Wanted: Paris #960 Expedition Sled

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
RickF

Wanted: Paris #960 Expedition Sled

by RickF » Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:35 am

I've been looking around for the Paris #960 HDPE expedtion sled. (There's a description in the Summitpost Gear section.) REI used to sell them for about $30 but no longer carries them, at least not in southern California or in the On-line catalog. Amazon is selling them through their suppliers for $194.22, over 6 times the retail store price in New England states! I'd rather give a fellow SPer some bucks and pay for the shipping. If anyone has one that their not using and wants to sell it reply or PM me.

96avs01

Re: Wanted: Paris #960 Expedition Sled

by 96avs01 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:43 am

have 2 sitting in my garage, they are rigged up as ski pulks. you really want to own, or would a loaner work?

WouterB

by WouterB » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:20 am

I've been looking at these as well. I can find some in Europe, but they won't ship them to me due to their size.

bluffview

by bluffview » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:05 pm

Might want to double check on that price. On another board there was someone asking if anyone was looking for one. It seems he could get either 5 or 6 of them for that price and was looking to do a group buy. Sounds like the same deal to me.

RickF

by RickF » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:00 pm

96avs,
I'm trying to get one to build a pulk as well.

Bluffview,
I've done a reasonably thorough price check, searching everyway I could think of. That's why I posted here. Paris does sell them in minimum quantities to sporting goods, outdoor gear, hunting and fishing stores in New England. Places like Menards, Gander Mountian, and Dunham Sports. The stores sell them for about $30. I'm at the opposite corner of the U.S. The only place I can find them on-line is through Amazon from Vendors that are apparently adding exhorbitant mark-ups. I may just have to bite the bullet and pay the $200, it's still cheaper than traveling to the Northeast and bring one back.

Bill Kerr

by Bill Kerr » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:34 pm

Whoa - instead of paying $200 for just a sled why not buy a fully equipped paris sled that includes poles, hardware and hipbelt from http://www.skipulk.com/products%20and%20parts.html
Scroll down to find combos with sleds and shipping.
Very good quality hardware and workmanship and they have the best reputation for being easiest to ski with.

The following user would like to thank Bill Kerr for this post
RickF

RickF

by RickF » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:57 pm

Bill,

Thank-you!!! You found exactly what I was looking for!

Bill Kerr

by Bill Kerr » Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:21 pm

Rick,
You are welcome. I went through a seach for Paris sleds last year and decided to just order a sled from Ed's Pulks. I am quite impressed with it although I have only used it a bit. Timing and bad weather prevented a Columbia Icefield trip so I have not yet had a chance to fully test it on a multiday tough conditions trip.

Bill

no avatar
SledPulk

by SledPulk » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:33 pm

I know it 's summer, but know is the time to start building pulks for the winter using Paris 960 expedition sleds. the wholesale ware house in in Maine and the only retail suppliers I know of are in the North East at Aubuchon Hardware and possibly Menards Hardware, Main, New York and other Northeastern States and Canada.

REI no longer carries or does special orders for them as ERA PRO purchased Paris and ERA PRO is not an REI vendor.

I have some contact in Main who can purchase 960 Expedition sleds in case quantities and ship them to me in Colorado.

I only need a few sleds, so I need to find other folks who will can take the rest off my hands.

Please let me know if you are interested, and how many Paris 960 Expedition sleds you want, and your shipping zip code so I can work out the price and shipping costs to delver them to you.

Thank you

no avatar
HikerChica

by HikerChica » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:14 pm

Hi SledPulk,

I live in Littleton and would be interested in going in on the group purchase - I would like two sleds.

Let me know if this offer is still available.

no avatar
SledPulk

by SledPulk » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:55 am

Dear HikerChica,

Sorry to not get back to your earlier. I am much easier to reach via e mail at greg_hoffman@earthlink.net or by telephone 303 273 5721

I am putting in one more order for this season.

Call me if you are interested.

Thank

Greg

no avatar
paulboudreault

by paulboudreault » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:39 pm

Hello everyone,
[b]The PARIS 960 EXPEDITION SLED is available in the USA as follows:[/b]EAST COAST: Aubuchon Hardware - you must pick it up directly from their store
WEST COAST: True Value Hardware - Just go to your local store and ask. This item is available from the Colorado Distribution Center and will be shipped to the stores:
CALIFORNIA: There is a distributor called CHAINS REQUIRED and CARLINE AUTO PARTS that carries this sled and will send it by mail. Call Roger Thornson at (800) 327-3806 or carlineautoparts@yahoo.com

Happy Trails
Paul Boudreault VP Sales Erapro/Paris

RickF

by RickF » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:04 pm

Reviving this old thread with a new question:
I've had my pulk for a couple of years now. I've only used it few times but it seems to work well. Now I'd like to improve its function and add a fitted cover or tarp. On Shasta in the Spring, we encountered wet snow and rain below 9,000 feet. The Paris Sled filled up with water and the gear in it got soaked. Seems like it would be easy to put a fitted cover that could cinch around the upper lip or flange of the sled. I tried an extra large backpack rain cover but it was just a little too short to reach from stem to stern. Anyone have cover for their pulk or know where to get one?

Damien Gildea

by Damien Gildea » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:15 pm

Might want to check out a lightweight duffel-style sled bag rather than a cover.
Something like: http://www.snowsled.com/polar-news-2/#more-978

96avs01

by 96avs01 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:50 am

Doubt you will find a cover that will have both an ideal fit and the ability to lift the contents of the pulk via handle if needed.

These are nice, but heavy and spendy.

We typically opt for a cheaper option, subdivide and pack our items in lawn/leaf bag and then stored within something like this and secured to the pulk. Allows for a bit more versatility and definitely cheaper than a waterproof duffel.

Let us know if you find any other good options.

Return to Gear