SPOT Connect Satellite GPS Tracker for your Smartphone

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
no avatar
GodZirra

SPOT Connect Satellite GPS Tracker for your Smartphone

by GodZirra » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:53 am

Hey I'm curious if anyone owns the SPOT Connect GPS tracker. Safety has always been a high priority and I would like to know if the SPOT Connect is worth the investment. My family enjoys to go skiing and snowboarding and most of the time there's horrible cellular reception. How reliable is the device and does it work the way they advertise? I found it through the link on here http://www.wayved.com/. Thanks.

ChristopherFranklin

Re: SPOT Connect Satellite GPS Tracker for your Smartphone

by ChristopherFranklin » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:04 pm

Sounds more like a plug than a question.

sharperblue

by sharperblue » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:16 pm

I have used one (V.2) for about 3.5 years with near perfect results; failures to transmit are perhaps 5%, although a few weeks ago I experienced two failures in a row testing from downtown SF; later tests were all 100% successful. I've used mine in Washington State, Sierra Nevada, and South America. In this regard: would recommend strongly.

See another recent thread for the parent company's shitty tactics in erasing complaints and ignoring customers though; that's a different bag altogether, and if i were purchasing one today, i would very likely consider a different product/company; being treated shabbily shouldn't be rewarded with more new business, so bottom line: NO

(are you listening, General Motors/Motorola/HP/Dell/BankofAmerica - ? etc etc)

peninsula

by peninsula » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:38 pm

A new alternative! Very interesting technology, check it out: http://theadventureblog.blogspot.com/20 ... turns.html

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:38 pm

SPOT has recently been much better, and the reps have taken to contacting me. I guess the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Return to Gear