STATE HIGHPOINT CLIMBERS

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
Jow

Re: STATE HIGHPOINT CLIMBERS

by Jow » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:22 pm

Those are some ambitious plans unfortunately this year I am booked as far as vacation days and free time. I can't wait to read trip reports as the logistics of these are similar to trips i plan on taking in future. How many highpoints are you at?

FYI I just posted Trip Report of my Mt Washington weekend.

sm0421

by sm0421 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:47 pm

Jow wrote:Those are some ambitious plans unfortunately this year I am booked as far as vacation days and free time. I can't wait to read trip reports as the logistics of these are similar to trips i plan on taking in future. How many highpoints are you at?

FYI I just posted Trip Report of my Mt Washington weekend.

Hey Jow, glad you did Washington in winter, awesome pictures! This mtn remains one of the most exciting winter hikes for me, I have hiked the lion's head winter route... When I first get into hiking I have done Mt. Washington twice in a day :)

So far this year I have climbed Humphrey's Peak in Feb, I say it's harder than Washington, every 8 steps I have to rest, it was a beautiful hike. I also 'climbed' Hooiser Hill and Campbell Mtn thanks to a business trip in Cleveland (470 miles driving, no problem), I have put logistics plan in my trip report under these 3 mountains.

Next on my list is the Colorado trip that I am learning from your trip report, I am doing Elbert separately... will post Guadalupe Trip logistics once I am done. Borah Peak is a must this summer and I'll do Boundary Peak in November when I have a business trip in Vegas.

Hope we can plan some HP hikes together next year! Thanks, Alex

highlandvillager

by highlandvillager » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:36 pm

sm0421 wrote:Looking for HP partners:

05/07/2011 weekend Texas Guadalupe Peak hike.
04/22-23/2011 weekend Colorado Elbert hike.

I have reserved air tickets and motel, looking for partners, I will flying from NYC.

flexible time:
Trip 1: Fly in duluth, MN, road trip to MN, MI and WI. 760 miles, I have planned everything, but looking for someone to drive together.
Trip 2: Fly in Memphis, TN, road trip to Miss, Arkansas and LA. 1000 miles, all drive-ups, looking for partner to drive together.
Trip 3: Summer, Borah Peak, flying in SLC or Idaho Falls.

If you are interested please drop me an email we can introduce to each other, thanks! -Alex
sunmeng0421@hotmail.com

I'm interested in Guadalupe. PM sent.

maddie77777

by maddie77777 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:48 pm

Hey all, I'm looking to hit the Michigan highpoint in a couple weeks, and was wondering if anyone has ANY clue how much, if any, snow may still be up there. Or, if you have a way for me to find out, that would be great also. Aiming for HPs # 27 & 28, Wisconsin and Michigan (woohoo, right?)

Bark Eater

by Bark Eater » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:51 pm

This tool for snow cover doesn't have great fine scale resolution, but it's fascinating technology for regional snow cover: http://www.nohrsc.noaa.gov/

It's been a long time since I was up there, but the UP of Michigan is notorious for big snow winters that take a long time to melt in the spring.

maddie77777

by maddie77777 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:34 pm

Very cool. That's exactly the kind of thing I was hoping for. Thanks!

coloradoyooper

by coloradoyooper » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:00 am

maddie77777 wrote:Very cool. That's exactly the kind of thing I was hoping for. Thanks!

Just got off of the phone with the folks back home in Mass City about 1 hour from Arvon. Most of the snow is gone. It was in the mid 60's today and snow was melting fast. Hopefully you'll beat the black fly hatch. You won't beat the mud though!

CY

maddie77777

by maddie77777 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:35 pm

That was my next concern. How bad might it be, do you think? I have a Subaru Outback, but don't want to be too arrogant about its ability to extract me or not get stuck at all.

sm0421

by sm0421 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:15 am

Just got back from Elbert yesteday, hiked with a partner from 14er.com.

Snowstorm all day, had to rely on GPS every 5 minutes above treeline. Turned around at 13,900 feet. Nobody else in the mountian that day. 10 hours total time.

Getting ready for Guadalupe on May 6th weekend...

Also looking for partners to hike Borah Peak July 4th weekend.

Alpinist

by Alpinist » Thu May 05, 2011 2:11 am

Too bad about Elbert. You never know what you're going to get with weather in CO in April.

Borah is much more than a hike. Be prepared for some easy but exposed climbing. There are also some snow crossings. The snow bridges are straight forward but there may be steep snow on the upper ridge in July. If so, you should have an ice ax to traverse them as a slip could be fatal.

gwave47

by gwave47 » Fri May 06, 2011 1:19 am

SM0421 Good luck on Boundary! Hands down one of the hardest mountains I have ever climbed. I've done a 26 mile day hike on Kings, the 21 mile day hike of Whitney, a 31 mile loop day hike on Mt. Mitchell, Borah Peak, and Mt. Hood. I can easily say Boundary Peak is the hardest mountain I have ever climbed. It's not that long of a hike but it is all on the loosest sloppiest scree I have ever set foot on, add in the fact that it was 99 degrees that day and it makes for a miserable day. It's one of those mountains that when you take one step forward, you slide 2 steps back. November is probably a smart decision as I would never attempt it in the heat of the summer again, not sure what snowfall is like in the desert but if there is any it could only improve your footing.

P.S. Get all supplies you need from the nearest major city, there is nothing and I mean nothing in this part of the country. There will be towns on your map, but when you get there it is just two houses and a bar or a random gas station whose hours are something like Monday - Friday from 11-2. You will not be able to find ample supplies within 75 miles of Boundary Peak.

The following user would like to thank gwave47 for this post
mwmilling

WingLady

by WingLady » Fri May 06, 2011 2:35 pm

Re: Boundary

Be sure to go down the same way as you went up. :oops:

(Do as I say, not as I do)
D. Winger
The Winger Bookstore
New: Two Shadows
The Trad Guide to Joshua Tree
Highpoint Adventures
The Essential Guide to Great Sand Dunes National Park

Bark Eater

by Bark Eater » Fri May 06, 2011 6:46 pm

Reached the "summits" of Hoosier and Campbell Hills yesterday. It was a nice diversion on our way home after a work conference in Cincinnati. Jim's Place in Greenville, OH is highly recommended for the burgers and the car hops...definitely throwback old school. This is quite close to Hoosier Hill. Met fellow highpointers Mary and Bob from western Mass. at Hoosier Hill..nice folks.

Re:Borah. Looking forward to climbing in early August with my buddy Steve.

Re:Boundary. Glad we had more moderate temps. when we climbed last July. It was 105-110F in the valley but 60s most of the time on the climb. Wonderful place. Wild horses on the long flat ridge approaching the summit scramble. No people!

sm0421

by sm0421 » Mon May 09, 2011 5:23 am

Fletch wrote:
sm0421 wrote:Getting ready for Guadalupe on May 6th weekend...

Take lots of photos... i'll be there Jun 11 and the SP page is down. Need some beta. Thanks!

Hey man, just got back, I'll write a report on the page for Guadalupe, I'll also post a bunch of stuff in this thread temporarily for you. (such a pain to post pictures on summitpost!)

It's awesome, did it in 4 hours with lots of breaks and nice half hour summit time~

sm0421

by sm0421 » Mon May 09, 2011 5:25 am

gwave47 wrote:SM0421 Good luck on Boundary! Hands down one of the hardest mountains I have ever climbed. I've done a 26 mile day hike on Kings, the 21 mile day hike of Whitney, a 31 mile loop day hike on Mt. Mitchell, Borah Peak, and Mt. Hood. I can easily say Boundary Peak is the hardest mountain I have ever climbed. It's not that long of a hike but it is all on the loosest sloppiest scree I have ever set foot on, add in the fact that it was 99 degrees that day and it makes for a miserable day. It's one of those mountains that when you take one step forward, you slide 2 steps back. November is probably a smart decision as I would never attempt it in the heat of the summer again, not sure what snowfall is like in the desert but if there is any it could only improve your footing.

P.S. Get all supplies you need from the nearest major city, there is nothing and I mean nothing in this part of the country. There will be towns on your map, but when you get there it is just two houses and a bar or a random gas station whose hours are something like Monday - Friday from 11-2. You will not be able to find ample supplies within 75 miles of Boundary Peak.

wow!! was planning to do this in June during a business trip in California, really have to think twice now...

Thanks gwave47 for the information!

To Alpinist: thanks for the info! Will bring my ice axe and microspikes just in case...

PreviousNext

Return to General