Canyoneering/Exploration President's Day Weekend

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the great state of Utah, from the alpine peaks to the desert slots. Please post partners requests and trip plans here or in the Utah Climbing Partners section.
Scott
Forum Moderator

Canyoneering/Exploration President's Day Weekend

by Scott » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:15 pm

I'm looking for some interested people to explore a new technical canyon over Presidents Day Weekend. Just in case, it would be nice to have a rope gun with us. If interested, let me know.

Matt Lemke

Re: Canyoneering/Exploration President's Day Weekend

by Matt Lemke » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:32 pm

Scott,
I am very interested. And I am actually able to make this weekend work! What canyon were you thinking of? I am due for another trip to the desert. The only thing is that I won't have much time open on that Monday as I would have to leave to be on my way back to Seattle that afternoon but I assume you'd be wanting to drive back to CO then anyways.

Let me know!

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:39 pm

You would be welcome to come.

The canyon is quite hidden and has an approach through a non-technical slot to get there. It is SW of the North Wash area and accessed via State Highway 276 (Hanksville or Ticaboo would be what to look up if you wanted to see the area on mapquest or something).

Here is the plan.

Day 1: Hike through the non-technical slot and set up camp. Explore approaches to the technical canyon (I have checked some out).

Day 2: Technical canyon.

Day 3: Hike back out. Should be out by early afternoon.

I'm going to bring my wife and kids on the non-technical part. That way if something ever happened and we didn't show up that night (unlikely, but I like to be cautious), someone would immediately know that we are overdue. It should be an exciting trip. Exploring new canyons is always fun and exciting and this one appears to be a really good one.

Matt Lemke

by Matt Lemke » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:04 am

Sounds great Scott! I plan to join. I know exactly the area you are referring to as well. Such a wild and unexplored part of the country.

goofball

by goofball » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:09 am

gonna stay at teh cowboy camp ? there is reliable water there and it is a nice spot. i thought i'd be free that weekend but will not. good luck ! hope its as cool as expected. and don't be surprised to see bolts, i am certain it has been descended, judging from the approach i scouted and finding canyon gloves.

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:03 am

gonna stay at teh cowboy camp ? there is reliable water there and it is a nice spot. i thought i'd be free that weekend but will not. good luck ! hope its as cool as expected. and don't be surprised to see bolts, i am certain it has been descended, judging from the approach i scouted and finding canyon gloves.

Wrong canyon. Not the one by the cowboy camp. :wink:

Matt Lemke

by Matt Lemke » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:26 am

Dangit Scott I was just about to say that! :lol:

goofball

by goofball » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:34 am

Scott wrote:

Wrong canyon. Not the one by the cowboy camp. :wink:

aw, then my deduction was wrong :oops: . thought you were heading in to those peshliki forks, was hopin' there would be beta after as well to make my next try easier :( . that is such a cool area... enjoy n be safe !

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:09 pm

thought you were heading in to those peshliki forks

Those are on the list sometime too. I'm guessing that some of those are pretty hard core, especially the ones north of Peshliki.

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:55 pm

OK, anyone else interested? Just checking.

Matt, are you still going?

Return to Utah