Climbers missing on Palcaraju Oeste

Mountaineering, rock climbing, and hiking news.
blazin

Climbers missing on Palcaraju Oeste

by blazin » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:55 pm

Some might have seen the supertopo thread already, but posting here in case anyone can help:

Hi guys,

Sorry for the mass email, it's just very urgent. My friend Ben and his friend Gil are missing for over five days in attempting to climb the the south face of Palcaraju Oeste in Peru. A search team found Ben and Gil's tent, followed tracks up the glacier to the base of the route (a 800 m face of steep snow and ice), and spotted tracks on the descent ridge at about 5,800 m. That's all they know so far. They desperately need to do a flyover of the area ASAP, but haven't been able to find a plane and a civilian pilot or a Peruvian military officer to fly a plane.

fossana

Re: Climbers missing on Palcaraju Oeste

by fossana » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:05 pm

Ben = http://www.summitpost.org/users/zoomloco/68580
Gil = http://www.summitpost.org/users/mountainroad/32293

Both great guys, not to mention strong climbers. Ben did the first winter ascent of Evolution Traverse and both Ben and Gil knocked off the full Palisades Traverse this year.

Cy Kaicener

by Cy Kaicener » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:14 pm

no avatar
Kahuna

by Kahuna » Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:36 am

Another sad but realistic example that regardless how strong or good one is or how much gear they have, Mother Nature will and can deliver it's fury. And sadly, in most cases, wins.

A positive side is to this sad incident, they both transitioned to the next dimension doing what they loved the most and chose to do.

Condolences to all family and friends.

sharperblue

by sharperblue » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:12 pm

Those two sure built up an impressive resume; seems like everyone knew and liked and was inspired by them, but I never had the pleasure of a solid meeting. We arrived back in Lima when the word came in. Palcaraju is a spectacular peak and a very worthy final battle for Gil and Ben. Sounds like they completed the original 1954 route - probably hasn't been climbed three times since

Fletch

by Fletch » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:09 pm

Impressive climbers. Ben looks like he solo'ed Denali in four days. Not too shabby. Looks like these guys were from LA/SD? Lots of reports here in CO say they were from Boulder? Probably both?

Nevertheless, very sad. RIP boys.

Vitaliy M.

by Vitaliy M. » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:03 am

Fletch wrote:Impressive climbers. Ben looks like he solo'ed Denali in four days. Not too shabby. Looks like these guys were from LA/SD? Lots of reports here in CO say they were from Boulder? Probably both?

Nevertheless, very sad. RIP boys.

Ben was originally from east coast, and was a grad student at SD. I met him in Talkeetna, and we climbed in Sierra. He was a multi-dimensional guy who was not only a talented climber, but also a runner (ran ultra marathons. Last one was Western States 100), snowboarder, devoted Christian, and a grad student. Although a terrible loss, I respect people like him that go out there and live vs exist. I was very shocked and still am by the number of deaths of people I knew directly or indirectly in the last 2 month.

Return to News