Climbing Mountains/Dating Women, are they one and the same?

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
MichaelRyanSD

Climbing Mountains/Dating Women, are they one and the same?

by MichaelRyanSD » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:10 am

I'm curious if any other man suffers from the same syndrome I'm currently experiencing (or women for that matter). I've noticed parallels in both my mountain climbing adventures and the women I've dated. When it comes to climbing, I develop an infatuation with a climb that I haven't done before, and it won't go away till I summit, yes I'm most interested in peaks with some sort of notoriety or mystique about them (we'll call them the 8's, 9's and 10's, aka Denali, Mont Blanc, Whitney, AKA the pretty girls), but do climb other lesser mountains from time to time (the 6's and 7's AKA the challenging local climbs) Anything 5 and under I don't bother with (ie hills, bridges,etc). But once I've climbed a mountain, especially one that I've been preparing for and thinking about for a long time, I lose my interest in it, not to say I won't climb it again, just that, its lost its luster to me.

When it comes to women, especially ones that are that rare personality and looks combination, they are all I can think about when we are dating, I actually can't think straight sometimes just thinking about that girl. I'll tell all my friends how great she is, I'll even look at her FB every so often to check out pictures of her. But once, how should I say, "summited" with her, its like a switch flips in my head, and while I'm still interested in her, its like the mountains I've already climbed, yeah I'll probably climb them again, but they've lost that luster they once had. I'm already planning ahead to the next one.

Now the really kicker is, just like whenever someone says "Yeah you climbed mountain "x", which is great, but have you done it during the winter, or done this route" it renews my interest in it again, simply for the challenge. When a girl I've dated losses interest in me, even though I was already thinking about other girls, the fact that she lost interest in me sort of challenges me again and shes all I can think about.

I don't know if I'm crazy or if I should post this in mountain medicine. By the way, this is a semi-joking/semi-serious thread, just trying to liven things up around here
Last edited by MichaelRyanSD on Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

The following user would like to thank MichaelRyanSD for this post
skyward22

mrchad9

Re: My peakbagging has started to apply to women

by mrchad9 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:14 am

Have you met Daria?

MichaelRyanSD

Re: Climbing Mountains/Dating Women, are they one and the sa

by MichaelRyanSD » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:17 am

Should I have?

radson

by radson » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:26 am

My first thought

The somatic narcissist derives narcissistic supply from other people’s reactions to his body: sexual conquests, bodybuilding, athletic prowess, competence in outdoor activities, or mere preening and titivating.He indiscriminately engages in sex with multiple partners. His sex partners are considered by him to be objects - sources of Narcissistic Supply. It is through the processes of successful seduction and sexual conquest that the narcissist derives his badly needed narcissistic "fix".

The following user would like to thank radson for this post
WillP

Ben Beckerich

by Ben Beckerich » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:21 am

What was your father like? Did you get picked on, or were you poorer or less athletic than other kids, or did you have any delayed development issues academically in your early elementary years?

If you've never done it, google "superiority complex." You'll probably learn some interesting things about yourself.
where am i going... and why am i in this handbasket?

Sarah Simon

by Sarah Simon » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:40 pm

MichaelRyanSD: Maybe you should try buttering your toast on the other side, so to speak, if you're unable to stay focused on the Other Kind.

Thoughts?
Go climb a mountain

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:41 pm

You think his fella is gay?

Or just trying to do the women out there a favor?

Sarah Simon

by Sarah Simon » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:54 pm

Hello? God's gift to women, is that you??? Chad, are you there?
Go climb a mountain

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:57 pm

MichaelRyanSD wrote:By the way, this is a semi-joking/semi-serious thread, just trying to liven things up around here

'Semi-joking: 99%, semi-serious: 1%.......? Semi-strange: 100%

nartreb

by nartreb » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:03 pm

just like whenever someone says "Yeah you climbed mountain "x", which is great, but have you done it during the winter, or done this route

That's the problem with so many peak baggers. In such a hurry to get to the top. Take your time and try all routes once you've done the approach, I always say.

Tonka

by Tonka » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:39 pm

I think your young and too worried about getting laid. Don't create a problem where one does not exist cause soon you won't be able to get it up and then you'll have more time to get up.... that hill.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:46 pm

Sarah Simon wrote:Hello? God's gift to women, is that you??? Chad, are you there?

My gift to women is me hanging out with a teddy bear.

Sarah Simon

by Sarah Simon » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:19 pm

Tonka wrote:I think your young and too worried about getting laid. Don't create a problem where one does not exist cause soon you won't be able to get it up and then you'll have more time to get up.... that hill.

Spoken...from experience? 8) Climb on, Tonka, climb on...
Go climb a mountain

Sarah Simon

by Sarah Simon » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:23 pm

mrchad9 - I've ordered that "MacDaddy4U" t-shirt and shipped it to your home in CA. You'll have to order your own California vanity plates reading GG2W, tho, I can't do that for you.
Go climb a mountain

MichaelRyanSD

by MichaelRyanSD » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:25 pm

To be fair, I grew up my whole life in San Diego, so maybe that explains part of it lol.

And no, I only butter one side.

Next

Return to General