Fire on Adams

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Washington and Oregon. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Pacific Northwest Climbing Partners section.
philoparts

Fire on Adams

by philoparts » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:26 pm

Looks like a 1600 acre fire on Crofton Ridge area, South Climb/Cold Springs is closed. Hopefully no one from out if the area gets surprised trying to get up there to climb. I drove over 20 from Mt. Vernon yesterday then down to the Adams area to see family. Fires all over the eastern and southern parts of Wa.

Josh Lewis

Re: Fire on Adams

by Josh Lewis » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:49 am

Yikes, didn't know about that. :? I guess our season of beauty is taking it's toll.

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:03 am

It's all part of the Greater Ecosystem. Wildfires are overrated, because the Media paints them as being bad. They're not always bad. :wink:

Some plants depend on fires for regeneration.
"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

no avatar
tguido

by tguido » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:21 pm

My friend and I attempted Mt. Adams on Sunday. We never made it to the summit because of a fire that started at about 1 AM Sunday. We ended hiking about 2 miles, and turned around at 8 AM when we saw an accumulation of smoke a couple of miles away. The funny / disgusting thing is some people continued their hike saying things like "We will just get a helicopter rescue" and "I'll be able to collect insurance money for my car [after it gets destroyed]. We got out of the area by 9:30 AM, and the Forest Service ended up closing the road to the trail head. People ended up being directed to hike out to a different trail head (thus leaving their cars).

So it may be that the fires aren't bad, but people's reactions to them can be. Especially if they ended up (through their poor decision making) diverting resources that could be used better elsewhere.

The following user would like to thank tguido for this post
lcarreau

philoparts

by philoparts » Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:22 am

Well, sounds like a few people who had to leave cars there got their wish. From inciweb.....

1000 hr update: Two of the four vehicles that had to be left at Morrison trailhead on Sunday when hikers had to be evacuated off Mt. Adams were distroyed by the fire. The third suffered paint and plastic parts damage, the fourth was not damaged. The owners have been notified. The status of the vehicles at Cold Springs/South Climb trailheads is unknown at this time.

What's New: The latest measure of the fire is 5,080 acres as of this morning, with 579 personnel assigned. Containment remains at zero. Containment is the gauge of confidence fire managers have the fire will stay within existing control lines, not simply the amount of the fire that has control line on it. The fire was very active yesterday and grew several hundred acres, mostly to the north into the wilderness. There was less smoke impact to the west side of the Cascades than expected, and most of the smoke went east. Several Western Washington counties are issuing air quality advisories resulting from the many fires east of the Cascades.

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:26 am

philoparts wrote:Well, sounds like a few people who had to leave cars there got their wish.

I'm not saying it was a good choice to leave their cars there, but if they were TOLD to leave their cars there, then that's a horse of a different color.

Gotta remember, sometimes decisions are made in the heat of the moment ..... so to speak ....... :wink:

philoparts

by philoparts » Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:43 am

Referring back to tguido's post, sounds like people who joked about it and continued to climb despite the obvious hazards were told to hike out a different trail and leave their cars....which then did burn.

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:31 am

philoparts wrote:Referring back to tguido's post, sounds like people who joked about it and continued to climb despite the obvious hazards were told to hike out a different trail and leave their cars....which then did burn.

Well .... if the hikers were TOLD to hike out a different trail and leave their cars there .... the person who told them should be held "partially" responsible
for their "damaged" property.

I wonder how Judge Judy would handle this one ...? :roll:

philoparts

by philoparts » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:52 am

Not that I'm a lawyer or any sort of legal scholar, but I believe that it could be argued that since they continued to climb after there was a know hazard (Act Of God) occurring, they might be S.O.L. It's just like people who try and drive through flood waters; they know there is an "Act Of God" occurring but they still choose to ignore it. Oh well, as long as people made it out and not charred bodies.......

The following user would like to thank philoparts for this post
lcarreau

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:48 am

philoparts wrote: It's just like people who try and drive through flood waters ...

This is a very good point. In Arizona, we have the "Stupid Motorist Law ..."

The “Stupid Motorist Law”, which corresponds to section 28-910 of the Arizona Revised Statutes, states that any motorist who becomes stranded after driving around barricades to enter a flooded stretch of roadway may be charged for the cost of his/her rescue.

Of course, a fire is different from a flood, but people will always claim stupidity no matter what kind of law is placed upon them. Sad, but true ..

no avatar
splattski

by splattski » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:12 pm

Is this the one?

Return to Pacific Northwest (WA, OR)