Report Bugs Here

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.
mrchad9

Re: Report Bugs Here

by mrchad9 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:32 pm

POTD is the best pic from the last 48 hrs instead of the last 24. That way it has been submitted a full 24+ hrs rather than less than 24 hrs. So it will be one day delayed from what it was before.

Implemented this for two reasons:

1. Allows more members time to vote on what they like, especially if they are used to using the best photos in a day link on the home page.
2. Removes some of the incentive to post photos just after midnight. Now pics submitted at 8:00 AM, or noon, or even in the afternoon have time to rise to the top. Previously afternoon submissions were at a severe disadvantage.

Wildlife photos will never be banned from the process or even a consideration. It is entirely automated and up to the members' votes to pick the winner.

The following user would like to thank mrchad9 for this post
Bob Sihler, Kiefer, yatsek

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:56 am

OK here is a real trivial bug... but I will post it anyway in case it is super easy to fix.

In the climber's log on our profile pages sometimes the parent of a page doesn't display. This often happens when a object has something attached as 'related'. I have cleaned some of these up, as generally making something a parent or child is a better fit anyway. But ideally we would either get rid of 'related' or make it so that it doesn't cause this issue.

But sometimes there is something called 'Resources' that does this. Where does this 'Resources' come from? It isn't an attachment. Look at the Mount Shasta page for example (pic below). And when I clicked it, it took me to Groupon.com!

Resources.jpg
Resources
Resources.jpg (41.59 KiB) Viewed 2114 times

Josh Lewis

by Josh Lewis » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:09 am

I've noticed that for a while, I didn't put it together that it was because of "related objects".

As for the resources, I figured it was an excuse to put in another ad. :wink: I say it should be renamed because it's misleading.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:18 am

It is definitely due to 'related' objects. And also those that have this resource thing. Changing it from related to something else corrects it, but I don't think members have the ability to affect 'resources'.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:28 am

Something else is causing the Shasta issue then. Maybe too many parents? It also applies to the Freel Peak page and the Mount Rainier page.

Kiefer

by Kiefer » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:46 am

I can't seem to find any question on this, but whenever one clicks on a members profile, that member's avatar pushes everything below it.
Little thing I know, but it creates a lot of empty space to the left of the avatar.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:06 am

Kiefer Thomas wrote:I can't seem to find any question on this, but whenever one clicks on a members profile, that member's avatar pushes everything below it.
Little thing I know, but it creates a lot of empty space to the left of the avatar.

I think that is a browser issue. I see that on IE7, but not safari. What's yours?

Kiefer

by Kiefer » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:10 am

mrchad9 wrote:
Kiefer Thomas wrote:I can't seem to find any question on this, but whenever one clicks on a members profile, that member's avatar pushes everything below it.

I think that is a browser issue. I see that on IE7, but not safari. What's yours?

That was another question I wanted to pose...but forgot! :oops:

I currently use IE-7.
Seems Safari is the way to go? If so, I'll change immediately. I just use IE-7 more out of habit than anything else.
You'd recommend Safari? Firefox? I don't like Chrome.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:38 am

Better let Josh or Matt answer that. I have IE and Safari but don't know anything about the others.

SP will definitely work better on other browsers than the old IE... I think the current version is 10 and it is even better on that. You're missing a lot of the visual improvements as is.

Josh Lewis

by Josh Lewis » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:28 am

IE10 requires windows 8! :evil: One of Microsoft's stunts to make more money. :? Safari seems decent from my experience. Personally I really enjoy FireFox. :) In my opinion it handles styling the best. Google Chrome is also great, but breaks certain things like text shadows and such (I'm nit picking on Chrome). Neither Matt nor I can even test IE7 because it's too old. Otherwise just to do a simple test I would have to uninstall my current version of IE (which is a pain in itself because it doesn't even show up on the list anymore). Then I'd have to install IE7, test what ever, uninstall it, and reinstall IE9. :| Not ideal. Fortunately I can virtually test IE8 through compatibility mode.

Do your self a favor, get rid of internet exploder!

Matt Lemke

by Matt Lemke » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:33 am

Kiefer Thomas wrote:
mrchad9 wrote:

I don't like Chrome.

You don't like Chrome???? :o

The next best browser is Firefox but I hate Firefox...It's Chrome for me :mrgreen:

Josh Lewis

by Josh Lewis » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:48 am

I've been holding back for a while, but finally can't resist saying this: The drop down menu (other) of the main menu is broken on the forum area. It doesn't do anything. Let me know if you need me to use my detective skills to figure it out. :wink:

Kiefer

by Kiefer » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:04 am

So.
I just installed Chrome again and tried perusing the net. Images looked as they should have but it took a long time for them to load.
And at that, SP wouldn't load right.
AND I kept getting a vague 'object error' message that prohibited me from clicking on anything. I just couldn't get rid of the error msg.
Even uninstalling Chrome and it's crony side applications, going back to IE, the same damn msg kept popping up.
I actually had to do a system restore.

Think I'll try Safari tomorrow.

Josh Lewis

by Josh Lewis » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:09 am

Firefox has been pretty good to me. :wink: Opera is another good one from what I hear.

Another bug I found, when trying to revert back to a previous version it tells me "No object data found: version mismatch."
This happens on this page: http://www.summitpost.org/south-face-vi ... ain/804167

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:54 pm

Just a heads up:

Something is wrong with the search function when you search by country. Sometimes it works, but other times it doesn't.

For example, El Salvador pulls up a blank. There are actually many SP submissions on El Salvador.

Just a few are below:

http://www.summitpost.org/cerro-el-pita ... dor/447065

http://www.summitpost.org/welcome-to-th ... ort/780363

http://www.summitpost.org/la-piedra-rajada/471969

http://www.summitpost.org/volcanoes-of- ... dor/780449

(The above are just examples, there are several more mountains, albums, etc. as well).

Some other countries seem to have the same problem as well.

Not sure what's up.

PreviousNext

Return to Site Feedback