WM Sleeping bag advice

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
no avatar
hardlyboring

WM Sleeping bag advice

by hardlyboring » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:46 pm

I am going to be getting a Western Mountaineering Kodiak soon and wanted some advice on whether or not I should be get the long version or not.
Bag will be used for an all purpose 4 season sleep solution. I am 6ft tall and weight around 160-165 lbs depending on the season. I am getting the Kodiak for the extra room so that if I want to use it in sub zero temps or as an expedition bag I can layer inside and still have enough room to be comfortable if I am spending a lot of time in the bag.

Is their any reason I should not get the long version and just use the extra space on the bottom to stuff clothing etc.?
Anyone have experience with WM bags that is similar to my size?

Thanks

no avatar
hardlyboring

Re: WM Sleeping bag advice

by hardlyboring » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:33 am

Thanks Chief!

Burchey

by Burchey » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:05 am

I have two WM bags, and love them. However, you might be doing yourself a disservice with the wide cut of the Kodiak. Have you considered FF or another brand with a more narrow cut? I know you want the option to layer, but that's a lot of room for a guy with your frame. Keep in mind, I think the long on the Kodiak is made for 7 footers as well.

I'm 6'2", and have the long version of the Antelope. I have plenty of room for clothes/etc in the bottom, and make great use of this method.

no avatar
hardlyboring

by hardlyboring » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:03 am

Schteinpull
The Kodiak is wide and that is exactly why I am buying it. If it is warmer I can move the down around or just use it as a quilt and if it gets colder I can just layer up. I have a bunch of normal bags and find them all somewhat restrictive when zipped all the way up. I doubt I will encounter temps ... even on winter camps in the states that will be to close or below zero which is when the bigger bag could be a problem because of dead air space. In those cases I would just wear my light down jacket and light down pants inside the bag anyway if need be.

I would rather have it be a little big to have more room than normal size ... this way if I have to change clothes inside (or zip my wife in in an emergency) I can. I am mainly concerned about whether getting the long version is good or not.
They have 3 lengths 6 ft, 6'6", and 7ft.

divnamite

by divnamite » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:42 pm

Assuming you are getting the 6'6 version. At your weight (160-165), there is quite a bit of room for you in the Kodiak. I guess if you are set on Kodiak, then you should go for the 6'6 version.

IMO, 0 degree is not a all-purpose 4 season sleeping bag at all.

no avatar
hardlyboring

by hardlyboring » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:50 pm

Divnamite
what would you recommend?

Burchey

by Burchey » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:05 pm

Hey Hardly,

I'm from Ohio. You going to winter-camp there? It gets crazy cold! =)

Seriously though, I've had my 5 degree Antelope way lower than that, we woke up to minus 7 in Sequoia several weeks ago. I guess it depends on where you'll be going/how high. If you plan to stuff everything you own in there with you, only then would I suggest the 7 footer Kodiak for your frame size.

I ran the larger cut Big Agnes bags for a while, and although it was great having the room, I had trouble keeping all that space warm. IMO, if it's big enough to change clothes in, it's too big.

I agree with Div - go with the 6'6" Kodiak if you go that route. You'll love WM bags.

asmrz

by asmrz » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:09 pm

Just a note, the 6' or 6'6" bag length is measured from the top of the chest to one's toes by SOME manufacturers. It is not simply end to end measurement. The sizing is really strange in this industry. Check with WM, you might not need the long bag...

divnamite

by divnamite » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:35 pm

Do you sleep hot or cold? Do you sweat easily when it gets hot?

I would recommend any WM bags without hesitation. Same goes for FF and Montbell bags.
* WM and FF bags usually go lower than the rating.
* 0 degree WM bag is too warm for anything but the coldest nights in normal usage.
* 0 degree bag is too heavy for most hiking and climbing trip.

Again, I don't think you'll ever regret buying a WM product. Just a matter of how much use you gonna get out of it. I would consider something in the 10-15 degree range. Combine with your clothes, a hot water bottle in the bottom of the bag. With a decent tent, you should handle sub zero temp without any problem. 10-15 also allow to use it for late fall, mild winter, and early spring without additional clothes.

no avatar
hardlyboring

by hardlyboring » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:43 pm

We do not do much winter camping in ohio but we do travel quite a bit in the states and are going to be moving to CO this year.
Just got done trekking in Nepal and I found that after spending A LOT of time in your sleeping bag it is somewhat beneficial to have one that actually has some room to move around and not be totally crammed into.
Like you said the Antelope has gone way lower than 5 deg and if you are camping and it is 5 deg you are most likely going to have some other stuff with you.

I def am not getting the 7 foot bag that is for sure.
Either the 6 or the 6'6 bag... Most of my bags have been long but I do not have any experience with WM bags so I am not sure if they run true to size or long or short.

Divnamite: Depends really on what I am eating etc. I am the type of person that does need a little extra insulation because at 6ft and 160 lbs I do not have much of my own insulation to help me out. From the experience I have and from the trekking I have done in sub zero temps I would say that the 0 deg bag should suit me well for just about everything but the most extreme cold nights.

I have looked at 10-15 deg bags from WM but keep going back to the 0deg Kodiak because it has that little bit of extra insulation that will be nice if it does get cold and I have not eaten well.

asmrz

by asmrz » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:53 pm

Regarding the ratings,

I think sooner or later, one will end up with at least three bags. 1. Summer, very light 30-20 degrees. 2. Shoulder seasons, 10-15 degrees. 3. Winter bag -5 to -20, sleep anywhere bag. Some people might add something to go high in winter (above 6,000 meters) -40 bag. One bag will not do it all. If you are new to this activity, buy something that fits most of your trips today, later you will buy bags for specific situations.
Last edited by asmrz on Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Burchey

by Burchey » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:58 pm

Moving to CO from Ohio = smart move.

FWIW - I'm 6'2", broad shoulders, 195 pounds. The Antelope long fits me perfectly. The summerlite long is a tad snug. As you know, the Kodiak is a roomier cut than the Antelope.

Have you given consideration to the fabric as well? I went with the Gore, but for the most part I think I could have gotten away with the more breathable MF shell. Only once/twice have I been glad to have the burlier material, and I get into some cold winter stuff. I have the MF material on my old Meltdown jacket, and when I try to wash it in the tub, I have to FORCE the water to go into the material.

asmrz

by asmrz » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:23 pm

Good point, the WM bags are at least 5 degrees warmer than their rating. Much warmer than most other manufacturers without overfill...

divnamite

by divnamite » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:47 pm

I have several bags, and I use my 0 deg bag the least. If your past experience shows that a 0 deg fits your requirement, then by all means, go for the Kodiak, I would pick MF over the Gore.

I personally would pick Antelope over Kodiak or even Apache over the Kodiak. With the weight saving, you can add down pants to the mix and keep you a lot warmer.

no avatar
hardlyboring

by hardlyboring » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:16 pm

I have not given much thought to the GWS lining because i doubt I will be in a situation where I will need it. The MF is really nice stuff and short of actually get rain on the bag I think GWS is to much.

We are looking forward to moving to CO! I hope to be doing a lot of winter 14'ers and possibly skiing down. Ohio lacks in things to do outside :(

Next

Return to Gear