Recommend Heli Service

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Canada and Alaska. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Canada and Alaska Climbing Partners forum.
Ben Beckerich

Recommend Heli Service

by Ben Beckerich » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:07 am

Howdy

Looking for prices on heli-taxi service for a climb or three in the Canadian Rockies, Mt. Alberta and friends. Anybody have any good recommendations? Price wins the day.. shady/drunk pilots of questionable licensing status perfectly welcome (and I'm only half kidding).

Thanks,

-Ben
where am i going... and why am i in this handbasket?

Josh Lewis

Re: Recommend Heli Service

by Josh Lewis » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:24 am

Ben Beckerich wrote:Price wins the day.. shady/drunk pilots of questionable licensing status perfectly welcome

Be careful for what you wish for. The last time I hired a drunken heli pilot he accidentally left his cigarette lighter in the fuel tank. That's why I listed in on sale:

Dow Williams

by Dow Williams » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:32 pm

If you are bagging peaks like Mount Alberta with a helicopter, who cares what it cost in $$$? Pride is already lost.

The following user would like to thank Dow Williams for this post
Kahuna

Matt Lemke

by Matt Lemke » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:16 pm

Yeah I don't get it...there is a highway like 6 miles east. That Wooley approach is probably half the fun anyways

Ben Beckerich

by Ben Beckerich » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:37 pm

Matt Lemke wrote:Yeah I don't get it...there is a highway like 6 miles east. That Wooley approach is probably half the fun anyways

I don't get why you think you should get it... you're lacking all of the details and intent of our trip, so there's absolutely no expectation of you having any ability to "get" anything.

Odd response, from the two of you.

Whatever the case... I'll take that as three "sorry, no"s. Anybody else?

no avatar
Kahuna

by Kahuna » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:47 am

... you're lacking all of the details and intent of our trip, so there's absolutely no expectation of you having any ability to "get" anything.

By all means, do fill us in on the details/intent of your trip which requires the utilization of a helo.

I am very interested to say the least.

Ben Beckerich

by Ben Beckerich » Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:12 am

Kahuna wrote:
... you're lacking all of the details and intent of our trip, so there's absolutely no expectation of you having any ability to "get" anything.

By all means, do fill us in on the details/intent of your trip which requires the utilization of a helo.

I am very interested to say the least.

No, I'm totally good not giving a shit about your assumptions. For real. The above was in response to a comment, wasn't any kind of defense. You can think I'm just a lazy, overpaid, tourist peak-bagger if that gives you 30 seconds of gratifying contempt this afternoon.

no avatar
Kahuna

by Kahuna » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:30 pm

Ben Beckerich wrote:No, I'm totally good not giving a shit about your assumptions. For real. The above was in response to a comment, wasn't any kind of defense. You can think I'm just a lazy, overpaid, tourist peak-bagger if that gives you 30 seconds of gratifying contempt this afternoon.

Um, feeling a tad bit guilty are we.

Got it.

Thanks.

Dow Williams

by Dow Williams » Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:34 pm

To answer your question, helicopters for hire are a dime a dozen in the Canadian Rockies. Just google it. But for those of you who are use to cheating up Robson and/or Assiniboine...those mts are in or bordered by provincial parks. Once you are in the National Parks, Banff, Yoho, Kootenay and Jasper, your impact on the natural environment is more restricted.

POLUKO

by POLUKO » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:00 pm

Typically, a Jetranger costs about $1,000 bucks an hour. An R44 costs a little over half of that. US prices

How many guys do you have?
How much gear?
What altitude?

This will dictate what type of heli and if they need to take more than one tip.

attimount

by attimount » Sat May 04, 2013 1:38 am

Ben, I never use them, but you can try these guys http://www.alpinehelicopter.com/ from Canmore. They fly in the summer a lot, but I don't know if they will go as far as MacKay hut.

The access trail itself will bring you around beautiful panoramas, but the fun part is crossing the freezing Sunwapta river.
Good luck.

Return to Canada and Alaska