Small Additions for SummitPost

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.
Josh Lewis

Small Additions for SummitPost

by Josh Lewis » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:47 am

This thread is for small additions for SummitPost. Whether it be something displaying where it shouldn't be, or a cute little addition.

I'll start out:

1. Images should not be able to be under construction. That's just silly. :wink:

2. When editing an image page it offers to swap editors. But it doesn't really do anything. :P So if were not going to have the new editor for image pages, that notice should be removed.

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

Re: Small Additions for SummitPost

by Bob Sihler » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:08 am

If possible, please fix the new editor so that SP images are selected by default. The current mode discourages me from using the new editor because it adds an extra step.

Also, is it possible to fix it so that when we select a photo, the image caption does not appear as well? I find myself deleting a lot of text from captions because of this.

I have to say I like the text features of the new editor much better than those of the old one but find the photo part more tedious. Actually, I usually switch to the old editor when it comes time for the photo layout.
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)

The following user would like to thank Bob Sihler for this post
Josh Lewis, Matt Lemke

Josh Lewis

by Josh Lewis » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:44 am

I'll echo what Bob said. Bob is talking about when clicking the insert image button you have to swap from "New" to "Search SP Images". A few seconds? Until the clicks add up. And trust me, they do.

So here's my proposal, make a little checkbox that is dedicated to "title" and perhaps another one for "description" which inserts the title or description when checked after clicking the insert button (or before if it's easier).

Here's a mock up of it with a checkbox (minus the old styling)

Also one last important note. We miss these few nice things about the old editor:

what we miss.png
what we miss.png (175.37 KiB) Viewed 7049 times

If these few additions were added, the new editor would be a lot nicer to work with when it comes to images.

Gangolf Haub
Forum Moderator

by Gangolf Haub » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:03 am

Same here - I'm using the old editor because of formatting and I never use the inbuilt image upload option. Just doesn't work for me or the way I'm working with SP. Which goes like this:

- upload all the images through "create image", each on a new tab
- copy preconfigured html-snippets for medium centered image, table of three centred small images, sliding pano into the text
- exchange image numbers by copying from the browser image tabs into the code

Takes little more than 15 minutes, actually writing the captions while uploading takes most time.

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:55 pm

Montana Matt wrote:Why not start this thread where all users can chime in?

Moved.
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)

ZeeJay
Forum Moderator

by ZeeJay » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:49 pm

I previously suggested this on the summitpost suggestion page but it didn't get any votes. I too find inserting existing images tedious with the new editor, but otherwise the editor is great. When I insert an image I have to do the following steps.

Click insert image
Click Search SP images
Click my images only
Click newest first
Click Search
Search through images and then click select
Click insert
Delete default caption
Type in the caption I want

What I'd like to do is

Click insert image
Type in an image # into a box
Press the Enter key (much easier than moving cursor and clicking)

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:06 pm

Bob Sihler wrote:
Montana Matt wrote:Why not start this thread where all users can chime in?

Moved.

Now everyone knows how exciting our private discussions are.

Josh Lewis

by Josh Lewis » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:47 am

mrchad9 wrote:Now everyone knows how exciting our private discussions are.

Especially when new features come out as a result of them. :) I personally believe it is exciting when things are easier to manage and time is saved for a lot people. That is part of the intentions of the new editor is it not?

The fun zone is off route. :wink:

surgent

by surgent » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:56 am

The primary image for any page should have the citation (who took it) underneath it. I sometimes use another contributor's image for a mountain page because it's better than anything I took.

Josh Lewis

by Josh Lewis » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:08 am

While I always prefer to get credit for my work, a citation is not needed for the primary image considering that it links right back to the original poster. Top 14 images of a page don't get a citation, only the author(s) of the page get a citation. Curious folks will check the original. And besides, it's only a thumbnail that acts as the primary image. I've had folks use my images for the primary image of their pages which I felt zero need for my name to appear on that page.

Matt Lemke

by Matt Lemke » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:41 am

I really like having the caption automatically entered when inserting photos into a page however I agree the "Search SP Images" should be defaulted. I also would like to see tables when inserted into a page defaulted to center rather than left.

Josh Lewis

by Josh Lewis » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:41 am

Matt Lemke wrote:I really like having the caption automatically entered when inserting photos into a page

Problem is that commonly the caption in the photo poorly translates onto the page. For example, I commonly write "Taken on Mount Rainier on July 8, 2012" or something like that. Dates can appear on captions, but the viewer already knows that your trip called "hiking up Rainier" is on Rainier hence the first part of the caption is wasted words. As a result I would have to remove the text.

rgg
Forum Moderator

by rgg » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:57 pm

ZeeJay wrote:I previously suggested this on the summitpost suggestion page but it didn't get any votes. I too find inserting existing images tedious with the new editor, but otherwise the editor is great. When I insert an image I have to do the following steps.

Click insert image
Click Search SP images
Click my images only
Click newest first
Click Search
Search through images and then click select
Click insert
Delete default caption

What I'd like to do is

Click insert image
Type in an image # into a box
Press the Enter key (much easier than moving cursor and clicking)

If you already know the image # that you want to use, you can enter it directly as the search criterion. I do that regularly. The procedure then becomes

Click insert image
Click Search SP images
Enter the image #
Click Search
No browsing needed, just select the one and only image
Click insert
Delete default caption
Type in the caption you want

This works pretty fast, especially because having only one image eliminates the need to browse.

The following user would like to thank rgg for this post
ZeeJay

Josh Lewis

by Josh Lewis » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:44 am

rgg wrote:This works pretty fast, especially because having only one image eliminates the need to browse.

For a single image that is. Many of us work with lots of pictures. As a result the old editor is still easier to work with.

ZeeJay
Forum Moderator

by ZeeJay » Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:36 pm

rgg wrote:If you already know the image # that you want to use, you can enter it directly as the search criterion. I do that regularly. The procedure then becomes

Click insert image
Click Search SP images
Enter the image #
Click Search
No browsing needed, just select the one and only image
Click insert
Delete default caption
Type in the caption you want

This works pretty fast, especially because having only one image eliminates the need to browse.

Thank you, that helps a lot, but you missed a step. You need to click select before click insert.

The process could still be improved though. There are a lot of steps that could be eliminated.

Next

Return to Site Feedback