Backcountry Access DTS or Tracker2?

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
no avatar
looking4rocks

Backcountry Access DTS or Tracker2?

by looking4rocks » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:22 am

Hi,

I am working on purchasing the needed avalanche safety gear to go ski touring. I have done this once or twice before, so I'm new. For beacons, I am looking at BCA's basic model, the DTS, or the Tracker2. I would spend about $83 more to get the Tracker2. I know that's smaller/lighter, has multiple burial functions, uses 3 antennas for more accurate searching, but are these features worth it? Even if I get hooked, this sport probably isn't something I'll do for more than a year or 2, which is something else to consider. Can I get by safely with the DTS or should I fork out the extra bucks for the Tracker2?

Thanks for the insight!

96avs01

Re: Backcountry Access DTS or Tracker2?

by 96avs01 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:09 am

You'll be fine with either, but learn how to assess whether you have a broken internal antenna if you opt for the DTS.

Wild Snow Function Tests

Is there a reason you are only considering BCA transceivers?

I'm sure you've done sufficient research, but in case you missed it check out the following:

Beacon Reviews

no avatar
looking4rocks

Re: Backcountry Access DTS or Tracker2?

by looking4rocks » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:37 am

Yeah, the reason I've narrowed it to BCA is because of a pro-deal with them. Thanks for the info!

Return to Gear