Min. Temp for Hunker Down Jacket?

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
no avatar
PeteF

Min. Temp for Hunker Down Jacket?

by PeteF » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:53 am

Hello, my name is Pete, I've just joined the forum, and hope people here will be able to answer my noob questions :D

After many weeks of trawling through boards etc trying to find information I think it's best to now simply stick my virtual hand up and ask for advice/opinions. I'm an ex-ski instructor so have plenty of experience with cold, but I feel there's a massive difference between being out in it for the day and going back home for a nice hot shower v being out in it 24/7 for 3 weeks. In November I'm planning a trek to Nepal to climb Mera Peak, this is my first introduction to high altitude "climbing" and learning to use crampons etc etc.

I'm just going through my gear, looking at what I may have that is suitable and what I'll need to purchase. All of the climbing specific gear I'll use the trekking company's except my own harness I have already. I'd like to post a gear list in full later, but for the moment I'm looking at my Mountain Hardwear Hunker Jacket, and wonder if this will be warm enough? My intention was to layer with my Icebreaker shirt, fleece, the Hunker jacket and a (yet to be purchased) shell. For the bottom polyprop long-johns, fleece pants, and my gore-tex shell pants.

I simply can't find any information on the recommended minimum temperature for that Hunker jacket, or even a fill weight, so I'm hoping someone here may be able to help? Good down jackets are expensive so I don't want to buy another one just for a giggle, nor however do I want to roll up dressed for the beach!

Thanks in advance for the help.

Pete

adventurer

Re: Min. Temp for Hunker Down Jacket?

by adventurer » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:38 am

I found this info indicating your jacket is 650fil goose down. Also, take a look at the reviews where a couple of people claim they wear the jacket in temps well below 0 F.

http://www.mountainhardwear.com/Men's-H ... lt,pd.html

Also, I would suggest that you ask your trekking company if they believe your jacket is suitable for your Mera peak trip.
"When you travel, if you avoid the people, reject the food, ignore the customs, and fear the religion..... you might as well stay home"
James A. Michener

no avatar
PeteF

by PeteF » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:48 am

Thanks for that. Yes I saw the MH listing of the quality of down used, but it says nothing about the fill weight, or even "suggested" application. The trekking company can supply suitable clothing, however I would of course prefer to use my own and was hoping for some feedback from those who may use or are familiar with this jacket (or, say the Nuptse, which I think is very similar) and the environment it will be used in. What becomes even more confusing is when temperatures are quoted, even by manufacturers, without bothering to put a C or F after the figure!

Pete

Dane1

by Dane1 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:46 pm

This may help.

http://coldthistle.blogspot.com/search?q=belay+jackets

Several other jacket reviews on Cold Thistle as well. You want to be looking at the warmer/thicker ones for your trip. I'm a BIG fan of the warmer RAB jackets (which is also reviewed) , Narrona Lyngen (reviewed at least twice) and Eddie Bauer Peak XV (also reviewed twice I think). All of which would be good choices for Meru imo.

no avatar
PeteF

by PeteF » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:14 am

Thanks very much, that's quite a review! I've only read about 1/3 of that review so far but don't think he covers my Hunker jacket. So do you think it wouldn't be sufficient for a Mera Peak trek in November?

I must admit I do tend to lean toward the Mountain Hardware gear. I've always had good, honest service from it, and just as importantly as I spend a lot of time in Asia, it's not as often counterfeited compared to say North Face. Asia is littered with "North Face" copies, and of course they're total crap. Sometimes it's obvious, however I don't have enough experience to spot the very good fakes with brands I'm not as familiar with. I see he also reviews an MEC jacket, I'm a member of MEC as I used to go to Canada very frequently and like their stores, however their freight system doesn't seem to be terribly viable with regard sending things out to Australia.

Pete

DrGranola

by DrGranola » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:04 pm

Have you used that jacket before? What temps did you use it in, if so? I have the same jacket and I find it extremely warm even in -0 temps. I think that the minimum temp would depend on the user. Do you tend to run cold, or hot?

no avatar
PeteF

by PeteF » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:07 am

DrGranola wrote:Have you used that jacket before? What temps did you use it in, if so? I have the same jacket and I find it extremely warm even in -0 temps. I think that the minimum temp would depend on the user. Do you tend to run cold, or hot?

Hi DrG, thanks for taking the time to reply. However I'm afraid, but for a single letter, it's created a little confusion. Please see my point above regarding quoting temperatures. Since you're in the US I presume you're talking "Fahrenheit"?

Yes I've used the jacket before, but not down to the -20C temperatures I think* I may expect on this trek. Also, as mentioned above, while I have spent a fair amount of time in cold conditions, I think there's a world of difference between my experience with being outside, then ducking back to a nice warm locker room etc every few hours, and being out in it 24/7. I have absolutely zero experience with trekking in cold conditions, but I would think once "cold" it would be miserable and difficult to try to get warm again, especially once at camp. I'd rather error on the side of being "over-warm" rather than being cold. Sorry I don't know whether I'm a "hot" or "cold" person, but I'd again be leaning to feeling the cold. I do know from experience that it can be tricky; cooking while working hard, then freezing when stopped. Again, it's not a temperature area I have much personal experience with, normally I'd be in the -10 to 0C range, and the extra 10C makes a BIG difference in my experience. Below -20C it's really getting "cold" in my book!

My gut feeling is the jacket, when appropriately layered, "should" be warm enough. However that's easy for me to say from the cosy warmth of my study! I've already decided to invest in a Mountain Hardwear Wraith sleeping bag, even though even my existing bag is too warm for most of the time I need it. However it's not every day I get the opportunity to go to Nepal, and I would rather spend a few dollars to make sure I enjoy the experience as best I can, rather than trying to be a tight-wad and detracting from what I think will be quite an experience. Like the sleeping bag, I'm happy to buy a new jacket if it's really necessary, but there's obviously no point if what I have is perfectly acceptable. Hence why I'm throwing it out for the kind opinions of those with more experience than myself.

Pete

*I say "think" I may expect as I honestly don't know for sure exactly what temperatures to plan for. I can only guess based on what I've read elsewhere that the temperatures in Nepal in November can drop to -20C or so.

bird

by bird » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:51 pm

http://www.mountainhardwear.com/Men%27s ... lt,pd.html
This is the parka version, a bit longer with a hood. Probably a better bet. I haven't been there, but I think with the right layering it would be OK. Certainly warmer than just the jacket. Best to confirm with your outfitter.
Another point, on your trip, when it's -20c you'll either be moving (so generating heat) or in your tent or cooktent where it will be a bit warmer and you'll probably be in your sleeping bag. You'll stand around some, but hopefully not much. :D

DrGranola

by DrGranola » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:26 pm

I believe it to be 650 fill. I think that with your layering system it would work just fine. Yes, I mean in terms of ferinheight in regard to temperature. If you do get cold easily, consider an 800 fill jacket or maybe a full down suit. You could always upgrade the weight of your base layer too.

bird

by bird » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:00 pm

DrGranola wrote:I believe it to be 650 fill. I think that with your layering system it would work just fine. Yes, I mean in terms of ferinheight in regard to temperature. If you do get cold easily, consider an 800 fill jacket or maybe a full down suit. You could always upgrade the weight of your base layer too.

Just because it's 800 fill won't make it warmer. Fill weight just refers to how much fill it takes to create x amount of loft. The same jacket w 800 fill vs 650 will be just as warm, but the 800 fill will be a little bit lighter, as it takes less down to achieve the same loft/heat retention.

Return to Gear