We've lost a member.

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

We've lost a member.

by Bob Sihler » Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:22 pm

Jesse, aka "dharmabum1984," died in a canoeing accident over Memorial Day Weekend. SP expresses its condolences to his family and friends in this difficult time.

Jesse had not been active on SP for almost a year, but he was a contributing member with some nice pages, and we will be memorializing his profile page. If any friends of his here would like to write the tribute or a tribute for his page, please contact the elves.

Rest in peace, Jesse.

http://www.summitpost.org/users/dharmabum1984/23361
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)

The following user would like to thank Bob Sihler for this post
chicagotransplant, Enkidu, Fletch, Josh Lewis, Kiefer, MarkDidier, McCannster, spiritualspatula

Fletch

Re: We've lost a member.

by Fletch » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:09 pm

chicagotransplant

by chicagotransplant » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:21 pm

I've never met Jesse, but enjoyed his photos and TRs. Rest in Peace fellow mountain lover.

RyanS

by RyanS » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:42 pm

I never met him either, but I recall exchanging PMs with him as he worked on his first mountain page, Cottonwood Peak, which he took over from the legendary, banned member Mike Downey. RIP

Kiefer

by Kiefer » Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:47 am

Geese. These are never good to read. :(
RIP buddy.

no avatar
ripper333

by ripper333 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:33 pm

"I lingered on the summit a minute longer, in awe of the mountains around us. Deep winter in the Gore range is a place of savage unrelenting beauty. Jagged rock, wild snow, and death-trap avalanche chutes meet your eye everywhere you look. Though it was my first time on Keller's summit, I felt like I was coming back to a place I already knew. Nowhere feels more like home to me than the summit of a wild, remote peak. Although civilization was only a half days walk out, our position felt far more removed than that. The aesthetic appeal of such a place,of course,belies a much colder, more indifferent demeanor as well,and our time up there was brief and burrowed. We began the decent"... Jesse Peterson. Thank you Jesse for inspiring me to be a better person, Iam blessed to have crossed paths with you. Til we meet again on the summit of a wild remote peak...

The following user would like to thank ripper333 for this post
Pete Castricone

JonBradford

by JonBradford » Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:45 am

Very sad. I am sorry to hear of his loss. I hope his spirit is wandering that east ridge of Keller Mountain. ripper333... the above quote from Jesse's TR is one of the most elegant and beautiful descriptions of the Gores I have ever read. I made sure this was on the Keller Mountain page.

The following user would like to thank JonBradford for this post
ripper333

Diego Sahagún

by Diego Sahagún » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:44 am

RIP Jesee :(

Pete Castricone

by Pete Castricone » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:07 pm

Climb on high, brother. May your spirit find its peace on the ultimate summit.
Last edited by Pete Castricone on Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kane

by Kane » Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:28 am

This one hit home for me. I spent the better part of the past 48 hrs just soaking this one in. Like Ryan, I exchanged numerous emails with this mountain lover. His sunset shots from Cottonwood Peak in dead winter inspired me, to say the least. Dude set a tent up in the snow at 13,000-ft!

Also, a Gore Range freak, something we have in common. God Bless you Jesse, I will never forget you.

Return to Colorado