Olympus this morning

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the great state of Utah, from the alpine peaks to the desert slots. Please post partners requests and trip plans here or in the Utah Climbing Partners section.
Joseph Bullough

Olympus this morning

by Joseph Bullough » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:54 pm

Does anyone know what was going on at Mount Olympus this morning? I went there about 7:30 this morning and there was the most cars I've ever seen there. The line stetched down the road over a 1/4 mile :shock: I turned around and went home.

ZeeJay
Forum Moderator

Re: Olympus this morning

by ZeeJay » Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:08 am

I was curious so I googled for "mount olympus june 2 2012 utah" and found this

http://www.utahclimbers.com/

Apparently it's National Trails Day and they are doing some work on a new section of the Bonneville Shoreline Trail and had an organized breakfast, work party, and lunch.

The following user would like to thank ZeeJay for this post
Joseph Bullough

harbor

by harbor » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:53 am

I know the Wasatch Mountain Club was involved in trail work for the National Trails Day thingy. I think the club has officially adopted the Mt. Olympus trail to maintain, clean up, etc.

Wasatch Summits

by Wasatch Summits » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:50 am

Joe I can't blame you for turning around after seeing all those cars, I'd do the same thing. I hit up the trail and summit a few weeks back on a Saturday and got an early start. Saw no one on the way up, though on the way down I yielded the right of way to at least 100+ people heading up the mountain. Popular trail!

Anymore info on this new Bonneville Shoreline trail section? Wondering how it will be routed up there with the homes in the Cove and the ones to the south, seems like the subdivisions on both ends get near the shoreline elevation. I've also wondered if whoever the local municipality is for the Olympus trail head ever plans on improving it, kind of like Draper has done with the Orson Smith and Equestrian trail heads. (I.E. better parking, restrooms, tables, running water, ...etc.) I know there isn't much real estate to do much at the Oly trail head, though after hiking it a bunch over this past several months I've seen the remains of many car windows smashed out on the ground up there, and other paraphernalia... Wonder if they will ever do anything to revamp the trail head area a bit in the future.

The following user would like to thank Wasatch Summits for this post
Joseph Bullough

Joseph Bullough

by Joseph Bullough » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:28 pm

Phenom wrote:I know there isn't much real estate to do much at the Oly trail head, though after hiking it a bunch over this past several months I've seen the remains of many car windows smashed out on the ground up there, and other paraphernalia... Wonder if they will ever do anything to revamp the trail head area a bit in the future.

A couple of years ago I came down to a smashed window. I've never parked in the parking lot since.

mountaingazelle

by mountaingazelle » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:21 pm

I've avoided Mount Olympus because of trailhead issues. I haven't had my windows broken but other people that I know have. So I was wondering where do you park?

Joseph Bullough

by Joseph Bullough » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:26 pm

mountaingazelle wrote:I've avoided Mount Olympus because of trailhead issues. I haven't had my windows broken but other people that I know have. So I was wondering where do you park?

I now park along the road on Wasatch Boulevard. There are usually a lot of other cars there too. No guarantees, but I think it's much safer there. And I never leave anything of value in my car.

The following user would like to thank Joseph Bullough for this post
mountaingazelle, Wasatch Summits

Wasatch Summits

by Wasatch Summits » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:40 am

That would be horrible to get back to a broken window and possible stolen items after a fun hike up there. Worst I've encountered so far is someone dinging the door on my SUV in the Canyon's parking lot in Park City. I've found it better to park along Wasatch BLVD at the Olympus trail head also. That tight turn into that upper parking lot seems pretty tight, especially for larger vehicles and the concrete barricades on the west side seems to hide a lot of the riff-raff that seems to occur in the parking area.

I did a google search on the Bonneville Shoreline planning, and found this PDF: Check out page 28. Also there is information about how the trail will be routed above and below the houses in different sections. Wondering how this will impact the area up there.

http://www.bonnevilleshorelinetrail.org/resources/BSTAlignPlan.pdf

The following user would like to thank Wasatch Summits for this post
Joseph Bullough

Return to Utah