Beautiful Sierra Spring Conditions

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
Luciano136

Re: Beautiful Sierra Spring Conditions

by Luciano136 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:09 pm

Burchey wrote:Not in on the backstory - was his original neck injury from climbing?

Severe car accident.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:39 pm

Any more (discreet) info on the accident? Supertopo gives
"There were 3 reconnaissance flights in the beginning.
Then 2 flights to lower two rescue medics.
Then 1 flight to hoist the injured.
Then 2 more flights to hoist the 2 remaining rescue medics back to LZ.
Then one more flight for CHP to go back home to Sacramento ....."

And that's it so far. I'm not an ST habitue, so I won't track this. A person came out in a rescue basket, but that procedure seems to be normal, even for someone who has just sprained an ankle or awakened from a concussion.

kevin trieu

by kevin trieu » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:55 pm

ROL wrote:Geezus, all this postholing/snowshoeing nonsense. Just learn to X-C (ski) and be happy (in your work).

or skiyaking!

The following user would like to thank kevin trieu for this post
John Duffield, mrchad9

Deb

by Deb » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:36 pm

He was climbing Braille and took a lead fall; broke 3 vertebrae, According to a mutual friend.

Vitaliy M.

by Vitaliy M. » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:00 pm

Deb wrote:He was climbing Braille and took a lead fall; broke 3 vertebrae, According to a mutual friend.

Braille Book??? Must of been on Sunday or something. I did NE Buttress of Higher Cathedral (11 pitch 5.9 on the same formation as Braille Book) and Reg Route of Higher Cathedral Spire (5 pitch 5.9 right across from Braille Book) on Saturday, and didn't notice a helicopter. Maybe they flew in when we were taking an hour break on the summit of Higher Cathedral....anyway, hope he recovers quick.

Burchey

by Burchey » Wed May 01, 2013 12:26 am

Man, this poor guy can't catch a break. Hopefully it's just some minor chipping of the bone or something.

Princess Buttercup

by Princess Buttercup » Wed May 01, 2013 3:59 pm

For those interested in the northern end of the Whites:

I had patients in the northern end of Hwy 6 yesterday, so I took a chance in the afternoon to see how the Queen Mine Road was looking. Well, it's completely clear, the usual rough-stuff above the lower buildings/mine, but I was able to get the TOF to the upper mine at 9200ft without much problem. The road and trail above is also completely clear (save for exactly three rapidly melting and small drifts on the trail). A 4WD w/ clearance will definitely get you to the saddle at 9700ft without much effort.

Trail Canyon from where the Queen Mine trail crests the ridge:

Queen Canyon from the same spot:

Last time I was up here was my first trail hike after my knee surgery, and it's steep but then levels out across the ridge as you head to Trail Canyon Saddle.

Little tiny flowers are out (who knew the iPhone does a decent macro??):

Now, as for Boundary, well, it's dry. I couldn't see the final ramp to the summit, but since it's south-facing, I'd extrapolate that it's the normal sand-slog.

Gorgeous light as I headed for home.

All workouts should be this cool.

-L

The following user would like to thank Princess Buttercup for this post
artrock23, brichardsson, dskoon, Fredd C Dobbs, John Duffield, MoapaPk, mrchad9

ScottHanson

by ScottHanson » Wed May 01, 2013 5:43 pm

Laura,
You have the best job in the world. Make a few dollars in the morning, then go for a gorgeous drive on mountains roads in the afternoon. I just have one question, why doesn't everyone leave Los Angeles and move to Bishop?

Daria

by Daria » Wed May 01, 2013 7:11 pm

ScottHanson wrote:Laura,
why doesn't everyone leave Los Angeles and move to Bishop?

thats what I did :)

nice work out hike up Kid Mountain 10 minutes from where I live this Monday 4.5 hours roundtrip:

plus, I got a new hat:

Last edited by Daria on Wed May 01, 2013 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm the top troll.

The following user would like to thank Daria for this post
artrock23, John Duffield

Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Wed May 01, 2013 7:43 pm

ScottHanson wrote:I just have one question, why doesn't everyone leave Los Angeles and move to Bishop?

J O B would be the main reason for sure :).

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Wed May 01, 2013 7:59 pm

Nice hat Darija, but it looks suspiciously like that aerogel cooler.

Burchey

by Burchey » Wed May 01, 2013 8:07 pm

toxo wrote:
You have the best job in the world. Make a few dollars in the morning, then go for a gorgeous drive on mountains roads in the afternoon. I just have one question, why doesn't everyone leave Los Angeles and move to Bishop?

No science/research jobs, that's why.

There are other kinds of research jobs.

You can surf the web, researching your interwebenemies, where they worked in 2005, if they even exist, or have been to Lee Vining Canyon.

All kinds of research can be done from up there. You just have to know how to do it.

Princess Buttercup

by Princess Buttercup » Wed May 01, 2013 8:38 pm

Aw, thanks, Scott! :D Yes, I do still pinch myself every morning. My schedule isn't always so kind, as referrals come in at random and I adjust accordingly. I'm also lucky that a few bucks less here and there (like yesterday having one patient cancel and another not be at home and only working 4 hours) won't break me, and I can still pay my own bills.

Getting back into really good shape is going to be a challenge, but one to which I really look forward. I'm really fortunate and thankful that my profession allows some flexibility (like charting at home at night).

Best,
L

Burchey

by Burchey » Wed May 01, 2013 9:10 pm

toxo wrote:
Burchey wrote:
toxo wrote:

There are other kinds of research jobs.

You can surf the web, researching your interwebenemies, where they worked in 2005, if they even exist, or have been to Lee Vining Canyon.

All kinds of research can be done from up there. You just have to know how to do it.

You are right! The next R01 grant deadline is June 5th. We gotta put pen to paper ASAP, and churn out a solid proposal on interwebenemies research to finance us for five years on the Eastside. I'm putting in a 50% technician position for you. Please send me all your preliminary interwebenemies data by Friday.

I'm close friends with a Mod at ST, and he says I'll NEVER get that position.

Out!

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Wed May 01, 2013 11:58 pm

toxo wrote:

No research jobs that require you to work in sophisticated biochem lab. But if you are the person who processes and models the data, you can be a long way from the lab, as long as you have internet access.

The bigger problem is that you have to attend a lot of conferences each year to learn stuff long before it hits the journals, and to schmooze with the folks who will likely be reviewing your papers and proposals. And you need to check the lab work to verify it matches slightly with what you suggested in your proposal. So you need easy access to cheap plane flights, or you need to love driving a car 250 miles or so to a big city.

The following user would like to thank MoapaPk for this post
Burchey

PreviousNext

Return to California