good if a manufacturer made a bag just for base camp use. Roomy ,warm and with many pockets. Something that wouldn't be taken up to the higher camps.
Last edited by radson on Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
j4ever

by j4ever » Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:19 am

thanks fellows i will check all these out,when fitting for a bag should you get it big enough to have a few inches of space between your feet and the end of the bag? the bag i have now i have about 6-8 inches of space and have been putting my puffy jacket there when i sleep,i am 72 inches tall and wondering if i would fit into a 72 inch bag,thank you again.

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:08 am

I'm 69" tall and use a 72" bag, which is perfect for me to put boot liners or whatever in to keep from freezing. You may want a longer bag so your feet are not compressing the insulation and you have plenty of room for boot liners, without too much room because then you have a lot of air space to heat up. BTW, you should either be wearing your puffy or draping it over the bag. That is one reason why a 15 degree bag is not warm enough, either that or it is a poor quality bag.

adventurer

by adventurer » Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:25 pm

I used a Marmot Couloir "0" bag on Aconcagua in 2007. I was comfortably warm even when the ambient air temps were in the -20F range.

I'd suggest that you consider getting the longer bag so you'll have plenty of room for wearing extra clothes as well as shoving your boots (or liners), water bottle, etc in the bag with you.
"When you travel, if you avoid the people, reject the food, ignore the customs, and fear the religion..... you might as well stay home"
James A. Michener

no avatar
j4ever

by j4ever » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:10 pm

thanks for replies fellows, the bag i have now is sierra design pyro 15,tha last time i used it was on shasta,it was about 25f,i put my puffy at my feet to keep them warm,seemed my feet were getting a little cold even with 2 pairs of heavy socks on,i slept in synthetic top and bottoms with soft shell pants on,and on top also had synthetic t-shirt and soft shell top and beanie on head,i was ok in the bag with all this on,but like i said it was about 25f so not sure how warm i would have been at 20 degrees less,my pad was therm-a-rest z lite full length. Western Mountaineering looks like they have some great bags and very lite. If you get a 0 bag that weighs 3 # vs a 0 bag that weighs 2 # will the heavier bag be warmer?

Rick Huff

by Rick Huff » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:55 am

I'm another one who likes the Marmot Couloir. It's usually at least $50 cheaper than the Lithium and only a few ounces heavier...if cost is the main issue. If it isn't, you can't beat Western Mountaineering or Feathered Friends for quality...with Marmot pretty close. Good luck!

Return to Gear