Camping at Capitol Creek/West Snowmass

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
Scott
Forum Moderator

Camping at Capitol Creek/West Snowmass

by Scott » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:51 am

Does anyone know if camping at the Capitol Creek or West Snowmass Creek Trailheads is legal or if there are any good car campsites there? I need the information for the new SP page (old maintainter is gone). I want to make sure the information on the SP page is 100% accurate.

I've been to Capitol Creek twice, but the first time was when everything was still snow covered and the second time we drove from here in the morning. I've only been to West Snowmass in winter.

Thanks.

Gareth

Re: Camping at Capitol Creek/West Snowmass

by Gareth » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:36 pm

As far as I know you can camp at the Capitol Creek trailhead. I've done it once without any issue. I can't say that I have found any "good" sites there, however. If you continue a ways up the 4wd road past the trailhead there are some campsites. I've also spent a night camped out on the second hill/rounded ridge back above the trailhead, but it was nothing more that pitching a tent in the tall grass under some aspens.

The following user would like to thank Gareth for this post
Scott

Kane

by Kane » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:02 am

Hi Scott, there is plenty of flat areas to set up a tent at the Cap Creek TH. And it's legal if you don't mind cows and the stuff they leave behind. Like Gareth notes, there's even more camping on the road that ascends from the TH to the Hardscrabble Lake TH. There is no camping whatsoever at the West Snowmass Lake TH.

The following user would like to thank Kane for this post
Scott

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:45 am

Thanks for the info.

Return to Colorado