Alberta/BC Northern Pike Fishing

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Canada and Alaska. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Canada and Alaska Climbing Partners forum.
no avatar
steelfrog

Alberta/BC Northern Pike Fishing

by steelfrog » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:37 pm

Howdy. I am taking The Boy up to the CR for 9 days starting next week. We are doing a bunch of hiking but also he wants to catch fish with teeth, which to me means Northern Pike. Does anyone know the better lakes for them? I have identified one called Lake Talbot in Jasper but it's right on the highway--any others? And suggestions for where to rent fishing gear? Many thanks!

lcarreau

Re: Alberta/BC Northern Pike Fishing

by lcarreau » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:18 am

steelfrog wrote:Howdy. I am taking The Boy up to the CR for 9 days starting next week. We are doing a bunch of hiking but also he wants to catch fish with teeth, which to me means Northern Pike. Does anyone know the better lakes for them? I have identified one called Lake Talbot in Jasper but it's right on the highway--any others? And suggestions for where to rent fishing gear? Many thanks!

Are you sure he doesn't mean salmon? Salmon also have teeth while spawning, and it doesn't take as long to hook one.

Perhaps Alaska is calling your name ? The best bet is to go with spoons and spinners.
"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

Enkidu

Re: Alberta/BC Northern Pike Fishing

by Enkidu » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:22 am

Check out the following link:

http://albertafishingguide.com/

It has a search feature by zone and species and will give you a google map to the locations that are returned as well as a weather forecast.

In terms of renting, you may be better off (unless you want to fly fish) to buy a spinning combo at Canadian Tire or Walmart in Calgary (assuming you are coming in via Calgary). You could probably get something servicable for $40-50 that would last for 9 days and give you a lot more flexibility.
Bring a compass. It's awkward when you have to eat your friends

Return to Canada and Alaska