Best climbs for an inexperienced climber in winter

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
agebuhr

Best climbs for an inexperienced climber in winter

by agebuhr » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:15 pm

I really want to get out and climb but I need a destination that will challenge me without pushing me past my limits. What peaks in the US would you recommend a novice climb in winter? I live in Indianapolis for geographic reference. I am also willing to buy some gear if need be. Most if my climbing gear is tailored toward summer ascents.

mrchad9

Re: Best climbs for an inexperienced climber in winter

by mrchad9 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:05 pm

A little more detail on what you are looking for? Overnight? Daytrip? What sort of difficulty?

Your current post is too general to get any meaninful suggestions. Maybe Mount Sunflower in Kansas... or Mount Washington NH in a push?

WyomingSummits

by WyomingSummits » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:46 am

mrchad9 wrote:A little more detail on what you are looking for? Overnight? Daytrip? What sort of difficulty?

Your current post is too general to get any meaninful suggestions. Maybe Mount Sunflower in Kansas... or Mount Washington NH in a push?

Not much of a difference between those two....especially in winter. Washington is known for it's balmy, 60 degree Feb-March temps with a gentle spring breeze.....Chad's gonna get someone killed one day......

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:53 am

Probably. Especially if I keep passing out unfiltered water.

WyomingSummits

by WyomingSummits » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:55 am

mrchad9 wrote:Probably. Especially if I keep passing out unfiltered water.

Passing out from unfiltered water....what a lightweight.

Gafoto

by Gafoto » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:14 am

Go out to the east coast. A lot of the mountains in Virginia and North Carolina can be summited with a hike in cold conditions. Some trails can be icy and/or covered in snow but usually aren't technical. Some good leather hiking boots and warm clothing are usually all you need. Instep crampons or yaktrax can help with icy conditions.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:28 am

WyomingSummits wrote:

Uhh... Passing out = handing out.

No one said 'passing out from'

The following user would like to thank mrchad9 for this post
Matt Lemke

agebuhr

by agebuhr » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:41 pm

Thanks for all the responses. To answer the fist poster's concern about the generality of the question, here are more details about what I am looking for.

I have time for a week-long trip.
I work full time so money is a concern but not a big one.
I cycle and run races so I am in great physical shape. My primary concern is technicality in winter. I climbed to 13,500 on Elbert in June and was up to my chest in snow. I would like to avoid replicating that experience.
Altitude is no problem for me.
I am looking for something challenging physically for me and a summit that would be an accomplishment as opposed to a walk-up.
I have snow shoes, all-weather gear, insulated hiking boots, down everything (including mittens), and I am willing and able to buy about anything else I would need.

Essentially I want to know what summit would be worthwhile for both its climbing qualities and overall experience factor.

Thanks for the help.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:25 pm

Mount Shasta fits, but that is a 2 day trip.

Mount Whitney mountaineer's route would be nice in winter... I hope to go next month too. Or if you want to go a whole week there is any number of loops or combinations of other peaks in the area, or up and down the eastern sierra, that you could do.

Ben Beckerich

by Ben Beckerich » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:41 pm

Nobody said Hood? WTF

Should be first on any list of training mountains fer noobs.
where am i going... and why am i in this handbasket?

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:53 pm

But I don't know that I would consider Hood that challenging. Maybe if he did Hood, Adams, and Saint Helens in winter all within a week?

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:02 pm

Nobody said Hood? WTF

Should be first on any list of training mountains fer noobs.

In late spring/early summer, maybe, but in winter, Idon't know if I would agree (at least not if you were planning on the summit). If you are with an experienced partner, then yes.

========================================================================================================================================

Anyway, as mentioned, (to the original poster) your criteria is vague and open and many places could fit the bill.

Personally, I'd start somewhere like the Sawatch Range of Colorado, the La Sal Mountains of Utah, or the Snake Range of Nevada (for example; these are all random choices out of dozens of possibilities) before moving to ranges such as the Cascades (unless you have experienced partners willing to show you the ropes per se).

Also, keep in mind that all that gear you list isn't going to protect you from something like an avalanche (or crevasse). Those kinds of things take experience.

A possibility would be to join a group where inexperienced climbers are allowed on trips. For example, 14ers.com is having a winter gathering soon. Sometimes summitpost does as well. So do other places in the country. Another possibility would be to take a climbing course (many of these are available, especially in places like California or the Cascades).

If you do decided to choose an area close to where I am, I could climb something with you, but I just burned all my vacation time in Nepal, and have another trip to the Cascades in July and out of the country later this year, so it would have to be confined to a 3-day trip. :cry:

PS, are you planning on going solo, with a friend, group, etc.? With someone experienced? It would change the answer concerning what mountains to climb.

EastKing

by EastKing » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:12 pm

agebuhr wrote: I cycle and run races so I am in great physical shape. My primary concern is technicality in winter. I climbed to 13,500 on Elbert in June and was up to my chest in snow. I would like to avoid replicating that experience.

Colorado
Actually what might be best here is to re-climb Mount Elbert again, this time with mulitple people (ie 3-5 to break the trail). Maybe put an invite out on this page and other local websites.
Anyone know about Torrey's and Grey's in winter???

Washington State
Saint Helens, again with people breaking trail.

Oregon
Mount Hood, South Side; make sure you know firmly how to use an ice-axe and a helmet

California
San Gorgonio; Long but according to Gimpilator not bad at all. Old Baldy as well.

New Hampshire
Mount Lafayette; East Coast Classic
Mount Washington via Lions Head; Really eye your weather forecast though before attempting these mountains. Go up there in a serious storm and you won't be coming back.

New York
Mount Marcy: Empire State Highpoint and Adirondack Classic

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:27 pm

Anyone know about Torrey's and Grey's in winter???

http://www.summitpost.org/colorado-14er ... ter/337648

The following user would like to thank Scott for this post
EastKing

WyomingSummits

by WyomingSummits » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:03 am

mrchad9 wrote:
WyomingSummits wrote:

Uhh... Passing out = handing out.

No one said 'passing out from'

lol.......can't believe you felt the need to explain that! :)

Next

Return to General