Crampon Fell Off - Loctite?

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
no avatar
Acumen

Crampon Fell Off - Loctite?

by Acumen » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:12 pm

I have an older pair of BD Sabretooths with toe bails. On my last trip one came loose after about 6 miles due to the heel adjustment loosening itself despite it being tight when I put them on. Luckily I was on flat ground at the time, you hear horror stories about what can happen on dangerous sections. My plan is to use some blue Loctite and set them to the boot I am currently using.

Good/bad idea? Anyone have a better solution?

pvnisher

Re: Crampon Fell Off - Loctite?

by pvnisher » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:04 pm

Has it ever happened before with that boot/crampon combo? Sometimes the bails get bent or don't fit certain boots very well. Wear of the welt is also a suspect.

no avatar
Acumen

by Acumen » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:08 pm

It definitely came off the back, when I went to put it back on the heel adjustment was so loose that it swung up without even touching the heel welt. The toe welts are mint, the toe bail engages correctly. These are fairly new boots, but it has not happened with this boot crampon combo before.

Ben Beckerich

by Ben Beckerich » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:50 am

I'd make sure you didn't strip the threads... it shouldn't even be possible for it to loosen up, if it was correctly adjusted to begin with
where am i going... and why am i in this handbasket?

Ben Beckerich

by Ben Beckerich » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:38 pm

Just saw this on Cascade.. might want to double-check that you're not having a similar failure..

http://cascadeclimbers.com/forum/ubbthr ... ost1098713
where am i going... and why am i in this handbasket?

peninsula

by peninsula » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:06 pm

Acumen wrote:I have an older pair of BD Sabretooths with toe bails. On my last trip one came loose after about 6 miles due to the heel adjustment loosening itself despite it being tight when I put them on. Luckily I was on flat ground at the time, you hear horror stories about what can happen on dangerous sections. My plan is to use some blue Loctite and set them to the boot I am currently using.

Good/bad idea? Anyone have a better solution?

I'm not familiar with your hardware, but I can tell you that Loctite can't hurt. If the threads are good, Loctite will help, but not necessarily will it stop the problem altogether. Be liberal with its use and best of luck!

Return to Gear