Geology,...interesting or incredibly boring ???

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
obsidian

Geology,...interesting or incredibly boring ???

by obsidian » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:26 pm

I'm new to Summit Post,...so, you'll have to excuse this bizarre tangent,...
Are any of you people interested in the Geology of the rocks/mountains which you climb,...or, is it just the thrill of a near-death experience ???
...I'm thinking of posting a page about geology,...unless, of course,...this inquiry gets an ugly backlash,...
Tell the Truth,...I can handle it,...

sharperblue

Re: Geology,...interesting or incredibly boring ???

by sharperblue » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:41 pm

How can you pull on a piece of granite plate stegosaurus skin at the Buttermilks or hold a foot long crystal from the slopes of Mount Baldwin or climbing through the furrows pitches on Charlotte Dome without marvelling at the amazing geology of the Sierra range (amongst others)- ?

I'd love to see an article on this topic! Be sure to drop a line for Mary Hill's 'Geology of the Sierra Nevada' book - it's a truly spectacular book, and climbers will have the pleasure of reading about some of their favorite (and more obscure) haunts from a professional geologist's perspective

obsidian

by obsidian » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:58 pm

Yeah,...I feel the same way.

I'm in the middle of reading it now...That's actually what got me to thinking about geology.
...But,...there are a number of highly technical articles available on the internet, descibing the entire Plate-Subduction/Batholith Genesis process. The language is incredibly obtuse,...but, the story is fascinating.
...It's kinda like virtual Time-Travelling,...
Last edited by obsidian on Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:11 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:59 pm

Yes; I really like geology, epecially on the Colorado Plateau (because it's all exposed there). In most places on the CP, I can name the rock layers and their ages just by driving by.

colinr

by colinr » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:38 pm

Yes, interesting!

MarkDidier

by MarkDidier » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:40 pm

This article was sumbitted a few years back and as you can tell by the page score, number of votes and comments...that it was well received. Post away!

http://www.summitpost.org/a-brief-geological-history-of-the-keweenaw/518925

The following user would like to thank MarkDidier for this post
obsidian

Baarb

by Baarb » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:42 pm

An older related thread which might have some relevance why-mountains-are-there-t48666.html

The following user would like to thank Baarb for this post
obsidian

obsidian

by obsidian » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:22 pm

MarkDidier and Baarb,
Thanks,...good suggestions. I live in the Owens Valley, just to the east of the crest of the Sierra Nevada, in California,...so, naturally, I was thinking in terms of describing the Sierra. It's probably the best studied major batholith in the world,...and, so, the literature is vast. I'll probably just present an overview,...since, anything more would be a mind-numbing overkill.
But, the essential paradigm is: about 200 million to 100 million years ago a trench existed off of what would become the Californian coast. The Farallon plate was subducted over a period of over 100 million years, and. an island arc emerged and was accreted to the North American continent. The Sierran Nevadab Batholith then was intruded from the depths as a consequence of this plate subduction.
...And,...Scott,...the Colorado Plateau was an inspiration for me too. I did some travelling one summer from the Sangre de Cristo Mountains near Santa Fe, New Mexico to the San Juan Mountains, of Southern Colorado (Telluride/Durango area). Fantastic !!!

jfrishmanIII

by jfrishmanIII » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:40 pm

Very interesting! People who don't agree don't have to read it, so please go for it!

simonov

by simonov » Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:23 am

Boring unless John McPhee is writing about it.
Nunc est bibendum.

The following user would like to thank simonov for this post
obsidian

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:04 am

It helps me organize my thoughts about the terrain.
http://www.summitpost.org/cleopatra-ham ... ano/375219

Initially, I thought geology would be a way for me to have a career in the outdoors; but I was put off by a perceived lack of quantitative framework, and the noticeable predominance of jocks and C students in the geology classes. So I went to other fields. Only near retirement, did I see what I'd missed.

The following user would like to thank MoapaPk for this post
obsidian

phydeux

by phydeux » Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:08 am

If you don't develop an interest in basic geology (and mountain biology) when you're out there and smack-dab in the middle of it, you ain't doing it right. I'd suggest you concentrate on certain areas/ranges rather than geology in general. Lots of good pages about mountain ranges can be found in the 'Mountains & Rocks' section of SP. Since you're in the Owens Valley, look at the pages for the Mono Craters & Long Valley Caldera for good examples. And there's also a good page for the the Santa Ana Mountains (Southern Calif, near me). The Mono Lake page sucks - if you have the time you might want to contact the page owner and see about taking it over and updating it. If I lived closer to it I'd definately take a stab at it.

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:21 am

Geology IS an interesting topic ... that's why I continue to stress my "Arizona Rocks" campaign ..

Geology is a very deep subject. I first fell in "love" with a woman in my high school Geology class ... she ended up moving away, so I was left with this bittersweet song ..

:cry:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kj1Cy3YtK9w[/youtube]
"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

mountainsandsound

by mountainsandsound » Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:29 am

Interesting, because I'm interested in all natural sciences. But it only does so much for me, because I'm an ecologist by training and living organisms are much more interesting to me. Not very much life (relatively speaking) among the rock and ice.

This is why I tolerate long, "view-less" approach hikes through the forest so well. Especially if I'm moving through some old growth. Lots of ecology going on there.

The following user would like to thank mountainsandsound for this post
lcarreau

Sierra Ledge Rat

by Sierra Ledge Rat » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:02 am

Geology was my first major in college, because of climbing.

Next

Return to General