Ride Share to Montana/Colorado from Seattle

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Washington and Oregon. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Pacific Northwest Climbing Partners section.
Matt Lemke

Ride Share to Montana/Colorado from Seattle

by Matt Lemke » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:58 pm

Anyone want to ride share or join me on a trip to Montana/Colorado starting Dec 25th or 26th? Looking for someone to help with gas and go somewhere cool away from this terrible weather. I am headed east on I-90 to Billings and plan to stop in a few places in Montana like the Beartooth Mountains for some alpine climbing or Bozeman for some ice climbing. Then continue to Denver down I-25 for some climbing with friends waiting for me there. Peaks like Kit Carson, Little Bear, Hagerman etc on the agenda then.

This will also work for the return trip as I will be coming back to the Seattle area on January 7th. Anyone interested? What I or we do is flexible but I do want to get one Beartooth Mountain peak and one winter Colorado 14er while hanging with friends I have from CO and do some ice climbing somewhere.

I can also just drop you off wherever you want as well and we can go separate ways. I'd like to have any interested people be able to pay 40% of the gas (I'll cover 60) whenever riding together.

Example: If you want me to drop you off in Bozeman, you'd pay for 40% of the gas to took to go from Seattle to Bozeman.
Obviously the more people we have the better. I can fit three people comfortable which includes myself so two additional people.

Feel free to E-mail me at mlemke100@gmail.com or reply here or PM.
Thanks!

Diggler

Re: Ride Share to Montana/Colorado from Seattle

by Diggler » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:24 pm

Craigslist might be your best bet trying to find someone to rideshare with. To & from major population centers even more of a sure-fire bet (e.g. Seattle to Billings); I'd recommend posting there, as well as seeing what others have posted as well. Also, mention specifically in the body of the post other options (eg Seattle to Spokane, Spokane to Missoula, etc.). I've had a lot of success doing it like this. People are usually cool with a 50/50 gas split (if you drop them off where they need to go, factoring in the vehicle maintenance & insurance YOU're paying for, I think it's more than fair...).

Evans from Guanella Pass is a good bet in the winter from Denver- not technical, but beautiful views en route, & a fun, not-too strenuous day out.

Little Bear via the standard route would be non-trivial in the winter (avalanche danger, I'd surmise (although I've never thought about doing it in the winter, so haven't analyzed it too much from this perspective); just the approach via Lake Como would be a major undertaking, & the crux would likely involve dicey mixed climbing with snow over slabs (if you're lucky you might get nice ice to climb, as it does go up a drainage)).

If you want to do some ice climbing in Hyalite, check out montanaice.com. Winter Dance is probably the best guide to the area.

Sounds like the timing would be off, but I'll be in Denver until the 27th. If you happen to find yourself there during that time, hit me up.

Have fun- sounds like an adventure!

Matt Lemke

Re: Ride Share to Montana/Colorado from Seattle

by Matt Lemke » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:21 pm

Thanks Diggler. We are actually doing the SW ridge of LB. Hourglass at this time is just plain dumb. As for avy danger...HA there is no snow whatsoever in Colorado right now.
I did post on Craigslist and already got someone to ride share with. I'll be arriving in Denver the morning of the 27th. Not likely I'll be doing much in Montana this time but in March I will

Return to Pacific Northwest (WA, OR)