Cotopaxi

Regional discussion and conditions reports for South America. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the South American Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
musicallyajit

Cotopaxi

by musicallyajit » Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:55 pm

Hi,

I'm looking to go to Cotopaxi and the surrounding peaks during Dec 25-30. I'm a rock climber, but totally new to mountaineering. Any recommendations for guides around Quito, and also itineraries? I checked a few out on the web: 5 day trips that include some acclimatization climbs, but if you can point me to some guides based on your experiences there, that would be great!

Thanks,

Ajit

Jesus Malverde

Re: Cotopaxi

by Jesus Malverde » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:01 am

I haven't used these guys, but I've heard good things about them:
Ecuadorian Alpine Institute
http://www.volcanoclimbing.com/

FWIW, saw them on Cayambe in 2006, they seemed to have it together.

Also, people have spoken highly of Moggely on this forum, but they have changed their name it seems:
chimborazo-cotopaxi-logistics-t59771.html
also: guide-cotopaxi-chimborazo-t62183.html

Also, I think there are a few Washington (and other U.S.)-based mountain guide services that run instructional mountaineering programs on the Trilogia Ecuatoriana (package/not Cotopaxi only). Check out AAI, Mountain Madness, Alpine Ascents, etc.

Cotopaxi is awesome volcano and fun climb..

Happy hunting (and climbing)!

no avatar
staab

by staab » Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:01 am

...I climbed Chimborazo with these guys: http://andeannadventures.com/

It seemed to be a pretty good company and the owner John speaks perfect English.

Iliniza Norte is a good acclimitazation climb and can be done without gear.

schleger

by schleger » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:54 pm

Hello Music,

My daughter and I had a great experience this past June on a (4) peak adventure/ Pasochoa, Corazon, Illiniza Norte, Cotopaxi /. We used Edgar Parra at Lonelysummits.com. He is based out of Machachi. We were successful on all (4) peaks due, in great part, to a well coordinated effort by Edgar. Keep in mind Cotopaxi has roughly a 50% success rate. I feel we were successful due to the proper acclimatization regimen & determination by the guides. I submitted a Trip Report for Cotopaxi titled "no problems no worries" which might give you more specific information.

Sincerely,
Schleger

athom110

by athom110 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:57 am

Anybody hear anything through the grapevine about Sierra Nevada Expeditions (based in Quito) lately? I had been in email contact with them Sept to mid October and for the last 4 weeks they are not replying to anything all... I had hoped to plan a mountaineering trip with them for 10-12 days in early February.

Cissa

by Cissa » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:31 pm

I tried them too several times and got no response. I´m using AndeanFace and then Gulliver in January on separate trips for guiding. Got good reviews on both of them.

Boriss Andean

by Boriss Andean » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:26 am

athom110 wrote:Anybody hear anything through the grapevine about Sierra Nevada Expeditions (based in Quito) lately? I had been in email contact with them Sept to mid October and for the last 4 weeks they are not replying to anything all... I had hoped to plan a mountaineering trip with them for 10-12 days in early February.

Try sending an e.mail to Estalin, http://www.summitpost.org/users/highmountain/68195. He works (used to work for Freddy Ramirez - Sierra Navada's owner) he might know something.

Good luck!

MMclimbhigh

by MMclimbhigh » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:22 pm

Estalin is a good guy. We climbed Chimborazo with him last year. He comes highly recommended.

Cheers

athom110

by athom110 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:54 pm

Anybody ever used Andes Climbing Ecuador (www.andesclimbing.com) or heard anything positive or negative from people that have used their services?

ajaysomani

by ajaysomani » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:39 pm

MMclimbhigh wrote:Estalin is a good guy. We climbed Chimborazo with him last year. He comes highly recommended.

Cheers

I climbed Cotopaxi with Etalin around Nov end, and I would recommend him as well!

Return to South America