Ouray over Christmas

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
mtndonkey

Ouray over Christmas

by mtndonkey » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:31 am

I am planning to spend some time climbing in Ouray over Christmas and skiing/snowboarding at Telluride. I am trying to decide whether to hit the ice park the 25th-28th and Telluride after or vice versa and be in Ouray around New Years. I have never been to the park before and wanted to get any input if either time will be less crowded and if the park is open on the holidays. Can anyone share any insight or tips for going?

Thanks!

no avatar
mconnell

Re: Ouray over Christmas

by mconnell » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:24 pm

Depending on weather conditions this year, ice over Christmas might be pretty thin. I've never gone to the park over a big holiday, but I expect that it is going to be crowded anytime around then. Once the park opens for the year, it will be open every day, holiday or no.

mtndonkey

by mtndonkey » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:46 pm

Thanks for the info. How thin is "thin"? I know early season I won't be on fat ice, but should I expect moderate exposed rock and ice just a few cm thin in many places or is it just thin relative to how it gets in Feb?

no avatar
mconnell

by mconnell » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:07 pm

It really depends on the year and the route. Some of the lower gorge routes probably won't be in but you should be able to get some climbs in. I don't think they will open the park if the ice is really thin. Maybe someone who climbs the park more often than I could chime in on this. (Although I go to Ouray a couple times a year, I have only been in the park 4-5 times.)

mtndonkey

by mtndonkey » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:50 pm

Cool thanks. I don't mind the thin ice nearly as much if I'm not leading, although I was hoping to be able to lead some routes as well as top rope. Still beats being at work during that time.

Return to Colorado