TWO QUESTIONS ABOUT ZION NAT'L PARK

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the great state of Utah, from the alpine peaks to the desert slots. Please post partners requests and trip plans here or in the Utah Climbing Partners section.
climbingchic

TWO QUESTIONS ABOUT ZION NAT'L PARK

by climbingchic » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:04 pm

is there snow on top of Angel's Landing and if som how much? (I'm sure there is this time of year) and then also, does anyone know if that mosquito (something) campground is open yet? i was down there last year or the year before, and it wasn't.

MoapaPk

Re: TWO QUESTIONS ABOUT ZION NAT'L PARK

by MoapaPk » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:25 pm

http://www.alltravelcams.com/zion_natio ... heatre.php

http://www.nps.gov/zion/photosmultimedia/webcams.htm

Didn't mean to be so terse-- the cams mainly point at he southern slopes of peaks, but peaks that are about 1000' higher than Angel's Landing.

If you call the rangers at Zion, they will usually be honest about the routes.

Join this group and ask questions:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Zion_Nati ... rk_Hiking/

climbingtrash

by climbingtrash » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:07 am

Calling the Park would be your best bet for info on the conditions of the Angels Landing trail. As for the Mosquito Cove campground, I believe the BLM shut it down permanently a couple of years ago.

climbingchic

by climbingchic » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:15 pm

Thanks guys! I emailed the park and got a reply. I hate the fact that there's no more free camping down in St. George. Well, I do know of a few spots but it's not the same anymore. :( oh and I didn't think you were terse, Moapapk. :)

jackstraw0083

by jackstraw0083 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:08 pm

If you're looking for free camping in that area I recommend checking out spots up in the National Forest just out of Leeds. It's takes about the same amount of time to get to Zion from there as it does from St. George, if not a bit less (30 mins or so).

If you get off I-15 in Leeds, follow the road west for a few miles through some residential areas until you reach the National Forest boundary. There are several very very nice camping spots just off of this road, some of which have beautiful overlooks of the valley below. The surrounding area is beautiful and is worthy of exploration on its own.

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:40 am

Dixie National Forest has a great campground located in the Pine Valley Mountains Recreation Area.

I checked it out one time, and somebody almost stole my site before I could (even) turn around to pitch my pup tent ... bastards ..... :D
"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

climbingchic

by climbingchic » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:28 pm

Jackstraw - I'm looking at mapquest and see that I'd be along hwy 9 but do you know what road exactly I'd be turning off for the free camping? I haven't taken the Leeds exit in years and want to find these spots. I've always taken the toquerville exit and driven to the mosquito camp area. If you can, will you give me the exact directions? or at least landmarks? thanks.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:12 pm

Angel's Landing is effectively clear at this time. Currently very little snow in the lower parts of Zion.

I think Pine Creek is way out of the way to Zion. Check Oak Grove if you want to go that route.

Remember, you can usually camp for free (primitive camp) on BLM land , but NOT on national park land.

climbingchic

by climbingchic » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:28 pm

Thanks Jackstraw! I camped one night outside Leeds. Didnt even know that area was there. Nice to know there is still free camping somewhere!

Return to Utah