Doing a few Alpine courses.

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Washington and Oregon. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Pacific Northwest Climbing Partners section.
philoparts

Doing a few Alpine courses.

by philoparts » Sat May 19, 2012 12:40 am

Heading to Hood next Friday and Saturday, taking a few courses with Timberline Mountain Guides. Steep snow climbing Friday with anchor and belay class Saturday. First full week of June is CMC rope rescue 1&2. On top of all that, volunteering with my local EMS has started, and already been on several calls just this week. I have a few weeks before I head back to school full time (returning after a 20 year hiatus :o ), so might give Thielsen a try and possibly McLoughlin again if the road is somewhat open.

ExcitableBoy

Re: Doing a few Alpine courses.

by ExcitableBoy » Sat May 19, 2012 12:45 am

Have fun. Completely aside the point, but I noticed a documentary about a timber baron that pays the college tuition of every high school graduate from Philomath, Oregon. Are you familiar with this?

philoparts

by philoparts » Sat May 19, 2012 1:12 am

ExcitableBoy wrote:Have fun. Completely aside the point, but I noticed a documentary about a timber baron that pays the college tuition of every high school graduate from Philomath, Oregon. Are you familiar with this?

Yep, but it all went down before I moved here in 2004. I caught the tail end of the fallout from all that, but then a new controversy of changing the street system to a double one way couplet happened and everyone refocused there frustrations to that issue :lol: I do know many of the people interviewed from the business I used to manage, good old small town drama.

philoparts

by philoparts » Sun May 27, 2012 2:18 am

Oi, just got home from a few interesting days on Hood hanging out around Timberline. The first day, steep snow climbing was cool, but mostly stuff I was familiar with. Today doing the anchor and belay class was more my speed, learning how to set bombproof anchors in snow and practice some multi-pitch steep climbs. I was having too much fun and didn't get any pics, but one of the other guys did and hopefully he'll email them to me after he's done up there.

philoparts

by philoparts » Mon May 28, 2012 4:42 am

Return to Pacific Northwest (WA, OR)