Telescope Peak snow-- March 2012

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
colinr

Re: Telescope Peak snow-- March 2012

by colinr » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:45 pm

Aside from a small amount of snow/ice left above 7,000 feet when I was there in late February, the road to Mahogany Flat seemed to be very much in passenger car condition. I agree with MoapaPk that the likelihood of much erosion damage is low this spring. I wouldn't be surprised if the road has been snow free since I was there. Although snow is possible today, it is likely that no precipation has fallen the past three weeks. If going in the summer, I suppose thunderstorms could cause the road to roughen. We actually had rare significant thunderstorms on the coast last night and in the central valley the past couple of days.

As far as anyone interested in the hike, about a week ago snow was visible on Telescope, but from a distance, Rogers, Bennett, and most of the approach looked snow-free. I also saw the recent trip report from late March and looked back at some of my own pictures from late February. I suspect snow and mud can now be avoided (especially if willing to leave the main trail) with the exception of hiking the final ridge/switchbacks to Telescope peak (ridge would be more advisable in slick conditions). Barring much new accumulation, I suspect the small amount of snow that is left won't last long this time of year.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:12 pm

Our own Darija just did a Badwater-Telescope and back marathon ... very little snow.

ExploreABitMore

by ExploreABitMore » Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:36 pm

lasvegaswraith wrote:Last I heard Furnace Creek was in the $5.90 range. The guyz are right; SW is usually cheaper, but the one u REALLY want to avoid is Panamint Springs Shell. Most expensive gas I ever saw - $6.11 a couple years ago on the way to the Sierra.

Yep, I paid 6.00 for 91 octane on Mar 31. (dual sport bike)

Don't remember what Stovepipe was at - but was probably similar.

Trona still has no gas as of the 31st

boyblue

by boyblue » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:35 pm

FC last Thursday the 12th:

GasPrices.jpg
Furnace Creek
GasPrices.jpg (395.93 KiB) Viewed 2664 times

I could be mistaken, but I think Stovepipe was $4.88, which would explain the lines we usually saw at their 2 pumps.

Do you think ten years from now people will be laughing at pictures like this and wondering what we were complaining about?

colinr

by colinr » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:04 pm

Regarding the last couple of posts mentioning trends in fuel prices/consumption, there was another thread with even more discussion of that:

http://www.summitpost.org/phpBB3/sierra-nevada-gas-prices-t61662-15.html

Regarding the OP, he already stated that he was saving the Telescope hike for another time. Nevertheless, the SP forums and climbers logs have potential to be one of the best sources for detailed current conditions on many peaks if members choose to report such conditions. BTW, the nearby weather station measured over half an inch of rain yesterday. There is probably a beautiful layer of fresh snow on the route today. If willing to deal with the conditions, it ought to be very scenic there this week.

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:32 pm

Gas was, as shown, $5.80 at Furnace Creek last week. We didn't check Stovepipe because we wanted to fill up closer to the dirt roads we'd be venturing off on.

Telescope's head was cut off most of the day on Wednesday with what looked like rain or snow, and there was snow atop Vegas-area peaks Friday afternoon and yesterday morning.

Pinang-- nice troll! I already stated the missus had opted out of Telescope and that I'd try it myself in July. If the summit register still goes back to March 1997, you'd find my name there, but I rarely sign registers nowadays, anyway, seeing them and cairns as blights.

However, I did see your real name in the North Guardian Angel register on April 7, and I did sign that one simply to leave a comment for the other SPers who'd signed it last fall. So you climbed NGA on your birthday? Cool!
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)

Previous

Return to California