bad climbing partners

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
lcarreau

Re: bad climbing partners

by lcarreau » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:53 am

butitsadryheat wrote: ... nice job bob. way to kill it

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeFpM2OEWPs[/youtube]
"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

simonov

by simonov » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:30 am

I think on one occasion I was the bad climbing partner.

Nunc est bibendum.

norco17

by norco17 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:29 am

simonov wrote:I think on one occasion I was the bad climbing partner.

do tell

dan2see

by dan2see » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:29 am

When I was a Boy Scout Leader, we did a lot of hikes and camps with the boys.

Our policy was:
Anybody could join our day-hikes. We start to know each other that way, and learn how to get along together.
So those day-hikes were a requirement to join our week-end camps, during the year. Here we learn about each other's interests, commitment level, and attitude.
Finally, attendance at any week-end camps was required to join our week-long summer camps.

Our policy worked well. Despite a wide range of interest and ability, everybody (boys, parents, and leaders) was ready for the commitment and performance, when they needed to. We shared exploration and adventure, learning and fun.

Now I'm a climber, building skills, accumulating gear, and growing teamwork.

Climbers can use a similar policy:
Anybody can join us for sport climbing at the crags.
So your sport-leads, and sharing ropes and gear, and helping newbies, establishes group dynamics and trust.
Finally, some folks will coordinate to do bigger trips, like alpine, multi-pitch, and multi-day adventures -- when they are ready.

So you'll never need to hook-up with "bad" partners, because you'll be busy sharing your adventures with folks you know and trust.

The following user would like to thank dan2see for this post
Kahuna

Ben Beckerich

by Ben Beckerich » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:14 am

I've met some great guys on the internet boards. I met one of my current best friends on Cascade Climbers, and several other great partners there. I've had some moments of eye-roll when I'm stopping to wait for some gumby to catch up 30 times on route, but I've never regretted climbing with anyone. Always an adventure.... I love adventure.

I'm probably gonna do Ptarmigan Ridge with a total stranger here in a couple weeks.

Anybody wanna do Ptarmigan Ridge in a couple weeks?
where am i going... and why am i in this handbasket?

The following user would like to thank Ben Beckerich for this post
Sierra Ledge Rat

TimB

by TimB » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:58 pm

Geeze! What a discouraging thread-I am having a hard time finding *any* climbing partners, let alone having to worry about weeding out the bad ones.
Guess that's how it is for FNGs.
:(

Bob Burd
Forum Moderator

by Bob Burd » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:40 pm

I swear, there's a whole generation that never learned to use a belt. I'm tied into the rope with a 26yr-old who has to keep pulling up his pants because he can't figure out how to walk without having his pants end up around his ankles. And he's wearing a harness for God's sake, but that still doesn't help him.Image

The following user would like to thank Bob Burd for this post
Princess Buttercup

Marcsoltan

by Marcsoltan » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:01 pm

Bob Burd wrote:I swear, there's a whole generation that never learned to use a belt. I'm tied into the rope with a 26yr-old who has to keep pulling up his pants because he can't figure out how to walk without having his pants end up around his ankles. And he's wearing a harness for God's sake, but that still doesn't help him.Image

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA...............................
That is too funny!

no avatar
Kahuna

by Kahuna » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:53 pm

He is looking cool though.....

Ben Beckerich

by Ben Beckerich » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:02 pm

That's what happens when snowboarders try climbing
where am i going... and why am i in this handbasket?

The following user would like to thank Ben Beckerich for this post
Marcsoltan, Sierra Ledge Rat, TimB

no avatar
unfiguroutable

by unfiguroutable » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:54 am

when i rope up with a newbie it is on a climb that i am 100% i am not going to fall and or with a trusted third to watch the unknown climber. You have only your self to blame.

GEM Trail

by GEM Trail » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:51 pm

Great thread. I guess I have been lucky to only climb with people I already knew, which eliminates many of these surprises.

You wonder what constitutes a bad partner. The first kind is an unsafe partner. You cannot fuck around with these people. I have to admit that when I was young most of you would have considered me an idiot, doing things way over my head with little to no experience. Fortunately, most of my buddies were same way! In later years I have had to school some people, but luckily they have always listened to me. At least so far!

The second kind of bad partner is someone who, for whatever reason, you don't get along with. Depending on the nature of your differences, things can be worked out as you begin to accomodate each other. To take this to an extreme, how many girls have you taken climbing, or even camping? Almost all of them require significant changes to your trip that, if you weren't getting laid, would probably be dealbreakers. But you compromise and carry the heavy shit and wake her up with a fresh brewed espresso and suddenly she's more adventurous.

With guy partners I take the same attitude- we are in this together, whatever it takes to make a good trip I am willing to do. Short of the getting laid part!

Sarah Simon

by Sarah Simon » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:02 pm

GEM Trail wrote:To take this to an extreme, how many girls have you taken climbing, or even camping? Almost all of them require significant changes to your trip that, if you weren't getting laid, would probably be dealbreakers. But you compromise and carry the heavy shit and wake her up with a fresh brewed espresso and suddenly she's more adventurous.

Wow, all this time, I never knew a) I was putting a serious crimp in the climbing plans of my guy climbing partners, completely ruining their weekends, esp. because there was no sex involved and b) that they were supposed to carry my gear and brew espresso for me. :o

Thanks for the enlightenment!
Go climb a mountain

The following user would like to thank Sarah Simon for this post
Daria

Woodie Hopper

by Woodie Hopper » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:45 pm

GEM Trail wrote:To take this to an extreme, how many girls have you taken climbing, or even camping? Almost all of them require significant changes to your trip that, if you weren't getting laid, would probably be dealbreakers. But you compromise and carry the heavy shit and wake her up with a fresh brewed espresso and suddenly she's more adventurous.

With guy partners I take the same attitude- we are in this together, whatever it takes to make a good trip I am willing to do. Short of the getting laid part!

Really?

Unless this was just a poor attempt at being funny, all I can say is "Yuck!".

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:53 pm

GEM, speaking of getting laid, you just laid an egg with your post.

PreviousNext

Return to General