Report Bugs Here

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.
Dow Williams

Re: Report Bugs Here

by Dow Williams » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:39 pm

Josh, Matt or Chad, just pm me if you don't mind, when you think you have SP compatible with Internet Explorer. I don't follow the forums.

Dow Williams

by Dow Williams » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:37 am

Thanks for the heads up Matt.

This is what I am getting when I try and add a mountain page.

replace_object() failed: DB Error: unknown error

Josh Lewis

by Josh Lewis » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:38 am

I did some more testing with IE9 which I could not replicate the error. :( I attached some images which worked just fine. I did notice that it could use some styling on IE. I'll add that to the tracker. CSS (styling) issues are a lot easier for me to find. But function errors are not my expertize at the moment. :?

Dow Williams

by Dow Williams » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:15 pm

Montana Matt wrote:Thanks Dow. I just created a mountain page without any problems, so I'm not sure what's going on here. But the error you're getting is definitely something on our end. I'd have to see what you're inputting and selecting to be able to trouble shoot it further.

Can you either post here or PM me what you're inputting for all of the fields?

Matt, adding photos is not the problem. Adding a mountain page is. I have tried to isolate the error through trial and error, but can't. I filled in an entire page (the way I submit typically) and received this error. I then started by adding a page with little to no information, trying to isolate the field the error was occurring in, could not. It sometimes allowed me to successfully add a page, and sometimes did not....very similar to the other member's problem stated above. Maybe 2/3 success. I believe there is only one necessary field to be completed to allow a page to be added.....so I troubleshooted of course without filling in much...sometimes success, sometimes not...bottom line, way too difficult and time consuming for those of us who are non-nerd contributors. The new format actually takes more time, not less and with these stability problems...for any member like me you were hoping to attract, makes it impossible to contribute. Good luck figuring it out.....if you do get it fixed let me know...otherwise I will keep writing beta off line and just wait until gearbeans is up and have them upload it in raw form vs a copy and transfer.

You did not achieve randomness or excitement on exposure nor made it easier to contribute. In contrast, the changes you made mutilated every beta page of mine. Folks will use them, but unacceptable to me of course. Would take way too long to fix it. I really think you have dropped the ball here Matt, just my opinion (not that it is worth much to you) of course. Good Luck.

Dow Williams

by Dow Williams » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:28 pm

Montana Matt wrote:Feedback with regards to the changes has been overwhelmingly positive as well.

Among your very limited active membership which consists of mostly computer savvy photographers, a dozen or so, versus true outdoor amateur athletes. I believe that is where you really missed the boat on this. They had you chasing your tail on the voting bs which should be a minute issue at best. I vacated your forums quite some time ago, so has anyone else who had the experience to help folks with technical climbing questions, alpine, ice, rock, etc.....you are basically left with a few gear whores who would suffer ridicule on mountain project for their obsession for the latest in gear, so they post up here. You should have had your eye on opening the site up, vs catering to the few active members you already have. I tried to help you there, just don't think you grasped it. When I joined, it was much different. Those competent outdoor rec members I knew then have been replaced by photographers and computer nerds. Your site in general just doesn't have any respect or credibility in the field. Folks know my name from using the beta but can't even tell you what site it derived from. They don't visit the forums, they don't participate or contribute. That needed to be your focus.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:36 pm

How are you supposed to cater to someone who can't even see the site name at the top of the page!

Matt isn't done yet, but it may surprise you to know that despite the many forum discussions that the voting changes was actually very little of Matt's time. That's partly why it went in so easily... simple tweak on the programming side. As he noted he's been focused elsewhere.

BTW Matt is the email feature not working now? I tried it a couple times seemingly to no effect, including testing it by emailing myself.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:20 pm

Email fixed!

Dow Williams

by Dow Williams » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:40 pm

replace_object() INSERT INTO `objects` SET `object_id`=NULL,`type_id`=1,`last_edit`=NOW(),`creation`=NOW(),`last_edit_user_id`='19503',`created_user_id`='19503',`show_toc`='Yes',`construction`='No',`object_name`='Disneyland Dome, 5.9-5.12a',`query_name`='Disneyland Dome climbs routes, Jungle Cruise climb route, Enchanted Stairway climb route, Mental Bankruptcy climb route traverse, Wonderland South climbs routes, Joshua Tree National park climbs routes, Jtree climbs routes, Dow Williams Joshua Tree Climbing',`continent`='North America',`country`='United States',`province`=NULL,`state_province`='California',`county`=NULL,`latitude`='34.046117',`longitude`='-116.144933',`activities`='Trad Climbing, Sport Climbing',`seasons`='Spring, Fall, Winter',`elevation`=NULL,`object_body_ft`='

Dow Williams

by Dow Williams » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:41 pm

only item I did not chose was county and elevation (not relevant to walls)....I sure would not make County a requirement...even for US additions...never got a fail this detailed before...always the short version

rgg
Forum Moderator

by rgg » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:47 pm

Dow Williams wrote:replace_object() INSERT INTO `objects` SET `object_id`=NULL,`type_id`=1,`last_edit`=NOW(),`creation`=NOW(),`last_edit_user_id`='19503',`created_user_id`='19503',`show_toc`='Yes',`construction`='No',`object_name`='Disneyland Dome, 5.9-5.12a',`query_name`='Disneyland Dome climbs routes, Jungle Cruise climb route, Enchanted Stairway climb route, Mental Bankruptcy climb route traverse, Wonderland South climbs routes, Joshua Tree National park climbs routes, Jtree climbs routes, Dow Williams Joshua Tree Climbing',`continent`='North America',`country`='United States',`province`=NULL,`state_province`='California',`county`=NULL,`latitude`='34.046117',`longitude`='-116.144933',`activities`='Trad Climbing, Sport Climbing',`seasons`='Spring, Fall, Winter',`elevation`=NULL,`object_body_ft`='

Just a guess: could the value that follows query_name be too long? If it is, then, ideally, the result shouldn't be something like 'unknown error', but either the value should be truncated or an understandable message be given. And preferably the field in the Create Page dialog should not allow values that are too long in the first place.
As I said, just a guess, it might be something completely different.

Dow Williams

by Dow Williams » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:55 pm

no, I tested it without the long query, just allowed it to self fill as it is set up to do with the wall name, same "replace object" fail....of course you want a longer query like this or a mountain or wall would not do well in search results..in all previous SP versions, a query this long was never an issue and worked well in search engines... can't imagine messing that aspect up in this rewrte, but it would not totally surprise me that someone working on it might not have any idea why that might be important

Dow Williams

by Dow Williams » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:18 am

gotcha .....before I believe it automatically cut it off Matt...in other words, go revisit or re edit a page and if one looked close enough, his/her query was chopped if it got to long, no error messages necessary....weird thing is I was sure I re submitted a new page without the long query trying to figure this out and still got the error...but perhaps that is what started it...thanks

ywardhorner

by ywardhorner » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:36 am

Montana Matt wrote:
ywardhorner wrote:When trying to upload/attach an image, 2 out of 3 times I end up with a blank page saying Internet Explorer Cannot Display The Page and I have to start over.

Which process are you talking about here? Uploading is very different than attaching unless you're talking about the process of uploading AND attaching?
ywardhorner wrote:Ditto when editing sections on the pages (ie. to insert an image). I either get the IE error page or a blank(ish) SP page showing just the text that normally appears at the bottom.

Sounds to me like a connectivity problem on your end, not anything wrong with the editor or the site.
ywardhorner wrote:Running IE9 on Win 7.

Have you tried a different browser.

hi Matt -- I'm talking about the link in the sidebar that you get when editing a page. Add Image -- Create New --> and then that whole process. However, I also get the problem when I edit a page. After clicking the Submit Changes button, I get the problems I described in my earlier post. It's not always the IE error page, sometimes it's a blank SP page with just the text at the bottom. Next time, I'll grab a screenshot and post it.

I do use Chrome as well as IE but haven't tried this process in Chrome. Personally, I'd be fine just using Chrome when I want to be on SP but lots and lots of people use IE.
Connect with me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/YWardHorner or check out my blog http://blog.yvettewardhorner.com

yatsek

by yatsek » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:21 pm

Why does today's POTD (the climbing bear) not show on the front page? A bug or have wildlife photos been banned from the front?

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:52 pm

yatsek wrote:Why does today's POTD (the climbing bear) not show on the front page? A bug or have wildlife photos been banned from the front?

There is a good chance it will be POTD tomorrow. Montana Matt and Chad can explain why better than I can, so I'll yield the podium to them on this one.
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)

The following user would like to thank Bob Sihler for this post
yatsek

PreviousNext

Return to Site Feedback