2012 Glacier stoke thread

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Northern Rockies. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Northern Rockies Climbing Partners section.
brooksmcclintock

2012 Glacier stoke thread

by brooksmcclintock » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:17 am

Well this may be an early starter this year at Glacier. Let's get the stoke and pos+ vibes going for the season by sending some teton research our way. You got photos, routes, topos, trip reports, guns, beer, fishin, wing suits throw it in the thread for others to see.

Here's a few photos from a Kintla trip I did with fellow and past GPI employees last year in August, photos source from my friend k. lockman.

RoryKuykendall

Re: 2012 Glacier stoke thread

by RoryKuykendall » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:36 am

Oh, I'm stoked bro. And so is David Walburn...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ok6UAxugYpA[/youtube]

GlacierCountry

by GlacierCountry » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:33 pm

Going to be a great summer in GNP. Looking forward to some more peaks including Cleveland and St. Nicholas this year. I have 4 days off each week so I'm pretty stoked to get some rubber worn off my boots!
Mountains and Music

brooksmcclintock

by brooksmcclintock » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:51 pm

When are you planning on St. Nick? I'll be in the East Glacier area starting may and then west glacier starting june. Have two weeks off before I start work at L. Mcdon. Usually two days off during the week, have pretty much all the essentials for a typical climb in glacier. PM me if you need a partner in climbs!

RoryKuykendall

by RoryKuykendall » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:58 am

Bump for still being stoked.

brooksmcclintock

by brooksmcclintock » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:51 pm

I'm there in 15 more days!!!!!! First up on the list is a potholed ascent of calf robe or elk mountain...whichever heeds my call! YEEEHAW MANTANA

Stimmy, Kinnerly, Cleveland/merrit, Skyline experience, ipasha, Blackiston....oh the many names on this year's climb list!

GET ITT

GlacierCountry

by GlacierCountry » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:02 am

Been getting some snow up here! Spring climbing is going to be fun
Mountains and Music

brooksmcclintock

by brooksmcclintock » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:23 am

"Will it ski?" Runs through my head right about now. Too bad I can't do anything like that till the winter season. Doc says I have some more physical therapy on the shoulder (AC ligament separation hitting a tree skiing) before I can pole plant and swish the corns this spring. Looks like I'll be skiing the trees at the FISH!

In regards to stoke, who's got some wood for this fire!?? I want to see some scree from you guys!

GlacierCountry

by GlacierCountry » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:47 am

I don't know how to post a pic. Crap. Let me see if I can figure it out and I'll put up a couple quick shots for ya
Mountains and Music

RoryKuykendall

by RoryKuykendall » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:39 am

Sperry Glacier Basin Stoke:Image
Red Mountain Stoke:Image
Giant Moraines Stoke:Image
Ipasha Summit Shot Stoke:Image
Telling Ely to Climb Inside of a Grizzly Bear Den and Give Me a "Hang Loose" Stoke:Image
Last edited by RoryKuykendall on Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

RoryKuykendall

by RoryKuykendall » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:39 am

S-T-O-K-E-D-!

EarMountain

by EarMountain » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:15 pm

Here's two from last year.

1. One of my favorite views in the park is from the Summit of Cathedral Mountain looking toward Mount Merritt.

2. From the summit of Edwards Mountain in September.

Ear Mountain Photography.
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2012.

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:52 pm

Waiting to find out what backpacking itineraries I got in the lottery. Then it'll be time to get stoked about something specific!
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)

brooksmcclintock

by brooksmcclintock » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:44 pm

RoryKuykendall wrote:Red Mountain Stoke:Image

RED!!! What date do you recall your trip to red? We attempted last year when there was still a bit of snow on top of red/ridge between spot mtn. and red mtn. We didn't have the time/weather to even think about crossing that snowy ridge btwn the two. We were there early july/late june if I recall correctly, and there was still snow on most of the tops of the 8.5+ in the twomed/cutbank area.

RoryKuykendall

by RoryKuykendall » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:10 am

RED!!! What date do you recall your trip to red? We attempted last year when there was still a bit of snow on top of red/ridge between spot mtn. and red mtn. We didn't have the time/weather to even think about crossing that snowy ridge btwn the two. We were there early july/late june if I recall correctly, and there was still snow on most of the tops of the 8.5+ in the twomed/cutbank area.

Brooks,

We did Red Mountain sometime in late July. Your boy Sean Doyle is in that photo, second from the front (with the large hind quarters). We hiked up the Pitamakan Pass trail for about three miles, then did an ascending traverse to the summit of Red from the southeast. We didn't have to deal with anything worse than class three. There was very little snow. Nothing sketchy at all (I'm strictly a fair weather mountaineer, if there is such a thing). It's one of my favorite summits of the ones I've done in Glacier. I like it because its one of the 25 highest in the park, yet it's not in any guide books (maybe it's in FlatheadNative's new one?) and rarely gets climbed. The views are remote and spectacular. I HIGHLY recommend it. Feel free to contact me at the Many Glacier Bell Desk this summer if you'd like any route specifics, but it's pretty straightforward. I've also done Ipasha if you'd like any info on that one. I used a slightly different route than Sean and those guys, one that doesn't involve crossing Ahern Glacier.

Cheers

Next

Return to Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY)