SP Home Page

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.
Matt Lemke

Re: SP Home Page

by Matt Lemke » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:38 pm

Matt,
Yes I like the every page load! That's the whole point of POTM. :)

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:45 pm

Montana Matt wrote:
mrchad9 wrote:2. Added a 'Photo of the Moment'. I got this idea from some of Dow's earlier comments. The idea here is that it would be constantly changing. It should show the most recent photo added to the site that has some minimum criteria... a low one. The threshold is very low to make it almost random, basically showing the most recent photos added but with some criteria so it isn't just garbage. Often this photo might not be present very long, maybe just minutes, sometimes hours, depending on site activity. It isn't the highest scoring photo, since it is replaced as soon as a newer one meets the criteria. This also shakes up the POTD process until we can get adjustments there (there becomes some advantage to submitting photos mid-day as opposed to 1:00 - 4:00 AM). I don't know how easy this is to program, but if Matt can do it this will be very cool.

This could be quite difficult to achieve if we want to prevent crap from showing up while still selecting photos (somewhat randomly) from recent submissions.

What about including photos from the previous week or two in the selection? That would present a large number of photos and to be able to select one at random without as much risk of crap ending up being chosen. And how long should it stay there? Should it change on every page load? Then it really would be the "Photo of the Moment".

If the criteria is as I described in my PM to you, I don't think much crap would show up. It would take some support and regardless wouldn't remain very long, as it would be replaced as soon as future photos met the criteria.

Changing every load is a possibility, but I wonder if that leads folks to ignore it since they know they are the only ones seeing it... thus it seems less 'special'. I like the idea of everyone seeing the same thing, and it getting that photo a little bit of attention.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:48 pm

Well then you'd have to define a criteria to select those 10 photos...

Montana Matt wrote:
mrchad9 wrote:If the criteria is as I described in my PM to you, I don't think much crap would show up.

I'm still reading through that and digesting it.

I didn't proofread it so good luck.

Baarb

by Baarb » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:40 am

Personally I would be interested in seeing either the 'Photo of the Moment' or a picture somewhere in another guise linked to how many comments there were rather than votes. Sure you see a pretty sunrise from some peak or other you might give it a high vote but the ones that get all the comments have that extra edge that makes someone want to write something, be it a question or an observation.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:06 am

It would quickly be manipulated if it were known to be a factor.

The following user would like to thank mrchad9 for this post
Bob Sihler

Josh Lewis

by Josh Lewis » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:51 am

While it's a neat idea, I agree with Mr. Chad. Plus we could always look in What's new if we were wanting to see commented photos. :wink:

visentin

by visentin » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:38 am

Idea: users should be able to parametrize the content of the home page according to some preferences, like :
- Geographical areas they are interested into
- Disciplines they are interested into (skiing, rock-climbing, etc)

The following user would like to thank visentin for this post
johnm, mrchad9

visentin

by visentin » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:11 pm

There are two major conditions for this to work :
- Every user would need to update their profile with favorite activities. This could be done in the form of a mandatory update next login from when the change takes place.
- All the content would need to be classified more accurately (is it a ski route ? a climbing route ? hiking ? or many of these ?). The current lack of tags (or messy tags) on most pages is in my opinion the most problematic... one remedy could be to allow each user including non owners, or even non-members of SP, to fix tags on all pages.

Josh Lewis

by Josh Lewis » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:41 pm

I like the ability to change it on your profile. I thought of an idea similar to this a while back. How I would have made it is to create a few different templates of the site that are almost exactly the same, but have each template display for each category "climbing, hiking, ect". However this method goes with what tools I have, I'm sure there's an even easier way to create this.

Regarding the community being able to tag: While I think it's a neat idea, that's what additions and corrections are for. If the owner ignores them, it should be brought to the attention of the admins (perhaps a polite PM to the owner first). The admins should act accordingly to missing information.

visentin

by visentin » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:49 pm

90% of page owners are not connecting anymore to SP. Do you know any elves willing to do that ?

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:07 am

Photo of the Moment? Cool ... but what about .....

"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

The following user would like to thank lcarreau for this post
mrchad9

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:09 am

visentin wrote:90% of page owners are not connecting anymore to SP. Do you know any elves willing to do that ?

Do what? I'm not quite sure what the question is.
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)

visentin

by visentin » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:00 am

maintain unmaintained pages

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:18 pm

visentin wrote:maintain unmaintained pages

Okay. If abandoned pages need important information updated or corrected and no one wants to adopt the page, yes, an elf will make the changes.
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)

visentin

by visentin » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:55 pm

This is not what I mean, read above. You are describing what's happening currently when a page needs update for some reason and the user has gone since long.
Now the context is : if, for forthcoming SP improvement or new feature, most pages require a better classification by route type (or worse, any additional field than we can imagine) then almost all pages will need reviewing.
Elves can't bear this load of work (they're humans, with a job, with limited amount of free time...)
Picture yourself sorting ten thousand pages by selecting if they are a ski route or climbing route or any other.
Even for usual updates I think the most time goes, the most the elves model, when it comes about adopting or modifying out of current rights system (PMing the owner, etc), is outdated. Except faithful members (we are maximum a hundred), most SP users tend to discover SP, to like it for a year or two, then slowly disappear. I admit myself I have less and less time with a child and a new job...
In the pile of pages that constitute the ecosystem of SP the percentage of pages belonging to active user is getting smaller and smaller... like the emerged part of the iceberg.
There is a strong need for allowing a page to be further updated beyond the current system of rights.
From this there is open way to all sort of ideas...
I don't even know myself what could be best, but I think that there could be a system like any user can post a page modification, and it goes online when a certain number of other users approve it (2,3,5 ?)

PreviousNext

Return to Site Feedback