Manhunt on the Lost Coast

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
mrchad9

Manhunt on the Lost Coast

by mrchad9 » Fri May 10, 2013 5:59 pm

Bizzare... this isn't in the news media here at all. When the same happened in LA it was a national event with $1 million rewards and exploding cabins. Here we have nothing but the local crew from Petrolia running around... since Tuesday!

CRIME/INCIDENT: Triple homicide
VICTIM(S):
Sandy Miller, wife, 34 years old
Shelby Miller, daughter, 8 years old
Shasta Miller, daughter, 4 years old

SUSPECT(S): Shane Franklin Miller, white male, red hair, blue eyes, 5’10”, 200 pounds, DOB 05/08/1968, 45 years of age

SYNOPSIS:
Shane Franklin Miller is a suspect in the triple homicide of his wife and two daughters. Miller is considered armed and dangerous, possibly having access to a cache of weapons. Sheriff’s Officials are pursuing leads in the Northern California Region, a nationwide manhunt bulletin has been issued.

http://lostcoastoutpost.com/2013/may/8/ ... le-murder/

Found his vehicle Wednesday:
http://lostcoastoutpost.com/2013/may/8/ ... uth-matto/

Last night's update:
http://lostcoastoutpost.com/2013/may/9/photos-petrolia/

mrchad9

Re: Manhunt on the Lost Coast

by mrchad9 » Fri May 10, 2013 11:35 pm

OK a bit of news. This isn't really near the Lost Coast at all... so if this is him then perhaps the closure might move to Humbolt Redwoods Park? Much closer to there now, and a good bit of a drive away from where his vehicle was found. He either had help or hijacked something.

Law enforcement, fire and medical are responding to a report of a gunshot wound victim in the Fruitland Ridge area. Fruitland is east of the Avenue of the Giants between Myers Flat and Miranda. Air support has been requested.

http://lostcoastoutpost.com/2013/may/10 ... idge-area/

youngclimer123

by youngclimer123 » Sat May 11, 2013 1:06 am

that is one angry disturbed man...

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Sat May 11, 2013 2:27 am

I blame Moe for slapping him so much.

The following user would like to thank MoapaPk for this post
boyblue, Fletch, JHH60, lcarreau

boyblue

by boyblue » Sat May 11, 2013 2:43 am

MoapaPk wrote:I blame Moe for slapping him so much.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought he looks like Curly!

Hoodoo

by Hoodoo » Sat May 11, 2013 3:43 pm

Unfortunately this situation might throw a monkey wrench in anyone's plan to hike the northern segment of the Lost Coast Trail (between the Mattole and Shelter Cove) along with adjoining areas in the King Range Conservation Area until they find this guy. He is apparently quite familiar with this area, allegedly has backcountry skills and is assumed to be in the area hence the concerted manhunt.

According to the most recent report:

"The Bureau of Land Management's Arcata Field Office posted notice that the King Range National Conservation area, including the Lost Coast Trail, would be closed until further notice. Knight said he hopes the public honors the closure.
”We want people to stay out of there for their own safety,” he said. “Having people hiking around complicates things. It is a safety issue for them and for our staff.”

Bummer!

Daria

by Daria » Sun May 12, 2013 5:08 am

that's not the chief
I'm the top troll.

simonov

by simonov » Sun May 12, 2013 2:40 pm

Gingers have no souls.
Nunc est bibendum.

The following user would like to thank simonov for this post
anita

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Mon May 13, 2013 8:30 am

He's still on the run... Lost Coast is still closed. Doesn't make much sense to me at this point. Of they never catch him will they just close it forever? Erase it off the maps?

Bringing in SWAT teams from Sonoma and Shasta county. Probably something they should have done by last Wednesday. He'll be harder to find now, and the Humboldt County LEOs don't seem to be at the top of the game... to say the least.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Mon May 13, 2013 9:06 am

He may slip up and try to climb San Jacinto by Snow Creek-- then they'll get him.

The following user would like to thank MoapaPk for this post
norco17, simonov

Daria

by Daria » Mon May 13, 2013 5:37 pm

mrchad9 wrote:He's still on the run... Lost Coast is still closed. Doesn't make much sense to me at this point. Of they never catch him will they just close it forever? Erase it off the maps?

Bringing in SWAT teams from Sonoma and Shasta county. Probably something they should have done by last Wednesday. He'll be harder to find now, and the Humboldt County LEOs don't seem to be at the top of the game... to say the least.

Why is the Lost Coast trail closed when...

mrchad9 wrote:OK a bit of news. This isn't really near the Lost Coast at all... so if this is him then perhaps the closure might move to Humbolt Redwoods Park? Much closer to there now, and a good bit of a drive away from where his vehicle was found. He either had help or hijacked something.

Law enforcement, fire and medical are responding to a report of a gunshot wound victim in the Fruitland Ridge area. Fruitland is east of the Avenue of the Giants between Myers Flat and Miranda. Air support has been requested.

http://lostcoastoutpost.com/2013/may/10 ... idge-area/

hope they catch him by the end of June lulz.
I'm the top troll.

96avs01

by 96avs01 » Mon May 13, 2013 9:14 pm

^^^why, who wants to hike it in the fog? april or october are best

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Mon May 13, 2013 9:19 pm

Well the trail is closed... and it makes no sense. For all we know this guy has killed himself in some remote, off-trail area and they will never find him!

The initial search included scent-trained dogs, but no sign of Miller has been found. The search now includes dogs trained to find cadavers, in case Miller has killed himself.

There remains a staffing level of over seventy (70) law enforcement officers in the Petrolia/King Range area. Twelve (12) United States Marshals are expected to arrive at the search area by Tuesday (05-14-2013) to compliment the twelve (12) United States Marshals that are currently at the search area.

Lost Coast Trail, King Range Wilderness, & all recreation sites are CLOSED until further notice due to a current emergency.

Hoodoo

by Hoodoo » Tue May 14, 2013 12:38 am

96avs01 wrote:^^^why, who wants to hike it in the fog? april or october are best

Okay, I get it, expertise is not prerequisite to post a reply on Summit Post. I guess some folks just feel compelled to share whatever uninformed nugget of a shabby notion they mistakenly believe passes for wisdom because they can. I believe, however, there remains a significant percentage of site users that continue to actually seek valuable information regarding such things as destinations and current conditions.

While there may be stretches of fog that linger for days at a time along areas of the Lost Coast a great deal of the time between May and September one frequently encounters extraordinary weather in this area. Like days on end of clear skies and temperatures that occasionally get up to the mid-70s. I think we had a stretch last June of nearly three weeks in a row like this. My expertise? Well, since the view from my house actually looks down at a nice stretch of the area, I've enjoyed at least part of nearly twenty summers in a row there, and hiked along parts of the trail hundreds of times during these months I can assure the rest of you out there that I've often encountered stretches of days, even weeks, at a time during the months of May, June, July, August and September of lovely, fog free, non-rainy weather. During these months the days are also longer, ticks seem to be less of an issue, tides are mostly less severe because the ocean is generally a bit calmer and stream crossing are mostly negligible. Also while unrelenting fog can be a drag and create conditions that can be nearly 50 degrees cooler than inland temperatures on some 100+ degree summer days there are some foggy days, particularly when conditions are in transition, that are downright spectacularly surreal. Like when the King Range begins to reveal itself to beach wanderers little by little. It doesn't get much better than that. Sure seems like nice hiking and camping conditions but why take my word for it?

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Tue May 14, 2013 1:25 am

If you live there Hoodoo then perhaps you can shed some like on why the local LEOs are looking for a triple homicide perp by checking people's car trunks about 5 days too late when the fellow may be long gone already? And why bother closing a public area at all?

They may never find him.

Next

Return to California