The vanishing Snows of Kilimanjaro

Mountaineering, rock climbing, and hiking news.
no avatar
sopwith21

NOTE TO MODERATOR

by sopwith21 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:39 pm

NOTE TO MODERATOR:

A news report on a new finding that Himalayan glaciers were not, in fact, melting was banished to PnP.

Why is this thread, which takes the opposite position, considered legitimate "news" and left here in the news section?

It doesn't matter which way we go, but let's be consistent. If we're to banish environmental news to PnP, let's banish ALL environmental threads equally.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:34 pm

This thread stayed fairly civil, and most people did seem to read the cited article a bit more carefully after the dual interpretations were mentioned. The other thread seemed to be raising emotions, and was quickly spinning off into heated rhetoric.

The middle-of-the-road is a dangerous place... you get hit by cars going both directions!

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:38 am

What is more, he suggested that the recent melting had more to do with a decline in moisture levels than with a warming atmosphere.

“Our understanding is that it is due to the slow drying out of ice,” Dr. Kaser said. “It’s about moisture fluctuation.”

Imagine that, the lack of precip and not actual warming is the primary cause.

Maybe someone should tell Gore.

As MoapaPk stated, maybe the AGW close minded religous Thumpers should actually read the recent peer reviewed study.... duh.

Alpinist

by Alpinist » Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:03 pm

I don't doubt that a reduction in percipitation is a major factor in the glacier melt on Kilimanjaro. However, that does not in any way disprove global warming.

The majority of glaciers on this planet are melting. Unless you can prove that they are all melting because of a lack of percipitation, then the fact that the glacier on Kili is melting because of it means nothing in the context of the global warming debate.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:20 pm

Alpinist wrote:I don't doubt that a reduction in percipitation is a major factor in the glacier melt on Kilimanjaro. However, that does not in any way disprove global warming.

The majority of glaciers on this planet are melting. Unless you can prove that they are all melting because of a lack of percipitation, then the fact that the glacier on Kili is melting because of it means nothing in the context of the global warming debate.

I think one of the points of the article(s) was that people should be cautious in using Kili as a "poster child"; there are much better (less ambiguous) examples of glaciers melting from temperature change.

EDIT: The ties between GW and glacial advance/retreat are really very complicated:
http://www.scientificblogging.com/news_ ... al_warming

I think it is fairly dangerous, no matter what side of the debate you are on, to draw simple conclusions. There are glaciers that are "advancing" rapidly, but are actually decreasing in total mass, since they now have a more slippery bottom layer and are accelerating and thinning as they move to the sea.
Last edited by MoapaPk on Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
Mihai Tanase

by Mihai Tanase » Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:22 pm

MoapaPk wrote:The middle-of-the-road is a dangerous place... you get hit by cars going both directions!

Excellent!

no avatar
sopwith21

by sopwith21 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:03 pm

MoapaPk wrote:This thread stayed fairly civil, and most people did seem to read the cited article a bit more carefully after the dual interpretations were mentioned. The other thread seemed to be raising emotions, and was quickly spinning off into heated rhetoric.

You're discussing WHY two threads on the same topic are treated in an inconsistent, contradictory fashion (and you could be quite correct). I'm merely observing THAT two threads on the same topic are treated in an inconsistent, contradictory fashion.

Day Hiker

by Day Hiker » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:11 am

sopwith21 wrote:
MoapaPk wrote:This thread stayed fairly civil, and most people did seem to read the cited article a bit more carefully after the dual interpretations were mentioned. The other thread seemed to be raising emotions, and was quickly spinning off into heated rhetoric.

You're discussing WHY two threads on the same topic are treated in an inconsistent, contradictory fashion (and you could be quite correct). I'm merely observing THAT two threads on the same topic are treated in an inconsistent, contradictory fashion.

Just a hunch, and the site's admin can verify, but I don't think the other thread was moved because of TOPIC.

OMG....What the fuck are you talking about?

Wow ...you really do know it all. The massive consensus of scientists all around the world means nothing to you. Does it suck being that good or can you deal with it because you are just that fucking cool?
Maybe someday if I spray enough on SP I too can reach your level of awesomness.
Until then I'll just stick with trolling...

You fucking hypocrite.
Asshole.
you're just another gym-climbing loud mouthed n00b.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:01 pm

no avatar
sopwith21

by sopwith21 » Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:45 am

Day Hiker wrote:Just a hunch, and the site's admin can verify, but I don't think the other thread was moved because of TOPIC.

Moderators become puppets when they allow deliberately posted profanity to manipulate them into moving a news story PnP. That's why they have the ability to delete individual posts.

WouterB

by WouterB » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:38 am

sopwith21 wrote:
Day Hiker wrote:Just a hunch, and the site's admin can verify, but I don't think the other thread was moved because of TOPIC.

Moderators become puppets when they allow deliberately posted profanity to manipulate them into moving a news story PnP. That's why they have the ability to delete individual posts.

+1.006

Why can't the Tanzanian government just hire the Chinese to change the weather for them?

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:14 pm

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Turkeys against climate change

I ran out of apostrophes.

lowlands

by lowlands » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:24 pm

I hope I get to climb Kili before all of the snow is gone.

no avatar
Jasonak

Re: The vanishing Snows of Kilimanjaro

by Jasonak » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:14 am

Previous

Return to News