Mt. Hood: Timberline to Crater Rock Alpine hike

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Washington and Oregon. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Pacific Northwest Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
TheViper

Mt. Hood: Timberline to Crater Rock Alpine hike

by TheViper » Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:57 pm

Just a few questions for the mt hood climbers, id like to do a alpine hike from Timberline Lodge to Crater Rock or Hogs back with a friend who has never been on Mt. Hood before, ive done this hike in the heat of the late summer (horrible scree mess), and want to give a go over the snow, So...

Generally, how long does snow stay from Timberline up to Crater Rock, late June?
If hiking on snow to crater rock, are any special tools required, like crampons or ice axe...how about to hogs back?

billisfree

Re: Mt. Hood: Timberline to Crater Rock Alpine hike

by billisfree » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:14 pm

Tough question. I've been to the hogsback 6 times. Conditions vary from year to year. The hogsback is safe and accessable year round. The real danger is when you go above the hogsback.

Since are are likely to be dealing with slushy snow, it might make no difference between scree or snow. Sometimes I favor the snow, sometimes I favor the scree.

I recogmend crampons or sno-trak just in case. A treking poles would be nice if deaing with ice or scree. Ice axes... I wouldn't care for. Neighter would I bother with helmets.

Nice weather, good lungs and plenty of water is all you need.
Last edited by billisfree on Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The following user would like to thank billisfree for this post
TheViper

no avatar
TheViper

by TheViper » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:36 pm

gotcha, yeah i figured it would vary from year to year based on smowfall and temperatures, i guess it would be better to start the hike closer to sunrise, so as not to deal with too much slush on the way up

no avatar
TheViper

by TheViper » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:58 pm

How long has it taken people to go from timberline to hogs back on snow?

Ben Beckerich

by Ben Beckerich » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:41 am

HUGE variance... Some guys can do it in 1.5 hour, some guys couldn't get to Hogsback in under 6-7 hours, or more. Depends on your load and your fitness and your desire.

I think an average is probably around 4-5 hours, for decently conditioned climber/hikers...? Just a shot in the dark.
where am i going... and why am i in this handbasket?

The following user would like to thank Ben Beckerich for this post
TheViper

no avatar
TheViper

by TheViper » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:46 am

Ben B. wrote:HUGE variance... Some guys can do it in 1.5 hour, some guys couldn't get to Hogsback in under 6-7 hours, or more. Depends on your load and your fitness and your desire.

I think an average is probably around 4-5 hours, for decently conditioned climber/hikers...? Just a shot in the dark.

wow, some guys really make it there that fast, thats insane!

thanks for your reply

no avatar
markv

by markv » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:56 am

I'm usually right down the middle, not fast, slow by climbers' standards but not slow by touron standards. It took me about 5 hours to the Hogsback, on slushy snow, carrying way too much.

If anyone wants to update conditions as the summer goes on, i'm probably not the only one who's very interested. I'm looking to go back and summit again with my wife this year, but we can't make it until late July, and so we'll probably skip it if things are too messy up there.

Return to Pacific Northwest (WA, OR)