SP new changes (done)

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.
mrchad9

Re: SP new changes (done)

by mrchad9 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:08 am

Josh Lewis wrote:The dynamite went off. Everyone's power level changed dramatically. :lol: I lost almost half of mine. :wink: It's a good thing I am not worried about it. :D Change is on the horizon, and it's looking good.

As far as I know, EVERYONE's power went down. Not aware of any exceptions to that, though there may be one or two.

That was part of it... they must be more valuable now.

: - )

Matt Lemke

by Matt Lemke » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:21 am

Thanks Chad for doing all that math! I really like the new algorithms.

The following user would like to thank Matt Lemke for this post
mrchad9, yatsek

Bubba Suess

by Bubba Suess » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:40 am

A number of my maps that I had on pages have disappeared. All of them where placed using html rather than the normal SP image inserting mechanism. Will this straighten out or do I need to go back and edit all my pages that are now missing maps?

Josh Lewis

by Josh Lewis » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:45 am

Missing? You used HTML to insert it... right? Do you mind providing a link to such a page with a missing image? Also place in the HTML you used to display the map in your reply using the code button. I'm the HTML fix guy. :wink: (Matt does this too)

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:48 am

Josh Lewis wrote:Missing? You used HTML to insert it... right? Do you mind providing a link to such a page with a missing image? Also place in the HTML you used to display the map in your reply using the code button. I'm the HTML fix guy. :wink: (Matt does this too)

Look at section 4 of the Mount Shasta page Josh. Both images.

Bubba Suess

by Bubba Suess » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:52 am

mrchad9 wrote:
Josh Lewis wrote:Missing? You used HTML to insert it... right? Do you mind providing a link to such a page with a missing image? Also place in the HTML you used to display the map in your reply using the code button. I'm the HTML fix guy. :wink: (Matt does this too)

Look at section 4 of the Mount Shasta page Josh. Both images.

That was the first one I noticed but there are others.

Josh Lewis

by Josh Lewis » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:02 am

I looked at the page and viewed the source code. It displayed nothing! So I assume the HTML is not rendering right. One of the major changes that effects a page (which yes I was the one that proposed it) was a new Doctype. SP is using the latest version. This means deprecated code according to the W3C (the guys who run the WWW show) will not display or will be unsupported. While at first this seems like a bad thing because many things on SP will break (Matt and I were well aware of this). But bad coding practice cannot continue. It will catch up to SP. So we had to act to create a secure future.

So could you provide all the code used in the map section? This will be very useful in helping me figure this out.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:10 am

Hmmmmm...
Last edited by mrchad9 on Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

Josh Lewis

by Josh Lewis » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:16 am

This is caused by invalid HTML. A closing tag is required on links.

Edit: There is more to this, for some reason valif HTML is not working. :o This doesn't happen that often.
Last edited by Josh Lewis on Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

silversummit

by silversummit » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:38 pm

Bravo! I really like the new site "look"; attractive, bright and great variety! Much more to browse on the opening page!

Only minus so far for me is that I can't see the result of my vote for a page etc. The gray makes it difficult. Sometimes I have to click on the "X" to remove the vote and then click again and watch the number change.....

The following user would like to thank silversummit for this post
Matt Lemke

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:20 pm

WHAT HAPPENED TO MY POWER POINTS?

:wink:
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)

Bubba Suess

by Bubba Suess » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:26 pm

I agree, I think things look good and the voting is great. It was interesting to see how scores adjusted considering how old some objects were and how much their score had declined and now are restored.

A few problems I have noticed:
1. The maps, as has been brought to Josh's attention.
2. The gray squares for voting does get old. It seems the yellow color vote count shows up sporadically but it would be nice if it was there all the time.
3. Photo of the moment has a lot of repetition. I have seen this, this, and this more than once since the change. The last one I have seen four times.
4. The background color on this table lost its background color, which is supposed to be gray or blue.

Overall, I think the changes are moving in the right direction. We just need to work out the bugs (by which I mean I get to gripe and someone who knows what they are doing gets to work out the bugs)!

MarkDidier

by MarkDidier » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:48 pm

Thank you to Matt, Josh and Chad for all their work on the updates. Still surfing through trying to get a feel for some of the changes.

mrchad9 wrote:... they must be more valuable now.

My initial take on the new voting/power algorithm, is that it is a big improvement. It looks like the real meat of the site (Area/Ranges, Mountains, Routes) is getting a much heavier weight...glad to see that Power Points are earned by adding more value to the site, as they should be!

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:26 pm

Post bugs in the 'report bugs here' sticky thread. No need for the two reported here, as Matt is aware of them.

The voting squares are not shaded correctly after you vote, which will be fixed. Not top priority or high enough to stop the transition since you can still see the text showing how you voted, and once you refresh or return to the page it shows the shading correctly.

Bubba the shading in that table is being crushed by the new code. It affects about half my pages too, not sure yet if it is something we will have to fix on our end or not.

Correct... Route pages and articles are worth more, as are mountain pages.

Redwic

by Redwic » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:47 pm

Holy cow! My "Power" rating went down by nearly 450 points!
Some people had a "Power" rating that hardly went down, at all.

What happened?

PreviousNext

Return to Site Feedback