Lost tent stakes on Casaval Ridge, Shasta

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
clmbr

Lost tent stakes on Casaval Ridge, Shasta

by clmbr » Sat May 05, 2012 2:56 am

I left a small bag with tent stakes on Casaval Ridge at about 9,000+ where I camped last weekend in a small tent. If, by any accident, you find it, perhaps you could leave it in the Sierra Cabin. Thanks a lot.

no avatar
kaiwaldron

Re: Lost tent stakes on Casaval Ridge, Shasta

by kaiwaldron » Mon May 07, 2012 4:23 pm

Planning to head up Casaval Ridge on Wednesday or Thursday. I'll let you know if I find anything.

Cheers,
Kai

clmbr

by clmbr » Mon May 07, 2012 11:07 pm

kaiwaldron wrote:Planning to head up Casaval Ridge on Wednesday or Thursday. I'll let you know if I find anything.

Cheers,
Kai

Hi Kai,
here is the pic of my camp:

If you from San Francisco, bring it back and beer is on me.

In any case, thanks a lot, and have fun and safe climb.

no avatar
schaffner

by schaffner » Tue May 08, 2012 12:12 am

I only saw a tent slowly rolling down from Helen Lake on Saturday evening from our camp on the ridge at 10.5k, but no bag with stakes.

clmbr

by clmbr » Tue May 08, 2012 12:28 am

schaffner wrote:I only saw a tent slowly rolling down from Helen Lake on Saturday evening from our camp on the ridge at 10.5k, but no bag with stakes.

No wonder, different route :)

no avatar
schaffner

by schaffner » Tue May 08, 2012 8:13 am

Same route:

from our camp on the ridge at 10.5k

clmbr

by clmbr » Tue May 08, 2012 5:58 pm

schaffner wrote:Same route:

from our camp on the ridge at 10.5k

Yes you were on the same route with my tent stakes but not the rolling tent.

By the way, is it your castle camp on this pic?

no avatar
schaffner

by schaffner » Tue May 08, 2012 8:27 pm

Nice pictures, we also ran into these guys. Our camp was a little bit higher up... probably about where you were standing when taking the picture.

no avatar
kaiwaldron

by kaiwaldron » Fri May 11, 2012 3:49 am

Hey climbr,

I went up Casaval early today and didn't see any sign of tent stakes, though I may have missed them in the dark. Hope they turn up.

Cheers,
Kai

clmbr

by clmbr » Fri May 11, 2012 5:05 am

kaiwaldron wrote:Hey climbr,

I went up Casaval early today and didn't see any sign of tent stakes, though I may have missed them in the dark. Hope they turn up.

Cheers,
Kai

Kai, thanks anyway. I'm planning to climb CR on 19th of May again.

How was your climb and how were the route conditions, still a lot of snow?

Jesus Malverde

by Jesus Malverde » Fri May 11, 2012 4:03 pm

Hi clmbr,

Hey, didn't see your stakes coming down as we descended via Avalanche Gulch. Sorry to hear about them going missing. On a side note, here's a couple of shots of you on the the climb (PM me if you would like the originals emailed to you). Also, I'm thinking about buying a single wall assault tent. How do you like that Rab of yours?
Attachments
IMG_1122.jpg
IMG_1122.jpg (90.24 KiB) Viewed 4254 times
IMG_1114.jpg
IMG_1114.jpg (60.45 KiB) Viewed 4254 times
IMG_1113.jpg
IMG_1113.jpg (68.54 KiB) Viewed 4254 times

no avatar
kaiwaldron

by kaiwaldron » Fri May 11, 2012 4:55 pm

The climb was great. My first time up that route and I definitely enjoyed it. Conditions were excellent with plenty of quality snow.

Cheers,
Kai

Kai, thanks anyway. I'm planning to climb CR on 19th of May again.

How was your climb and how were the route conditions, still a lot of snow?

clmbr

by clmbr » Fri May 11, 2012 7:59 pm

kaiwaldron wrote:The climb was great. My first time up that route and I definitely enjoyed it. Conditions were excellent with plenty of quality snow.

Cheers,
Kai

Thanks Kai

Jesus Malverde wrote:...I'm thinking about buying a single wall assault tent. How do you like that Rab of yours?

This was the first time I used this tent. It’s light and small (that’s the whole purpose) but I still can feet my full bag pack in it. Before I bought North Face Northwind (my avatar pic) I was pro self-standing tents. Now I’m not sure any more, not if camping on snow in windy conditions. The design of Nothwind allows me to use two pickets (in case of base camp) or two ice axes (if I take the tent to the top) and stretch it out, very strong anchors-attachment to the snow.

This "Rab" tent, on the other hand, needs a lit bit more careful securing to prevent from being drifted by a strong wind. I never build any wall around my tent. Well, four pickets would do the work but not when you solo. During the last night (after the climb) the wind was quite strong but the tent did not feel that impact. Ventilation, as in all single-wall tents, is a problem. This tent has one hole-window on one end and the door, which can be left unzipped, on the other end. I’m not sure how this would work in stormy, snowy weather. During the first night I developed a small headache which disappeared after unzipping the door. One more thing, the poles are inside. One has to be careful while putting them in or out in order not to make any damage to the tent. In violent conditions it may be difficult.

Once again, this was my first test of this tent and I need to learn how to get the best of it in various circumstances. For now, however, it will be my primary tent for climbing. Yes, so far I like it.

Jesus Malverde wrote:...here's a couple of shots of you on the the climb (PM me if you would like the originals emailed to you).

Great pics. I don’t have many of them while climbing; I really appreciate. Sent PM.

Here are some frames from video I shot before my battery froze. Most likely you are in it.

Return to California