40th Anniv. of 'Dark Side'

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
Kiefer

40th Anniv. of 'Dark Side'

by Kiefer » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:23 pm

I can't believe its been 40 years since Dark Side of the Moon was released! The album is just as new now as it was 30 years ago
when I first heard it. I remember listening to the likes of Billy Joel, Gordon Lightfoot & Jim Croce before I first heard "Mother" back
in the summer of 1983. It was so unlike ANYTHING I had heard before.
Yahoo ACTUALLY has a decent article on the album.
Now, I believe I have close to 56 albums (including bootlegs), some old copies of the Amazing Pudding and a few LP's (the youngsters
won't know what those are!) :wink: on coloured vinyl from Russia and France.
I remember a few years back, I sold a Roger Waters album, "Amused to Death" on E-bay for $365.

Pink Floyd changed what I thought I knew of music.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjfc92xm7RE[/youtube]

The following user would like to thank Kiefer for this post
attimount, boyblue, lcarreau, Marcsoltan, MarkDidier, TimB

mountainsandsound

Re: 40th Anniv. of 'Dark Side'

by mountainsandsound » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:19 pm

I'm listening to "Animals" right now as I grade papers and waste time on the internet machine.

boyblue

by boyblue » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:25 pm

I saw Pink Floyd in Sept, 1972 at Winterland in SF when I was 17. It was the first leg (pre-release of the album) of the Dark Side of the Moon tour. I read many years later that they pre-toured the unreleased album to serve as a rehearsal for the recording studio.

I don't think they were very well known in America since the show was far from sold out. There was even enough room on the floor in the middle of the venue to sit and stretch our legs in front of us while becoming immersed in their famous 360' sound system.

Along with many of their familiar songs, they played all the songs from DSOM which non of us had ever heard before. We knew, based on ours and the rest of the audiences reactions that DSOM would be a smash.

BTW, the ticket price was $4.50 per person general admission. Sick, huh? :D

I gotta say that that was probably one of the most incredible non-mountain related experiences of my life. :)

mountainsandsound

by mountainsandsound » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:14 pm

I don't like to bring music into the mountains, but if I did I would bring some Floyd. I do however bring music for the drive to the trailhead. I have a vivid memory of driving straight from work on a Friday night with a couple friends to a trailhead in North Cascades NP. It was night and we pulled over at some point to take a leak, and wandered a few steps into the woods. We had the doors open and the "Meddle" album was blasting. "Echoes" was playing, right at the part in the song where things get really weird. The effect of the synthesizer screaming through the forest at night was eerie- we kind of freaked out about it and we weren't even under the influence. Hard to explain but if you know the album I think you'd understand.

MarkDidier

by MarkDidier » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:13 am

Certain songs will forever remind me of road trips to the mountains. "Us and Them" would be one...

My nephew and I were on one of our all night drives to the Smokies. My nephew was driving and I was sleeping in the back of the van. When I woke up - in the dark - somewhere in the middle of Kentucky - Dave had Dark Side in the CD player, and Us and Them was playing. It's amazing...everytime I hear the start of that song I instantly think mountains! I can't help but smile.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcG47CpsU6c[/youtube]

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:09 am

Even if you don't eat meat, gotta love the Floyd ... I was especially fond of their first two albums, back in the day ... doesn't seem like forty years ago though ..

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmgCBOEW-j8[/youtube]
"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

Kiefer

by Kiefer » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:37 am

Awwww, Syn Barrett. :cry: One of music's greatest tragedies. I recently heard that he passed away at his mom & dad's house.
His parents had to take care of him later in life due to the fact that he fried his brain in the mid-60's and 70's on LSD.

I can see Beetlejuice grooving to an afterlife supergroup of: Janis Joplin, Syn Barrett, Jimi Hendrix, John Bonham and Ian Curtis.

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:19 am

Kiefer Thomas wrote:

I can see Beetlejuice grooving to an afterlife supergroup of: Janis Joplin, Syn Barrett, Jimi Hendrix, John Bonham and Ian Curtis.

And, let's not forget Ronnie James Dio and Jack the Ripper ... :wink:

Bill Reed

by Bill Reed » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:07 pm

Love the Floyd also, Keifer!

Was fortunate to see them at a small venue in 1970, before they got big but after they got rid of Syd. Pretty crazy stuff back then. One of the advantages of being an "old fart" I guess.

Lots of road trip memories also, Mark, with the most powerful for me being of "Wish You Were Here" on the road from Shoshone to Thermopolis, Wyo through the Wind River Canyon. Flashback to it every time I hear it.

TimB

by TimB » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:45 am

Kiefer Thomas wrote:I can't believe its been 40 years since Dark Side of the Moon was released! The album is just as new now as it was 30 years ago
when I first heard it. I remember listening to the likes of Billy Joel, Gordon Lightfoot & Jim Croce before I first heard "Mother" back
in the summer of 1983. It was so unlike ANYTHING I had heard before.
Yahoo ACTUALLY has a decent article on the album.
Now, I believe I have close to 56 albums (including bootlegs), some old copies of the Amazing Pudding and a few LP's (the youngsters
won't know what those are!) :wink: on coloured vinyl from Russia and France.
I remember a few years back, I sold a Roger Waters album, "Amused to Death" on E-bay for $365.

Pink Floyd changed what I thought I knew of music.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjfc92xm7RE[/youtube]

I have always liked Pink Floyd. My favorite album of theirs is "Momentary Lapse of Reason". Sort of a 'sleeper' IMO.

Also, you got 365 bucks for "Amused to Death"? Wow... :o

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:41 am

The following user would like to thank lcarreau for this post
TimB

Return to General