Deleted Mountain Pages?.... Why?

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
Mooner

Deleted Mountain Pages?.... Why?

by Mooner » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:56 am

So I recently started some pages on some mountains that I had climbed. Posted pictures and wrote a brief description.... When I logged on today they were deleted from the website... pictures and all... Why??

visentin

Re: Deleted Mountain Pages?.... Why?

by visentin » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:58 pm

Probably somebody zealous raised them as "uncomplete submissions" in the minute after ;)

surgent

by surgent » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:03 pm

The pictures should still be in your account.

Rebuild the pages with more complete information and narrative and all should be well. Some new pages get posted with little information and no indication that it will be completed in a particular time frame.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:05 pm

Mooner wrote:So I recently started some pages on some mountains that I had climbed. Posted pictures and wrote a brief description.... When I logged on today they were deleted from the website... pictures and all... Why??

What kind of pages were they -- mountain/rock, trip reports, albums? If they were mountain/rock, did pages for those peaks already exist on summitpost?

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:35 pm

So I recently started some pages on some mountains that I had climbed. Posted pictures and wrote a brief description....

Which mountains were they?

Looking through your photos, other than Stoud Peak, which you have one photograph of, all other photos you have already have existing mountain pages. Duplicates are not allowed, so it could be that if they were dupicates, they were deleted.

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:36 am

If it was a trip report, you can make it "unique" by adding your own flavor to it. Persistence counts ! Please, don't give up just because the (incomplete?)
pages were deleted.

:wink:
"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

visentin

by visentin » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:59 am

Scott wrote:Duplicates are not allowed, so it could be that if they were dupicates, they were deleted.

The name of the site itself is a bit confusing for newcomers who don't take the time to read the "New to SummitPost?" section.
Since ages many new people keep posting mountain pages again and again, thinking that a page is what should indeed be a summit log entry (or trip report in the best case). Instead of raw removal, perhaps there are cases in which elves could show more understanding, and only change the type into TR/Album attached to the concerned mountain. Especially when it contains nice photos or a consequent piece of text.

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:17 pm

The name of the site itself is a bit confusing for newcomers who don't take the time to read the "New to SummitPost?" section.

Yes. There should be a note when adding new submissions that says to check if the mountain already exist. SP used to have one, but it was changed.

Anyway, Mooner nice job on the route page you have added.

If you find out why the pages were deleted (i.e. if they were duplicates), let us know.

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:56 am

Mooner, I deleted the pages, and not wantonly.

By the end of the weekend, I will send you a PM explaining why and offering suggestions to help.
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)

Return to General