Mt Rysy in Poland

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
shaunparr1984

Mt Rysy in Poland

by shaunparr1984 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:45 pm

Hi,

Has anybody here hiked up Mt Rysy in Poland before?

We're looking to go at the end of may however I just need to clarify how to actually get to the main trail.

I understand that the trail starts at Morskie Oko but I need to know the best way to get to there as it seems that vehicles only go so far?

If anyone has been before and could provide any help with the logistics of this, either on here or by email: portvale_fc@hotmail.com, it woukd be massively appreciated!

Cheers.

yatsek

Re: Mt Rysy in Poland

by yatsek » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:21 pm

See here. In May an ice-axe and crampons (and the skills of using them) will be necessary.

Andrew Rankine

by Andrew Rankine » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:27 pm

I have climbed Rysy, but starting from the Slovak side. From what I understand it is much easier. The trailhead in in Strbske Pleso (just start in the town), and there is a paved road to it...there is even a train to it. You might even be able to drive to Popradske Pleso, which is also a paved road.

Here is my TR from last year (on May 26): http://adventuretraveling.wordpress.com/2012/06/01/climbing-rysy/

yatsek

by yatsek » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:55 am

no avatar
hamwam

by hamwam » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:52 pm

I am planning to climb Rysy from the Polish side and want to know what the summer conditions are like on the ridge running SE from the summit towards Ganek and Gerlachovsky Stit...are there any sections along here that need ropes? Not much in the guide books....just a good scramble?

Proterra

by Proterra » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:22 am

shaunparr1984 wrote:Hi,

Hey,

shaunparr1984 wrote:Has anybody here hiked up Mt Rysy in Poland before?

Yes.

shaunparr1984 wrote:We're looking to go at the end of may however I just need to clarify how to actually get to the main trail.

Plane to Krakow, bus 292, 208 or airport train to the railway station, then train or bus to Zakopane (train is nicer, bus is much faster), spend the night in Zakopane, take minibus to the parking lot for Morskie Oko (or better option, if you're early enough, take minibus to parking lot, walk the trail and spend night at Morskie Oko)

shaunparr1984 wrote:I understand that the trail starts at Morskie Oko but I need to know the best way to get to there as it seems that vehicles only go so far?

Yup, unless you have special permission from TPN (which tourists usually don't get) you have to walk the last seven kilometres to Morskie Oko. Also, see Yatsek's advice, you need to be proficient with ice axe and crampons going up there in May.

shaunparr1984 wrote:If anyone has been before and could provide any help with the logistics of this, either on here or by email: portvale_fc@hotmail.com, it woukd be massively appreciated!

Cheers.

Or send me pm. My fiancee is góralka, and I'm around there on a weekly basis.

hamwam wrote:I am planning to climb Rysy from the Polish side and want to know what the summer conditions are like on the ridge running SE from the summit towards Ganek and Gerlachovsky Stit...are there any sections along here that need ropes? Not much in the guide books....just a good scramble?

Not much in the guidebooks because unless you're a member of a national alpine association, anything higher than Rysy is off-limits in Slovakia without the use of a guide, and so is anything that doesn't require ropes. Guides and ranger are allowed to enforce this rule.

Andrew Rankine wrote:I have climbed Rysy, but starting from the Slovak side. From what I understand it is much easier. The trailhead in in Strbske Pleso (just start in the town), and there is a paved road to it...there is even a train to it. You might even be able to drive to Popradske Pleso, which is also a paved road.

Here is my TR from last year (on May 26): http://adventuretraveling.wordpress.com/2012/06/01/climbing-rysy/

The car park is at the railway station of Popradske Pleso, which is a 45-minute hike from Popradske Pleso (at 1500 metres) proper. If you stay at the hotel or at the Majlathova Chata on Popradske Pleso, you can get a special permit for 7 euro per day, which allows you to drive your vehicle up to the 1500 metre point. You have to sort this ahead of time, give car information and print out your permit. Otherwise, you need to leave your vehicle at the car park at 1240 metres, and walk the road to Popradske Pleso. If you stay at Popradske Pleso, I'd recommend Majlathova Chata, it smaller (will only sleep 14) and more expensive (25 euro/night instead of 14-28) but much cosier and they have better food. The mountain hotel still has all it's facilities available if you need any.

From 15. June until the last weekend of October, there is also the possibility to stay at Chata pod Rysmi, with 2200 meters the highest place in Central Europe to stay outside of the Alps. The corrie below their outhouse has at least two shades of greener grass than the surrounding area... :mrgreen:
I have as much authority as the Pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it.

Proterra

by Proterra » Sun May 05, 2013 4:48 pm

Was on Morskie Oko today, and the mountain seems to have lost a huge amount of snow/ice in the last two weeks with all the rain and high temperatures we've had. Although I haven't been up, as I was on my bike, I highly doubt there is any snow or ice below 1 800 metres, and if this weather continues for two or three weeks, I expect the mountain to be largely ice-free by the end of the month, save for maybe a patch or two. Crampons might still be useful, but I doubt an ice axe will be necessary if the weather continues into May like it was so far.

Two weeks ago there were still patches of snow as low as Głodówka, at 1 150 metres, just to give an idea how fast it's going...
I have as much authority as the Pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it.

yatsek

by yatsek » Mon May 20, 2013 7:38 pm

A 46-year-old woman found dead on the route last Sunday. Probably slipped on snow/ice: more info in Polish.

Wiktoria Plawska

by Wiktoria Plawska » Tue May 21, 2013 2:52 am

I climbed there before, and last year in that area because the trail was closed. Just go up to the Morskie Oko (lake) shelter using a paved road, on foot or horse carriage, then go around the lake, stay left, go to the second lake, and stay left.

Proterra

by Proterra » Wed May 22, 2013 5:47 am

I'll be there probably next weekend or the weekend after again. Of course, from my window the mountains are still some 25-30 kilometres away, but I can still see patches of snow. I think the snow line right now is up to 2 000 - 2 200 metres, and it's not cleaning out as fast anymore as during the beginning of the month.

As far as I know, Tomek Lodowy is guiding tourists there now every weekend, so he ought to have a better understanding of the conditions on the actual trails at the moment...

Return to Europe