NOLS courses?

Tips, tricks, workouts, injury advice.

NOLS courses?

by mountainsandsound » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:39 pm

Thought this might be a good place to pose this question. I have some scholarship money still waiting to be used from a couple of Americorps jobs I have done. This can be applied toward NOLS courses. The cost would normally deter me, but it's free so what the hell. There are a couple of 23 and over courses that look cool, especially Alaska Mountaineering. Does anyone have any experience with NOLS?

I am a little worried it might be too slow for me, I do have good wilderness skills already, have climbed a few glaciated peaks and lots of other smaller peaks, and feel confident with the self arrest and crevasse rescue practice I have put in so far with friends and mentors. I guess route finding through large, heavily crevassed glaciers and roped travel over steep snow and alpine ice is what I'm lacking most. Not sure if that is a good enough reason to commit to a 14 day course though. Then again, I don't know when I'll be going up to Alaska on my own for some climbing. Any thoughts? What is the pace and attitude of a NOLS course generally? Maybe the money would be better spent on Wilderness First Responder.

Re: NOLS courses?

by ExcitableBoy » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:53 pm

You could do a Denali summit trip with them. Should be right about your speed. The pace is pretty much the same as any other guided trip. ... nali.shtml. Seems like the best way to spend your scholarship money given your current experience level.

Return to Technique and Training